FAC Weekly Update
March 6, 2020
Good afternoon, Fine Arts Center Family
I hope that you had a terrific week! We started the week welcoming back our 1:30 p.m. Dance Students from a successful trip to the National High School Dance Festival. Many thanks to Ms. Bunts and Ms. Lee for organizing the trip, and congrats to the students on a successful Gala performance! The week was capped off with a wonderful concert by the 1:30 p.m. Jazz Studio. The students worked very hard to prepare their transcription performances, and did a marvelous job with this critical component of jazz education!
Here is the latest from the halls of the Fine Arts Center...
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”
― Jocko Willink and Leif Babin, The Dichotomy of Leadership: Balancing the Challenges of Extreme Ownership to Lead and Win
Results - FAC School Climate Survey
- Mr. Popat
We STILL Need Your Help!
Parents - please help us sell tickets at events. There are events on the list that have no one signed up, and therefore the students will not benefit from ticket proceeds. These proceeds are used for amazing guest artist and field trip experiences - part of what makes attending the FAC special. Selling tickets is an hour-long commitment, but the benefits to our students are lasting!
Click on the following link to access the Sign Up Genius - https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090e45ada82daafc1-2020.
LAST CALL! Music Club of Greenville - Scholarship for Grade 12 Students
The Music Club of Greenville will once again offer a scholarship to instrumentalists and vocalists who will be pursuing a degree in:
- Music Performance
- Music Education
- Musical Theatre
The deadline for the application is March 8, 2020. Please click on the following link for more information and to access the application - https://musicclubgreenville.org/scholarship-application.
TONIGHT! An Evening of Song - Danielle Knox and Jon Grier
GLOW Lyric Theatre Concerts
Glow Lyric Theatre will produce The Earth Has Music, a one-act original piece featuring opera, dance and spoken word at the Fine Arts Center in Greenville, South Carolina on March 13 & 14th, 2020 at 7:30 p.m. In this production, mosaics of music, movement and spoken word touch on the delicate and contentious relationship between humans and planet Earth. Tickets are available online at https://glowlyric.com/raising-voices-series/ or by phone: (864) 558-4569.
Tickets are $25, however, we can offer free admission to students who commit to attending. Students must stop by the main office to inform Mr. Popat of their intention to attend.
Coming Soon to the FAC...
Voice Masterclass with Met Opera Singer
This past season, Danielle performed the role of Violetta in a debut with Hawaii Opera Theatre in their production of La Traviata, Mimì in La Bohéme with Fairfax Symphony and in a
return to The Metropolitan Opera to reprise the role of Frasquita for their productions of Carmen. In addition, she appeared as a soloist in multiple classical masterworks
including Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9 and Faure’s Requiem at Carnegie Hall, Verdi’s Requiem with Fairfax Symphony and the National Philharmonic, Fauré’s Requiem and Vaughan Williams’ Serenade to Music with Eugene Concert Choir, Händel’s Messiah with La Jolla Symphony, Elijah with DC-based Choralis, and in the National Philharmonic’s Bernstein Choral Celebration concert.
Kerry Wilkerson made his Carnegie Hall debut in June 2017 to rave reviews as baritone
soloist in the Vaughan Williams Sancta Civitas. His solo career has taken him up and
down the east coast performing renowned oratorios and exciting recitals. He recently retired
from an esteemed career with the United States Army Chorus; singing and conducting
for world leaders, Supreme Court Justices, politicians and dignitaries of many nations
during official ceremony and protocol events.
Jazz Masterclass with the Joe Davidian Trio
Join the Greenville County Schools in our Salute to Education!
Summer Arts Intensive Programs - Financial Assistance
The Fine Arts Center has set aside some funds to assist students who are applying to summer arts intensive programs. Please note the following guidelines:
- Any student applying for financial assistance must attend the Fine Arts Center for the 2020-2021 School Year.
- Applicants must complete the Google Form linked below. All applications must come with proof of acceptance into the summer intensive program(s), or proof of application if acceptance is pending.
- Selection criteria are as follows
- Financial Need as determined by a pupil's P.I.P. status. The Pupils in Poverty indicator is accessible to us via PowerSchool.
- Merit, based on Grade Point Average and Teacher Input
- Any special circumstances that are causing financial hardship to the family
The Google Form can be accessed here - https://forms.gle/SuQyN5a47ZAn7hhM9. Note that the form can be accessed by students only, via their GCS Google Account. Forms are due on Thursday, April 9, 2020.
Please feel free to contact our Main Office at (864) 355-2550 or email:
Ms. Erin Poole - Secretary to the Director - email@example.com
Mark Your Calendar for "The Momentum Series"
Please join us for this wonderful event, and please spread the word to your Greenville neighbors!
Please spread the word to your Greenville friends and family about our concerts, events, and performances!
- March 6: "An Evening of Song" at the Carolina Music Museum
- March 13, 14: "The Earth Has Music," presented by the GLOW Lyric Theatre; 7:30 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall
- March 17: Chamber Strings Concert, 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall
- March 19: Jazz Masterclass with John Pizzarelli, Peace Center
- April 1: Brass/Winds/Percussion Concert, 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall
- April 3: FAC Generation to Generation Concert, 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall
- April 8: Jazz Concert, 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall
- April 10 - April 19: Spring Break
- April 20: The Momentum Series, presented by the FAC Creative Writing Studio; 7-9 p.m., M. Judson Bookstore
- April 22: Jazz All-Stars at the Peace Center
- April 28: Theatre Spring Performances, 7:00 p.m., Black Box Theatre
- April 29: Jazz Concert, 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall
Community Performances Featuring FAC Students
- Logos Theatre - A Peep Behind the Scenes - March 6 - April 25. https://thelogostheatre.com/
- Greer Children's Theatre - Frozen Jr. - March 6-8 & 13-15, 2020 - http://www.cityofgreer.org/827/Greer-Childrens-Theatre
- SC Children's Theatre - Curious George: The Golden Meatball - April 25 - May 3 - https://scchildrenstheatre.org/shop/curious-george-the-golden-meatball/
- Greenville Theatre - The Producers - June 5 - 28 - https://www.greenvilletheatre.org/2019-2020
- Milltown Players - The Music Man - July 24 - August 8 - http://www.milltownplayers.org/currentseason
Concert Opportunites for Students and Families!
STUDENTS - Check Out This Great Concert Opportunity!
World-renowned guitarist and singer John Pizzarelli and Grammy® Award-winning artist Catherine Russell are coming to the Peace Center on Thursday, March 19, for a night of jazz! This performance will pay homage to Nat King Cole and the iconic singers featured on his historic television show like Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee and Dinah Washington and more.
The Peace Center is excited to extend a special $10 ticket offer to our area students! Students can secure these tickets by using code PCSTUDENT online, at the Box Office, or over the phone (846.467.3000). For ease, they have created a link where folks can purchase tickets with the code already applied: (click here).