The Lord of the Flies
By William Golding
What's an Allegory?
Chapter 1: The Sound of the Shell
1. Boys land on the island
2. They discover a large pink conch
3. Ralph is elected leader over Jack
4. Jack finds pig. Tries to kill it. Can't.
Chapter 2: Fire on the Mountain
1. Ralph gathers boys with the conch
2. The beast is mentioned for the first time
3. They let the fire get out of hand
4. They used Piggy's glasses to start the fire. Hence the name "Fire on the Mountain"
Chapter 3: Huts on the Beach
1. Simon is introduced
2. They realized they might be there longer than they thought so they built shelter
3. People start taking sides
4. Ralph and Piggy build huts on the beach
Chapter 4: Painted Faces and Long Hair
1. The littleuns were having nightmares
2. Pig hunt
3. Jack tells everyone about the hunt
4. Piggy fusses and gets punched in the face
Chapter 5: Beast from Water
1. Ralph call boys for a serious meeting
2. Simon is mistaken for a beast
3. Simon attempts to explain that the boys themselves could be the beast they fear
4. Jack and Ralph get into an intense argument
Chapter 6: Beast from Air
1. They see dead parachutist
2. Twins tell Ralph about the "beast"
3. Jack wants to hunt it
4. They go to the rocks only to find nothing
Chapter 7: Shadows and Small Trees
1. Jack and Ralph lead the search for the beast
2. They chase boar and stick it with a spear
3. Jack's arm gets his arm cut
4. Simon disappears in the forest
Chapter 8: Gift for the Darkness
1. Both Jack and Ralph claim to have seen the beast.
2. Jack no longer wants Ralph to be a leader.
3. Piggy thinks they should build the signal fire on the beach.
4. Jack and Roger brutally murder and decapitate a pig.
Chapter 9: A View to a Death
The title of chapter 9 refers to the death of Simon.1. Simon wakes up with a bloody nose.
2. Piggy and Ralph go to the feast, hoping they will be able to control whatever happens.
3. Simon is mistaken by the rest of the boys for a beast.
4. The rest of the boys tear him apart and he falls off a cliff.
Chapter 10: The Shell and the Glasses
The title refers to the conch shell and Piggy's glasses.1. Ralph and Piggy awaken feeling bad about what they did last night.
2. Jack ties up Wilfred and beats him.
3. Jack says Maurice and Roger should raid Ralph's camp.
4. Ralph is awakened at his camp by the screams of his boys; they get attacked by some of Jack's boys.
Chapter 11: Castle Rock
The title refers to Jack's base. It is called castle rock.1. Ralph tries to light fire in cold air; cant, no glasses.
2. Ralph goes to Castle Rock with conch.
3. Armed guards throw stones at Ralph.
4. Ralph and Jack fight for the second time.
Chapter 12: Cry of the Hunters
1. Ralph hides in the forest.
2. At night Ralph sneaks to the entrance to find Samneric.
3. The twins give Ralph food but tell him to leave.
4. After being chased by all the bad boys, Ralph stumbles across a British Naval Officer and cries.
Sam n Eric
Hair and Face Paint
Pig's Head on Stick
Civilization vs. Savagery
Experience vs. Innocence
Nature of Violence
Garden of Eden
Why does Ralph cry at the end of the story?
2. He just watched Piggy die and he is traumitized