September 30, 2022
We had another great turnout Wednesday evening – this time for our Elementary Back to School Night! The atmosphere was so positive, and it was a pleasure seeing everyone who was able to come – and in some cases we were even meeting each other (not to mention being inside the school) for the first time. Next week, we’ll be harvesting our garden bounty in preparation for a school-wide Harvest Soup on Thursday, and the week after that features Fire Prevention assemblies and our Annual Swan Lake Walk for grades PK-8. In our classrooms, activities related to Hispanic Heritage Month continue, and we’ve had (and will continue to have) some wonderful activities in music, art, library, and FACS (family and consumer science). We’re also finalizing additional school events, so more details later! Exciting news from the middle school – our student government advisors held an information meeting for students in grades 5-8 to get it rolling and establish a timeline and priorities for the year.
In addition to Hispanic Heritage Month, which runs through October 15th, October also features:
National Bullying Prevention Month
Global Diversity Awareness Month
National Book Month
Fire Safety Month
Italian-American Heritage Month
Filipino-American Heritage Month
Polish-American Heritage Month
FALL INTRAMURALS – GRADES 3-6
We’ll be running Fall Intramurals in three separate mini-sessions beginning on Monday, October 3rd, and running through November 10th. Please click the link below for details and to sign your child(ren) up. The featured sports are Tennis, Soccer/Futsal, and Flag Football!
We’ll be running new sessions in the Winter as well as in the Spring for the same age groups. We’ll also be looking for ways to involve even younger students as well. Each seasonal sign-up will have a separate form to fill out when that season approaches.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR OUR HARVEST DAYS
We’ll be harvesting, washing, prepping, and seed-saving in our garden on Monday and Tuesday as we get ready for Harvest Soup, and we’d love your participation if you’re available! Here is a link to a sign-up form – we hope to see you there!
MAKERBOT 3D PRINTING CLUB
Mr. Cook is starting his Makerbot 3D Printing Club this TUESDAY from 3:00-4:00, and it will
run for 28 sessions. If you have a child in 5th – 8th grades who is interested, please check the backpack for a sign-up sheet that was sent home today and return it to school with your child on Monday.
IMPORTANT NOTE! The signup flyer that went home today apparently says Wednesday. It is NOT WEDNESDAY. IT IS TUESDAYS, and the first one is TUESDAY, OCTOBER 4!
SWAN LAKE WALK & FUNDRAISER
It’s the fall, and it’s also the time for the Pocantico Hills School Foundation's Swan Lake Walk fundraiser! The Pocantico Foundation is raising funds for mental health programs and ongoing community outreach programs at Pocantico Hills School! You can make a pledge in honor of your child online and share the donation page with others who may donate in honor of your child as well! More information here about the walk, how to get involved, and how to provide pledges:
Thank you everyone for being mindful of our dismissal procedures and communication needs from you – it really makes a difference to us because we’re a small team managing lots of scenarios – thank you!
· We will NOT dismiss a child to any situation or person other than who/what we have on file unless we have a written note from you. If we don’t have it in writing, it’s not happening.
· PLEASE CONTACT US IN ADVANCE.
· Emails should be sent to Deb Kaplan, Ryan Beckley, AND the teacher. Handwritten notes should go directly to your child’s teacher, who will then forward it to the office.
· In the note, include your child’s first AND last name, teacher/grade, timing of the pickup (if early), and who specifically is picking up your child.
· Children MUST ride on their assigned bus at 3:00 and cannot switch buses for playdates or any other reasons. The best solution for this would be to pick kids up by car.
Next week begins with Poco Blue Spirit Day on Monday (first Monday of every month). In addition, please remember that next week we will be closed on Wednesday in observance of Yom Kippur.
Have a super weekend!
LOOKING AHEAD . . .
- Yom Kippur - School Closed
- Board of Education Meeting - 7:30 PM
- Columbus Day - District Closed
- Fire Prevention Day
- Pocantico Foundation Swan Lake Walk (more info:
- Rain Date for Pocantico foundation Swan Lake Walk
- PTA Halloween Party