AJS Weekly Bison Tracks
December 17, 2021
- December 20 - Student Council Christmas Hat Day
- December 20 - Locker Clean Out - Junior High
- December 21 -Student Council PJ Day & Dress Your Pet
- December 22 - January 4 - Christmas Break
- January 5, Day 1 - Classes Resume
- January 5, 2:14 p.m. - Early Dismissal - Staff Meeting
- January 11 - Final Exam Sittings Begin (see schedule below)
- January 14 - Drama 10/20/30 Performance
- January 18, 6:00 p.m. - EIPS Secondary French Immersion Info Session (In-Person)
- January 18, 6:00 p.m. - Virtual Showcase: Agriculture – Plant Systems (Free)
- January 24, 6:30 p.m. - School Council Meeting (In-person and Virtual)
- January 27 - Family Literacy Day
- January 31 - Professional Learning Day (no classes)
Attention!! No Access to Front Parking Lot
A friendly reminder when dropping off or picking up students, please do not use the front of the school between the hours of 8:20 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. which is designated for buses only. As well, please refrain from parking in staff parking stalls. You are welcome to drive to the back of the school for pick-ups and drop-offs.
As well, when driving to the back of the school, there is no stopping at the entrance. Traffic must flow. Please pull off to the side if you need to stop.
Thank you for your cooperation.
REMINDER: BRING YOUR MASK
Just a friendly reminder to students, please ensure to bring a mask or two to school. It is always good practice to keep a couple of extra masks in your bag in case you need to replace it during the day. While we have disposable masks here, the cloth masks from home are more environmentally friendly.
Thank you for monitoring your health and keeping the entire AJS family safe.
Junior High Locker Clean-Out
Please take a moment to view the lost and found items on the folding tables located under the ramp in front of the office.
AJS Jr. Sr. High Staff Recognition 2021-2022
AJS School Council is excited to begin a weekly staff recognition initiative! The staff at AJS go above and beyond to care for our kids every single day. What better way to say "thank you" than with a staff kudos!
Parents and students are welcome to fill out the Google form below, offering meaningful recognition to ANY member of the AJS staff. Your positive message will then be shared with the intended recipient.
Sometimes school can be tough... now is the chance to show your appreciation for the people that make the journey brighter along the way!
CPF Tutoring Program
Join Our Virtual Tutoring Program Waitlist!
The next session begins January 24, 2022!
Are you a CPF member looking for help with your child's French as a second language (FSL) studies? Look no further! The popular CPF Virtual Tutoring Program for children ages 5 to 14 is coming back this winter!
Families challenge each other to solve the 12 Days of Christmas Challenge!! Here are the final four challenges to master.
- Social 7 students received a virtual guest, Louis-Joseph, Marquis de Montcalm, who spoke from the Plains of Abraham in Québec about the story of the famous battle of 1759.
- Grade 8 classes are finishing the Renaissance unit and starting the unit on the Spanish and Aztec.
- Science 9 FI class experimented with electrodes and electrolytes.
Social 7 FI students received a virtual guest, Louis-Joseph, Marquis de Montcalm, who spoke from the Plains of Abraham in Québec about the story of the famous battle of 1759.
Sciences 10 FI demonstrated their understanding of chemistry and biology.
- CTS 9 created beautiful charcuterie boards.
- Health 7 class made Christmas cards to spread some Christmas cheer to local seniors.
Ardrossan Junior Senior High will close for the Christmas break at the end of the day on Tuesday, Dec. 21, 2021. The school will reopen on Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2022. During this time, if you have any school-related questions or concerns, contact Elk Island Public Schools (EIPS) Central Services at 780-464-3477.
EIPS Central Services Christmas Break Hours
Open December 22 and 23; 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Closed Dec. 23, 2021 to Jan. 3, 2022
Open January 4; 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
*for location and contact information visit www.eips.ca.
From everyone at Elk Island Public Schools, we wish all of you a happy holiday season and a wonderful New Year.
Returning Student Registration for 2022-23
Elk Island Public Schools (EIPS) will once again conduct an online returning student registration process to confirm student registrations for the 2022-23 school year. Families of all current students—with the exception of graduating Grade 12 students—must complete the process to confirm the school their child plans to attend in the 2022-23 school year or advise the Division of their plans not to return to EIPS. Additionally, students who want to attend a non-designated school need to make that request through the returning student registration process—acceptance is based on available space. The 2022-23 returning student registration takes place Feb. 1-28, 2022.
For more information, contact the school office at 780-922-2228.
