Second Grade Rock Stars
We are Rockin' and a' Rollin'!
Next on tour: Upcoming Events
Coming on Tour Soon:
- 08/26: Back to School Night: 6-8pm on Del Paso Campus
- 08/28: First Day of Library
- 09/03: WAVE Meeting: 6:30-7:30pm
- 09/07: No School: Labor Day
- 09/08: Parents Get Googley Night 6pm-8pm Del Paso Cafeteria
- 09/11: Crazy Hair Day
- 09/17: WAVE Bingo Night
- 09/24: WCMS Chili Cook Off
Our Highlights: What We've Been Rockin' At!
We are beginning to get into the swing of things here in the Rock Star classroom! We began Art, Spanish, and P.E. this week and we will begin Library this coming Friday! We've been building stamina in reading and even used shoes to figure out how to pick a good fit book!
Here's what students said are some of their favorite things so far about second grade...
- Morning Meeting
- Doing Cheers
- Math Workshop
- Listening to music while I work
- Class Games
- Reading Workshop
- Their teacher
- Making New Friends
- Mix-it-up Lunch Buddies
We did one of my favorite teamwork activities this week called Silent Puzzles. Students were in groups and received puzzles to put together. The trick though was that students could not use any voices or sounds, they had to work together silently to be able to assemble it. My favorite part of silent puzzles though is this twist...I mix up the puzzles so each group has some pieces that belong to another group! It starts off as a great team building activity in small groups but really ends up spreading into working as a team as a whole class! They realize that they are missing pieces and also want to help figure out where their extra puzzles pieces go. Ultimately, no group could have completed their puzzle without working together with other groups. Check out the pictures above!
Rockin' and Rollin' into Next Week!
Reading: Building Stamina, Book Shopping, Beginning Reading Strategies
Writing: Jotting ideas down, How writers get ideas to write about
Language: Capitals and Proper Nouns
Social Studies: Maps, Continents and Oceans, Directions (N, S, E, W)
Questions to ask your child...
- Who was your favorite thing that you did in Spanish this week? Art? P.E.?
- Why do we set goals for ourselves?
- What was the Class WOW Goal? (Tracking the speaker the whole time) How do you think you did on meeting this goal?
- What are some ways that we show respect in the classroom and at school?
- How is picking a good fit book like picking the right pair of shoes?
- What's your favorite cheer?
Contact the Band Manager!
Second Grade Teacher
Westlake Charter School
All of Second Grade Reminders Text: @wcs2nd to the phone number: 81010
Messages that only pertain to our class: text @4rockstar to the number: 81010