March 17, 2014
Quote of the Week
“You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, or who had ever been alive.”
― James Baldwin
― James Baldwin
United for Achievement Meetings
- UFA Schedule:
- Tuesday, March 18: 5th grade – 3:00 – 3:45; 4th grade 4:00 – 4:45
- Wednesday, March 19: 3rd grade –3:00 – 3:45; 2nd grade 4:00 – 4:45
- Thursday, March 20: 1st grade – 3:00 – 3:45; kindergarten 4:00 – 4:45
- Each grade level is responsible for recruiting parents. Use any means that will get the largest number of parents to attend: Student-made invitations, phone calls, student projects at the meeting, etc.
- Claudia is calling all of the Focal 50 parents and I will send a message saying report cards will be distributed at the meeting.
- We will dedicate the 2nd half of faculty meeting to planning for UFA. You and your grade level partner(s) will facilitate the 30-45 minute meeting.
- You may customize the meeting as long as you include the following elements: 1) reporting on scores and reflecting on progress from trimester 2; 2) setting a reading goal and practicing an activity for trimester 3, 3) Emphasize independent reading and comprehension (e.g. starting AR in grades K-1, English reading levels in grade 2, etc.).
- Please have your “Road to Success” boards updated before the meeting. You might choose to take a picture and include it in your presentation to show the growth.
- Great starts to workshop last week! Thanks to Ms. Grisham, Ms. S.G. and Ms. Francina for the support and for grade-level teams for aligning the work.
- This Wednesday and next Wednesday will be dedicated to planning time for differentiated workshop time. Please use the document we started to document plans and assessment timelines.
Esperanza University: High Scores on District Evaluation
- Under the leadership of Claudia Ortiz-Silva, our after-school program made huge improvements on it’s district evaluation when compared to last year. Check out these great scores (out of a total of 5)!
- Safe Environment: 5.00
- Supportive Environment: 4.17
- Interaction: 4.04
- Engagement: 3.67
- Overall: 4.22
- Academic Climate: 4.11
Recess Line-Up Procedure
- Upper grade morning recess will end 5 minutes early every day this week so students can practice taking a knee on the bell and walking quickly to line on the whistle.
- Lines should be straight and orderly. No one should go to the bathroom or to the drinking fountain after the bell.
- If students are able to follow the procedure correctly, they will return to having 15 of recess next week.
- Primary grade teachers, please remind your students of the procedure as well.
Save the Dates (Minor changes)
- Friday, March 28: Caring School Community Professional Development
- Wesdnesday, April 3: Cesar Chavez Service Day. Each class will perform a service project during the school day. Please begin to think of a project that serves our school, Oakland or world community.
- Saturday, April 5: Spring Reading Festival, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 30: Talent Show!
- Tuesday, May 6: Teacher Appreciation Day
- Wednesday, May 7 – Friday, May 9 : 5th Grade Trip to Mission Springs
- Friday, May 9: Mother’s Day Celebration
- Saturday, May 10: Stonehurst Health Fair
- Tuesday, May 13: Esperanza Science Fair (projects due 5/9)
- Monday, May 19: OUSD Science Fair
- Tuesday, May 27: 5th Grade UFA Meeting/Celebration
- Wednesday, May 28: 4th Grade UFA Meeting/Celebration
- Thursday, May 29: 3rd Grade UFA Meeting/Celebration
- Tuesday, June 3: 2nd Grade UFA Meeting/Celebration
- Wednesday, June 4: 1st Grade UFA Meeting/Celebration
- Friday, June 6: Kindergarten Graduation
- Tuesday, June 10: 5th Grade Graduation
- Thursday, June 12: Last Day of School
Core Value of the Week
- I show Empathy. I care for all people.
- Demuestro empatía. Me preocupo por todas las personas.
- New Traffic System Starts at 8 a.m.
- Monday Meeting on the back patio at 8:30
- Faculty Meeting: 3 pm
- Mr. Jacques off site for principal PD
- 5th Grade UFA at 3:00
- 4th Grade UFA at 4:00
- Mr. Jacques Off Site for Principal Leadership Meeting (9-3)
- Cost Meeting: 9:20 – 10:00
- Farmers Market
- No PD This week: Please meet between 2:00 and 3:00 to plan workshop
- 3rd Grade UFA at 3:00 pm
- 2nd Grade UFA at 4:00 pm
- Unidos por Esperanza – Parent Meeting in the auditorium at 8:45
- SST Meetings between 10 and 3.
- 1st Grade UFA: 3:00 pm
- Kindergarten UFA: 4:00 pm
- Dual Language Leadership Meeting from 3:00 – 4:30.
- New traffic system starts Monday.
- SSC 3:00 in the auditorium
- Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP) Conference for Region 3 from 8:30 – 12:30 at Elmhurst MS
- Thank you, teachers, for all of your thoughtful work on the report cards. We will distribute them at UFA meetings this week.