RBC Future Launch Scholarship for Indigenous Youth
Are you an Indigenous youth in Canada looking to pursue post-secondary education? The RBC Future Launch Scholarship for Indigenous Youth could help you achieve your post-secondary goals. Apply today!
Now open for applications until January 5, 2022.
The RBC Future Launch Scholarship for Indigenous Youth will award 20 scholarships annually valued up to $10,000 each per year (up to 4 years) to First Nations, Inuit and Métis students across Canada demonstrating strong academic performance and community involvement. RBC has been providing a scholarship for Indigenous students to complete post-secondary education since 1992. To date, more than $1.8 million dollars have been awarded to 198 Indigenous youth across Canada pursuing post-secondary education.
Entrance scholarship applications close soon at the U of A!
Our application-based entrance scholarship competition closes on January 12, 2022. Please note, a campus computing ID (CCID) is required in order to apply for entrance scholarships. In order to receive a CCID in time to work on a scholarship application over the winter closure, the last safe day to apply for admission is December 22, 2021. In general, it takes 2-3 business days for a CCID to be generated. uab.ca/awards
YWITT – Careers in Agriculture and the Skilled Trades in Cooking
YWITT – Careers in Agriculture and the Skilled Trades in Cooking
January 12, 2022 @ 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
Students in Grades 9-12
Young Women in Trades and Technologies (YWITT) is a program designed to break barriers and give young women the opportunity and confidence to explore different career options in non-traditional skilled trades and technologies.
The agricultural industry is both valuable and critical to our society and remains one of the largest sources of employment in many areas across Alberta and the world. It is an industry that continues to redefine itself and to present ever-evolving career opportunities. Whether it is working as a farmer, harvester, technician for farm equipment, scientist, and so on, there are an amazing number of opportunities for careers.
Careers: Beekeeper, Horticulturist, Veterinarian, Food Specialist, Seed Producer, Equine Stable Hand, Farmer, Irrigation Specialist, the list “grows” on and on…
As the industry shifts, and the gender barrier dissipates, the opportunities for women in cooking are better than ever. The skills that we learn in the culinary arts can be applied to so many different areas in our lives. We learn organization, teamwork, cleanliness, food safety, sanitization practices, as well as the undeniably great skill behind the art of cooking.
Skilled Trades: Cook and Baker
University of Alberta Scholarships
Applications for the Discover University of Alberta Award and the Turtle Spirit Pathway Award for First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Students are now open until February 15, 2022. The awards are available to incoming students to the University of Alberta. Students who have demonstrated financial challenges and barriers to attending university will be considered for up to $8,000 per year in award funding. Funding for the awards will be renewable for four to five years.
- December 16-18 - Sr. Varsity Basketball Tournament - Bert Church
- December 20, 4:00 p.m. - Jr. Sr. Girl's Basketball vs. Lakeland Ridge
- December 20, 5:15 p.m. - Jr. Sr. Boy's Basketball vs. Lakeland Ridge
- January 5, 5:00 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Men's Basketball vs. Parkland Immanuel Christian
- January 5, 6:30 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Women's Basketball vs. Louis St. Laurent
- January 6, 5:30 p.m. - Jr. Varsity Men's Basketball vs. Beaumont
- January 7 & 8 - Jr. Sr. Basketball Bison Bowl Invitational Tournament
- January 7 & 8 - Sr. Varsity Basketball Tournament @ Beaumont Composite
- January 10, 5:00 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Women's Basketball vs. Holy Trinity
- January 10, 5:30 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Men's Basketball vs. St. Albert
- January 11, 4:00 p.m. - Jr. Sr. Girl's Basketball vs. Rudolph Hennig
- January 11, 5:15 p.m. - Jr. Sr. Boy's Basketball vs. Rudolph Hennig
- January 12, 4:00 p.m. - Jr. Jr. Girl's Basketball vs. Lakeland Ridge
- January 12, 5:15 p.m. - Jr. Jr. Boy's Basketball vs. Lakeland Ridge
- January 13, 5:00 p.m. - Jr. Varsity Men's Basketball vs. Millwoods Christian
- January 13, 6:30 p.m. - Jr. Varsity Women's Basketball vs. Beaumont
In the Spotlight
Senior Varsity Women's Basketball
SV Women's took home the consolation at the Sturgeon Rise Up Tournament.
Jr. Sr. Boys Basketball
Jr. Sr. Boys started their season off with a silver medal in the EIPS tournament.
Jr. Sr. Girls Basketball
Jr Sr Girls defeated Lakeland Ridge for the Bronze medal in the EIPS tournament.