Welcome Back to School, 2021-2022
Welcome to the New School Year
Welcome to the new school year. I am very excited to get the school year started with our first student day being on August 11th. I am looking forward to this year as much as I ever have, thanks, in part, to the hard work our students, families and staff have put in to help create an environment within the school that is as safe as possible with respect to COVID.
Our newsletter to begin the school year has a great deal of information included. Please take a few minutes to carefully review the information included below.
School Wide Contact Information
Mark Maudlin -- Principal
Erin Strauss -- Assistant Principal
Shannon Morris -- School Resource Officer (SRO)
Laura Dull -- Secretary
Kristin Scheub -- Secretary/Treasurer
Jami Carlson -- Guidance Counselor, Last Names A-L
Joe Metanias -- Guidance Counselor, Last Names M-Z
Heather Himes -- Social Worker
Shawn White -- Nurse
Online Registration Is Now Open
2nd -- Schedules, Locker and Locker Combinations available in Skyward
4th -- 6th graders with last names A-L, locker/schedule practice 4:00-5:30
5th -- 6th graders with last names M-Z, locker/schedule practice 4:00-5:30
10th -- New Student Orientation, 8:00-10:15 a.m.
11th -- 1st Student Day
18th -- School Picture Day
27th -- Indiana State Police Internet Crimes Against Children Taskforce grade level presentations
6th -- Labor Day -- no school
24th -- 1/2 day for students. Dismissal at 11:30 a.m.
Welcome New TJMS Staff Members
- Mr. Amelse -- 7th Grade Science
- Mrs. Butler -- 8th Grade Social Studies
- Mrs. Erlandson -- English Language Learners
- Mrs. Ferguson -- 6th Grade English/Language Arts
- Mrs. Germann -- 8th Grade PLTW Gateway & 8th Grade Medical Detectives
- Mrs. Hawk -- Resource
- Mrs. Kerezman -- 7th Grade Spanish and 6th Heritage Language Learners I
- Mrs. Lozano, Instructional Aide
- Ms. Schafer -- 8th Grade Science
New Student Orientation - August 10th
Students should bring a copy of their class schedule and locker combination with them to orientation.
Car riders should plan to be dropped off and picked up at door #5 on the east side of the building near the baseball fields. Please see below for additional information about the traffic pattern for car riders.
Students will have the opportunity to attend each of their classes in a shortened format, meet their teachers, practice their lockers as well as learn about the arrival and dismissal processes. Students will begin their day in the cafeteria before moving to their 1st period class.
Parents of new students as well as students who are returning to TJMS should not plan to attend orientation.
- Enter and exit the drop off lines through the soccer/football field entrance
- The south drive along the side of the building as it is reserved for buses
- Use the 2 lanes (parallel green lines on the may) when entering and merge as you make the right turn toward the back of the building
- Please pull as far down the drive past door #5 as possible to allow multiple cars to unload at the same time along the sidewalk next to the building
- Students can enter door #4 or #5
- Leave the area with the red dashed line open so buses can enter the south drive
- Exit using a single line going to the lane closest to Roosevelt Road as you return to the exit of the parking lot
- Students should not cross the south drive to meet someone picking them up
P.E. uniforms will be required in P.E. classes this school year. Uniforms (t-shirt and shorts) can be purchased at Blythe’s Sporting Goods on Calumet Avenue. Uniforms can be purchased as a set ($20) or individual pieces (shorts @ $12.50/t-shirt @ $7.50). The same uniform will be worn in 6th-8th grades, so purchasing one that’s a little looser may be a good idea. Students are welcome to use the uniform an older sibling used while attending TJMS.
Students who are not enrolled in band, choir or orchestra will have a full year of P.E. Students enrolled in band, choir or orchestra will have least 2 rotations of P.E. during the year.
Parents/guardians are invited to the TJMS Open House on Thursday, August 12th from 6:00-7:30 p.m. Parent/Guardians of 6th graders will begin in the auditorium while parents/guardians of 7th and 8th graders will begin in the cafeteria. You will then have the opportunity to follow your student’s daily class schedule to meet teachers and learn about the class.
School Breakfast & Lunch
Through a grant from the USDA, all regular school breakfasts and lunches will be free to all students during the 2021-2022 school year. Additional a la carte items or additional breakfast/lunch items may be purchased by students.
The cafeteria will open at 7:20 a.m. for any student wishing to eat breakfast. Between 7:20-7:30 students wishing to eat breakfast may enter door #8 on Roosevelt Road (northern door facing Roosevelt Road). At 7:35 bus riders and car riders entering the building are invited to head to the cafeteria for breakfast.
School Calendar and Times
Our school day runs from 7:50 a.m. -- 2:50 p.m. Students may enter the building at 7:20 through door #8 to eat breakfast or at 7:35 to head to their lockers and 1st period class.
Fall Athletic Seasons
Becoming A Canvas Observer
Dropping Off Forgotten Items
Follow TJMS on Social Media
Stay up to date with the latest news about what's happening around TJMS by following us on: