A Milne in Amman
Teaching. Adventures. Clumsiness. Love.
This was me Thursday morning. The principal and I decided at the end of last year that we would switch to new vocabulary books for this year. We ordered the new books, and I received a shiny teacher's edition. I was quite happy with the new books until I discovered that there are no tests in my book. The tests were in my book last year! It will take hours of extra work to make vocabulary tests each week. I was not a happy camper.
Other than that though, the new school year seems to be off to a good start. The kids are settling in nicely, and I am enjoying my new students. I think I even know all of their names. I have a lot more confidence in myself as a teacher and my first evaluation went well. Any of you who know me very well will laugh: one of the things the person evaluating me said is that I am very loud. Hmmm. True. She wants me to work on having a loud voice and a quiet voice. Is there really such thing as a quiet voice for the oldest in a large family? I guess I can try this "quiet voice" thing.
One day I am going to learn to take my own advice. Here is story about what happens when I don't: Before school started, all of the full time staff went on a retreat together. We stayed at a hotel with a pool. Most of the male staff spent the whole time seeing who could make the biggest splash by jumping into the five foot pool. It made me cringe every time they did this and I kept reminding them that it wasn't safe to jump into such shallow water. After about an hour of this, they managed to convince me to see how big of a splash I could make. Lo and behold, I jump one time and land square on my tailbone at the bottom of the pool. It is mostly healed now, but it was very painful for a few weeks. Altogether, it was an amazing retreat and I was thankful for the time spent getting to know the my co-workers better.
- Thank God for great start to the school year.
- Thank God that Jordan continues to be safe haven in the midst of an unstable region.
- Thank God for my new roommate who has been a blessing to share a home with.
- Pray that I would not feel overwhelmed by all my responsibilities.
- Pray for me as I deal with the longing for a family of my own.
- Pray for the kids in Mafraq and all those who are forced to flee their home country.
- Pray for open doors to show our Father's heart.
- Pray for my students as they deal with all the problems and emotions that come with being a teen.
- Pray for me as I look for a church home.
- Pray that all my financial needs would continue to be met.
PO Box 142011
Email me: email@example.com
*Please remember that this newsletter is confidential. Please DO NOT share, forward, post or distribute without asking first*