Nelson 4th Grade News
Week of May 4th-8th
Austin Field Trip Reminders!! IMPORTANT
1. Please have your child at the school at 6AM, fed and ready to go.
2. We will be leaving right at 6:30AM, if your child is not here and ready we will have to leave without them.
3. Your child will be required to wear a specific T-shirt, that they will be given Monday morning at 6AM when they arrive at school. Please plan to stay for just a moment as your child changes into this required shirt and gives you back the shirt they came in.
4. There are NO cell phones or any electronic devices (tablets, MP3 players, etc.) allowed. Please plan to not send these Monday morning. There are many planned activities on the bus to keep the kiddos entertained.
5. If your child would like to take pictures, please send a disposable camera (labeled with their name) with them on Monday.
6. If your child would like to bring a jacket for the bus, it will not be needed while on the tours, please label this with your child's name.
7. No backpacks/purses will be allowed.
8. Make sure your child comes with 2 drinks on Monday morning. These will be for their lunch and dinner. Please make sure they are a reasonable size. Water is suggested for dinner since it will be eaten on the bus.
9. Please do NOT send your child with extra drinks or snacks. Extra water, snacks, lunch, and dinner will be provided
10. Do not send your child with any money. There will not be an opportunity to shop at gift shops or stop at snack/cafeteria areas.
It is going to be a great trip! Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns. My cell phone number is 817-692-9913 should you have an emergency. Please be mindful this is my personal phone number. I can't wait to share this opportunity with your kiddos!!
Let's Have Some Fun Reading! Imogene Gideon Elementary School is holding a Read-a-thon and you are invited. For the next several weeks we will be raising money while focusing on reading skills and we need everyone to participate. It's Easy.
Set up your child's personal webpage at the following website. You will need the secret code that was on the sheet that was sent home with your student on two papers last week. If you need this code again, please let me know and I will get it to you immediately! :)
Thank you as always for your support!
There isn't a TON going on this week, yet! :) If changes or updates are needed, I will send out an update and/or use Remind. Please make sure you have joined, this is a wonderful and easy way for me to communicate with you!
Also, HAPPY EARLY MOTHER'S DAY to all of you fellow moms! :) Always remember that you are wonderful at what you do, and have the most difficult and important job in the world. Our kiddos may not always be happy with us, but they are who they are because of us! My hubby is out of town this week, so I am having to remind myself of this a lot... ;)
Please sign up for my Remind to get text message or e-mail updates and reminders!
I will primarily be using this to send updates/reminders throughout the week. It is much easier than an e-mail as I can do it from my phone very quickly, anywhere, anytime!
What are we learning this week?
Language Arts: This week we continuing to focus on science, and using some of our ELA time to do this. We are reading engaging passages, working on a research project together, and completing various other activities to learn about the following; weather patterns, the water cycle, the sequence of the lunar phases, tides, lunar cycle effects on sunlight, etc. We are also exploring what persuasive texts are and how to write an effective persuasive paper.
Math: The remainder of the year will be focused on "Stepping Up to 5th Grade". Our math time will run like this; focus on fact fluency time, review of 4th grade concepts, gap closing time (objectives that students missed by the TEKS being moved around), and finally a key grade level skill that 5th grade teachers really would like to see mastered.
Science: We will continue as stated above from out ELA time.
Social Studies: We will continue to prepare for our Austin field trip, NEXT MONDAY! :)
Items to make note of...
1. Your child DOES have homework this week, for your convenience I have attached a copy of this below.
2. As always, please remember to check and sign your child's folder nightly, along with their daily reading log. They should be reminding you (responsibility), but please make sure you are encouraging this as well. This is a grade, and students are reminded daily to keep track of this. I don't even take off for missing parent signatures, as I know this is often hard to get with busy schedules. Of course I prefer them, but I just want the kiddos reading. Please encourage this with your child and express that this should be a very easy 100% in the grade book! :)
3. Remember that our Austin trip is this next Monday, the 11th. Please remember to have your child at the school at 6AM. Also, please remember to make sure they have eaten something before you drop them off to leave. A reminder note will come home this week with any other information! :)