News from Mint Valley Elementary School
March 2023, Issue 2
Upcoming Dates - Mark Your Calendars!
- 2/27-3/3 - Dr. Seuss Week & Scholastic Book Fair (see Dr. Seuss calendar below)
- 3/1 - Early Release
- 3/2 - After School Math Club - 3:30-4:45 pm
- 3/2 - Dr. Seuss' Birthday
- 3/3 - Mustang of the Month Assembly
- 3/6-10 - Classified Appreciation Week
- 3/7 - After School Go Girl Go! Club - 3:30-4:30 pm
- 3/8 - Early Release
- 3/9-10 -Spring Conferences (EARLY RELEASE at 12:30 pm)
- 3/9 - CISPUS 5th Grade Parent Meeting @ Olympic Elementary 6:00 pm
- 3/14 - After School Go Girl Go! Club - 3:30-4:30 pm
- 3/15 - Early Release
- 3/16 - PTO Meeting 3:45 pm
- 3/17 - St. Patrick's Day
- 3/21 - After School Go Girl Go! Club - 3:30-4:30 pm
- 3/22 - Early Release
- 3/23 - After School Math Club - 3:30-4:45 pm
- 3/23 - Kinder Roundup 5:00-6:30 pm
- 3/28 - After School Go Girl Go! Club - 3:30-4:30 pm
- 3/29 - Early Release
- 3/30 - After School Math Club - 3:30-4:30 pm
- 3/31 - 2 HOUR Early Release
Spring Conferences are March 9th and 10th, 2023
All students, regardless of whether they have a conference, will be dismissed 3 HOURS EARLY at 12:30 PM both days.
CLASSIFIED APPRECIATION WEEK
This school could NOT run successfully with all the support staff that we know and love. THANK YOU, CLASSIFIED STAFF!
MARCH 23, 2023, - 5:00-6:30 PM
Submit absences on the Longview Schools App!
Of course, you are always welcome to call the school directly, as well, at (360) 575-7581.
FOR VACATION ABSENCES: The Mint Valley Elementary secretaries have a special form for families to use when they take their children out of school for vacation. It must be pre-approved (and with sufficient notice), by the principal and teacher so that homework is available and the absence has the least impact on the student's learning.
Mrs. Allis' Corner
This month, we talked about having EMPATHY and read the book, "A Little SPOT of Empathy: A Story About Understanding and Kindness," by Diane Elber, as well as "The Cool Bean," by Jory John and "The Invisible Boy," by Patrice Barton .
Your kids have worked very hard this month try to learn how empathy for another person can help them to be a better, more well-rounded person as they learn to understand and recognize the thoughts, feelings and concerns of others. Remember to put yourself in someone else's shoes!
Monthly Trait of the Month!
5th Grade Parent CISPUS Meeting!
After School Math Club
Our after school Math Club is roaring along!
Mint Valley offers an After School “Mustang Round Up” Club for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students. From 3:30 – 4:45, club members will participate in simple games and enjoyable tasks related to math concepts and strategies. It is our intention that in working with number patterns and relationships in this fun-filled setting, students will increase their overall mathematical enjoyment and confidence
If you are interested in being a part of this after school club's final session, please contact our Math Specialist, Mr. Peterson, at the information below.
Space is limited! To accommodate as many students as possible, there will be three 6-week sessions. Our last session begins next month!
Session Date (each Thursday):
Apr. 13 – May 18
Feel free to contact our Math Specialist, Craig Peterson, at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Join us in celebrating the latest Mustangs of the Week!
Our Lost & Found cup runneth over.....
See any missing coats, hats, backpacks or other items that you've been looking for this month? Please feel free to drop by the office and have a look. After a while the items will be donated, so don't delay!
Next PTO Meeting
Thursday, March 16th, 3:45pm
Mint Valley Elementary PTO Presents "Family Bingo Night!"
Book lovers!...Mint Valley Scholastic Book Fair is coming soon!
FEBRUARY 27TH - MARCH 3RD
Mint Valley Elementary School Library
Monday, Feb. 27th - Lunch, Recesses & 3:30-4:30 pm
Tuesday, Feb. 28th - Lunch, Recesses & 3:30-4:30 pm
Wednesday, March 1st - Lunch, Recesses & 2:30-3:30 pm
Thursday, March 2nd - Lunch, Recesses & 3:30-4:30 pm
Friday, March 3rd - Lunch, Recesses & 3:30-4:30 pm
Visit our ONLINE Book Fair at http://www.scholastic.com/bf/mintvalleyes to purchase items or to add money to your student's "wallet" so you don't have to send cash to school with them!
Pick-up and Drop-off
Drop off and Pick up
- School Starts at 9:00 am. Gates open at 8:45 am.
- Please do not drop students off before 8:40 am.
- Morning drop-off gates are open from 8:40 AM – 9:00 AM.
- Everyone dropping off students before school should be using the drive-thru gate area on the north end of campus.
- Students arriving at school after 9:00 am need to check in at the office
- End of the school day.
- 3:30 pm on Mon., Tues., Thurs., & Fri.
- 2:30 pm on Wed.
Drive-Thru Gates will be open
- 3:15PM – 3:45PM ~ M T Th F
- 2:15PM – 2:45PM ~ W
The back gate to the apartments will be open from 8:45 am to 9:00 am in the morning and from 3:30 pm to 3:45 pm in the afternoon.
All other walkers will exit campus at the gate near the main office. For everyone's safety, all students should use the sidewalk on 38th ave. when arriving and departing school. The crossing guards are there to help ensure everyone stays safe.