October 4, 2019
The SkillsUSA Store Has Gone Social
Have you heard? SkillsUSA has a new social media account for the SkillsUSA Store. Make sure to follow the new store account, as you will no longer be able to see the coolest and newest SkillsUSA clothing, accessories and gift items on the SkillsUSA Facebook page. Instead, check them all out and more through the store’s own Instagram posts.
To see future promotions for these products, follow @skillsusastore on Instagram and earn chances to win free prizes.
- Instagram account name: @skillsusastore
- Instagram hashtag: #SkillsUSAStore #ShopSkillsUSA
- URL: https://www.instagram.com/skillsusastore/
Apply Now for ACTE Teacher and Lifetime Service Awards
The Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE) is seeking nominations for the National Trade and Industrial Education Division Awards. The deadline is Nov. 1. Qualified individuals may be nominated in the following categories, or you may nominate yourself. (If you nominate someone else, please inform that person in advance.)
- Lifetime Service
- Outstanding New Teacher Award
- Outstanding Teacher Award
The winner in each category receives a $500 travel stipend to attend the ACTE CareerTech VISION conference in Anaheim, Calif., Dec. 4-Dec. 7. ACTE’s CareerTech VISION offers four days of professional development, networking opportunities and direct access to thousands of people representing all facets of career and technical education. Award winners will be notified by Nov. 15.
SkillsUSA actively participates in this annual conference, so look for SkillsUSA on the program and visit its trade show booth.
For conference information, go to: www.acteonline.org/event/careertech-vision-2019/.
To nominate someone for the Teacher and Lifetime Service awards, go to: http://bit.ly/ACTE-2019-Awards.
New Theme for 2019-20 Announced
The SkillsUSA competition theme is used throughout the year in membership materials and as the topic for Chapter Display, Prepared Speech and Promotional Bulletin Board competitions at the local, state and national levels. The theme for the 2019-20 year is:
SkillsUSA: Champions at Work
Within this topic, contestants might illustrate or discuss a variety of ideas. For details, go to: www.skillsusa.org/about/theme/ .
Enjoy the Benefits of Professional Membership
The SkillsUSA registration site is officially open for the new school year. If you or any chapter advisors need assistance with SkillsUSA membership or registration, hotline operators are ready to answer questions about starting a new chapter, ways to engage chapter members or strategies to strengthen an existing chapter. Operators are on call 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday; and 11 a.m.-7 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday (Eastern time). To reach the hotline, call 844-875-4557 or email email@example.com. You can also chat online on the membership registration site.
Professional members receive these great benefits:
- 2019-20 SkillsUSA Championships Technical Standards. The official competition guide for the SkillsUSA Championships contains rules for all national competitive events, including an overview, lists of technical skills and knowledge required, clothing requirements, eligibility and equipment lists. Note: The latest SkillsUSA Championships contest updates and the official SkillsUSA Championships scorecards are located online here: skillsusa.org/competitions/skillsusa-championships/contest-updates/
- Jump into STEM! Curriculum includes middle-school and elementary-school STEM career exploration activities that can be taught by high-school members. This is a great opportunity to expose students to STEM careers and recruit for career and technical education programs as well as SkillsUSA.
- SkillsUSA Career Essentials: Foundations. This complete curriculum includes 29 lesson plans that support the SkillsUSA Framework and prepare students for career readiness.
SkillsUSA professional members receive all of these materials when they submit membership along with a valid email address. The 2019-20 SkillsUSA Championships Technical Standards and other materials are provided through a digital delivery system. National dues for professional members are $20 plus state dues, which vary. The complete listing of 2019-20 state dues and deadlines is online and included in the membership kits.
Becoming a professional member of SkillsUSA is one of the best ways to demonstrate to students the importance of joining a professional organization and the opportunities that membership will provide.