Stremelstein's Classroom News
Mrs. Himelstein & Ms. Stremel- First Grade Room 202
May 2, 2016
Safari Field Trip . This Thursday, May 5th is our Fieldtrip. Please remember to pack a sack lunch and disposable water bottle for your child. If you requested cafeteria lunch for your child, please pack some extra snacks for snack time. All items need to be disposable.
Safari Field Trip Chaperones: Thank you to our chaperones for joining us on our fieldtrip: Ms. Jessica Muir, Ms. Fragoso, Mrs. Stapley, Mr. McCollough, Mrs. Murphy, Mrs. Knapek, Mr. Blank, Mrs. Anna Lee (Freeborn), Mr. Lewak, Mrs. Provance. Parent chaperones will pay a reduced admission fee of $10.00 to enter the park (unless you have an annual pass). Chaperones please send the cash in a sealed envelope with your name printed on the outside by Tuesday, May 3rd. On Thursday, please come straight to the classroom at 8:30 & bring a backpack to carry students lunches in. We will leave as soon as possible after the bell rings and after attendance is taken.
Earth's Place in the Universe Home Extension Project is due on May 4th. We look forward to having the children share their projects! Thank you for helping your child be successful with this project!
Classroom Wishlist: Expo Markers, wipes & pencils:)
Dates to Calendar
Character Trait for May is Empathy: We can show concern for others.
5/4 Earth Project Due
5/5 Safari Park Fieldtrip 8:45-2:00
5/8 Mother's Day
5/13 Flag Salute: Athlete of the Month
5/19 Open House 6-7p.m.
5/20 AR cutoff date
5/27 Flag Salute: Student of the Month-(Empathy) & AR awards
6/17 Flag Salute
6/19 Father's Day
6/22 Last Day of School/ Minimum Day
- Identify the main topic and retell key details of a text.
- Ask and answer questions to help determine or clarify the meaning of words and phrases in a text.
- dipthongs _au & _aw
- _au, & _aw
Spelling Words of the Week: Word Wall Words, Word family Words and Challenge Words
Word Wall Words: across, behind, even, move, under
Word Family Words: cause, fault, haul, haunt, jaunt, pause, claw, draw, paw, saw, straw, thaw
Challenge Words: applause, applesauce, outlaw, seesaw, withdraw
addition, add, addend, sum, subtraction, subtract, equation, equal sign, true equation, false equation, count on, count back, make 10, place value.
Math-Addition & Subtraction
Addition & Subtraction: 1)Use addition and subtraction within 20 to solve word problems.
2) Add and subtract within 20, demonstrating fluency for addition and subtraction within 10
3) The commutative property shows us that we can add numbers in any order and still get the same sum. 4) The equal sign in an equation means "the same as" the quantity on one side of the equal sign should always be the same as the quantity on the other side of the equal sign.
- Write informative/explanatory texts in which students name a topic, supply some facts about the topic and provide some sense of closure.