GHMS Newsletter - 9/16/2022
Important Points for Parents
Message from the Principal
- Bulldog Bash Shout Out - The Bulldog Bash was an amazing success! It was the largest turn out, most organized, and the students behaved unbelievably well! I was so proud of them. I would like to thank ALL of the Booster Club parents and teachers that volunteered to stay and help supervise the students.
- School Play Auditions - ALL Grades! Matilda Jr. is this year's school play! See details below to join the Google Classroom and audition.
- PTO Spirit Night - Rita's - September 20th from 4:00 - 10:00 (See Flyer Below)
- School Picture Day - October 7th
- 8th Grade Only - PSAT - October 12, 2022
- Lost and Found - Lost and found is already starting to build up. Please have your student check for any misplaced items.
- Car Rider Line - Parents, please help us keep our car rider line safe for our students. The outside lane (lane furthest from the school) should only be used for cars going around to park or cars going around after students have been dropped off or picked up. No students should be let out in the outside lane of the car rider line. We also ask that you continue to pull as far up in the car rider line as physically possible. Your student can walk to your car and load the vehicle. This will allow the maximum number of cars to load and unload at the same time.
- Cell Phones/Smart Watches - If your student chooses to bring a cell phone or smartwatch to school, it should be turned off and put away.
- Sick Students - Parents please take a look at this link with some helpful advice if and when your child needs to miss school due to illness.
- Here is the link to Parent Portal.
Notes from the nurse
School Health Rooms
Every school's health room is managed by a registered nurse. Any student who is not feeling well should obtain a pass from the appropriate staff or faculty member to visit the health room. The health room is designed to assist students with chronic health conditions and is an emergency station to care for minor injuries and illnesses that occur at school. Injures that occurred outside the school environment should be treated at home or by a health care provider prior to returning back to school. Our school nurses cannot diagnose illnesses. A nurse cannot administer any medications without a medication consent form (see link below for form M105) completed by health care provider and/or parent or guardian.
The health and well-being of all students is of utmost importance. Procedurally, our nurses work towards returning students back to the classroom as soon as it is advisable. However, sometimes a student may need to go home due to illness. We will request that you pick up your child if his/her medical condition is unstable, or if he/she is not capable of participating in the daily school activities. This decision is based upon an assessment conducted by the school nurse. In addition, the school must also follow the DHEC School Exclusion List for specific medical conditions to be in compliance with SC State Health guidelines.
Are you ready for a reading competition!
Does your homeroom have what it takes to out-read all other homerooms this quarter?! I’m so excited to share with you the GHMS Reading Dashboard (link also available on the GHMS website) we will be using to track all independent reading our students complete throughout the year!
Our first quarter competition has started and will end on Friday, October 14th. The homeroom that reads the most total pages will receive a donut breakfast thanks to our PTO!
How does the Dashboard work? Check out this video!
Gold Hill Volleyball
Good Luck Ladies!
Come out and Support our Cheer and Dance Team!!!
The Cheer and Dance Teams performed in front of the 500+ crowd at the Bulldog Bash. Both teams were phenomenal.
Great Job Ladies!
Two of My Favorite Things!
These are TWO of My Favorite Things!!! GHMS Students and Josh Allen!!!
Check out one our Bulldogs, Annaliese, posing with OUR favorite player, Josh Allen!
Go Bills! I mean Bulldogs! :)
Voluntary SC student accident insurance and dental insurance
Please take a minute and complete the two forms below. The first form provides the school with early dismissal, transportation and student pick-up information. The second form provides the school with information if your child would like to walk/bike to and from school. The data from these forms is captured confidentially for the front office at GHMS only. Click on the link to complete.
Early Dismissal, Transportation & Pick-Up Information
Free Tutoring through Discus
Please see below for free tutoring offered by the State through tutor.com
As we move into the last few months of the school year, some students may find themselves in need of additional academic support. The South Carolina Department of Education (SCDE) and the South Carolina State Library (SCSL) are partnering to offer free online tutoring services, provided by Tutor.com, to any student in South Carolina. In addition to tutoring in content areas, students may also drop off papers for review, seek help in test preparation, or ask specific questions about their work. The around-the-clock service is available seven days per week.
Students can access Tutor.com through Discus (students must access it this way – if they just go to tutor.com if may not work). Every student has a link for Discus on their ClassLink LaunchPad. Elementary students have SC Discus Kids, and middle/ high have SC Discus. See pictures of the icons below.