Lord of the Flies Project
By: Gus Bondi
Types of governments and how they relate to the story
Government that Jack's tribe represents - I would say that Jack's tribe represents a dictatorship. Jack is in charge of everyone and he makes sure they now he's in charge. The boys in the tribe are basically acting as his thugs to carry out his dirty work against Ralph and the others. One quote that shows how Jacks tribe is run like a dictatorship is when Eric and Sam told Ralph "He's coming to see if were keeping watch. Quick, Ralph hide." (chapter 12, pg. 190) This quote shows how the boys are being controlled by Jack and are fearful of him.
Government that Ralph's tribe represents - Ralphs tribe represents more of a democracy type style of government. It is run very similarly to a Democratic Republic style government. Everyone has the right to vote and choose pretty much what they want to do. However their are rules and regulations that they have to follow and if they don't then they are held accountable usually just with verbal reminders. Their is no harsh punishment. One quote that represents how this is a democracy is when Piggy would say "I got the conch" (Quote is used many times throughout the story) this symbolizes how the conch is suppose to bring everyone together and it makes sure that anyone who has the conch gets a chance to speak. Ralphs tribe also holds meeting where they discuss problems which is a common thing that many democracy type style governments do.
My Island Society Government
My Island society Constitution
1. Everyone will have the right to vote.
2. Everyone will have freedom of speech.
3. If you are arrested or suspected of a crime you will have the right to an attorney and fair trial.
4. In order for leaders to be elected they will have to be voted in by the people.
5. The society will not be divided everyone will have equal opportunity to succeed.
6. Taxes will also be equal no person or group will have to pay more or less taxes than another person or group.
7. There will be as little government involvement as possible in business and society.
8. Those who break rules will be punished to the full extent of the law depending on how harsh the crime.
9. Crimes like murder, robbery, rape, extortion and other serious offenses will not be tolerated.
10. Everyone will have the ability to a have a free education except for college where if you can't afford it you will at least have the ability to apply for free college or you can apply for financial aid.
These rules and regulations will be enforced by Law Enforcement officials who have extensive training in there field of work.
Real life example of country/government conflict
Current Political conflict/War between two opposing parties
1.. Bolton, John. "Overthrowing Saddam Hussein Was Right Move for the U.S. and Its Allies." Theguardian. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Apr. 2015.
2. "Google Images." Google Images. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Apr. 2015.
3. "Make Sure You Know Your Control Argument For And Against." LAWS. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Apr. 2015.
4. YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 30 Apr. 2015.