Fun in Fourth Grade
A Newsletter About Our Fantastic 4th Grade "Chastain-ians"
Heartfelt Thanks & Shout Outs
Congratulations to Briana H. for reaching her one million word goal and Taylor T. for meeting her two million word goal! Way to go, super readers!!! Terrific job, Felicity C.! You had such a good showing in the spelling bee! Your diligent preparation was evident!
Thank you so much, Christa Cobb, for teaching our students knots in preparation for Age of Sail! Also, thanks so much Jeanine Brown for your time and help in the classroom this week. Your support is so appreciated!
- Talent Show Applications Due December 17th! From Stage Crew and Hosts, to Solo and Group Acts there is a role for you! Want to be in the talent show but don’t know what to perform? Sign up for the WCS Group Dance choreographed by some of your WCS teachers! No auditions required for group dance participants.
- Please note that because the Chastain-ians will be on Age of Sail during the scheduled audition date, there will be an audition for our students' acts on Monday, January 11th from 3:45-4:45 in room W17. If your audition includes music, please be sure to bring a copy.
Age of Sail Update
- Age of Sail sweatshirts should arrive by Friday. Please remember to write your child's name on the tag in sharpie. There will be a lot of these sweatshirts floating around and no other way to tell them apart. Thanks!
- We are replenishing our galley supplies. Clean tin cans (approx. 14 oz.) are needed as cups while we are aboard the Balclutha. If you have any to donate, please send them with your child to school. Thank you!
- If you have not yet turned in Age of Sail paperwork, please do so at your earliest convenience. Thank you!
Holiday Brunch on Thursday, December 17th at 11:15 a.m.
English Language Arts
- No spelling list next week.
- Students are working on vocabulary needed for our Age of Sail adventure using Spelling City activities. They be tested on Wednesday, December 16th.
- Students continue to unlock the meanings of multisyllabic words by learning more about the specific meanings of prefixes and suffixes in class. We do a "check in" on their understanding of these meanings on Friday.
We are on track to complete our unit on algebraic problem solving, patterns and sequences. Students will test on this unit on Thursday, Nov. 17th. IXL strands that support our study of these concepts include:
- 4th Grade: F.9, L.1-L.5, G.1-G.6, and H.1, H.2
- 5th Grade: S.1-S.5 and U.1-U.8
We have concluded our life science study of humans and animals. Today in class we reviewed a study guide of what will be on the test. Next week students can best prepare for the test by studying their ISN notes and quizzing themselves with questions from the study guide. We will test on Thursday, Nov. 17th.
This week students learned about Spanish California, the motivations that prompted Spain to colonize and the impact this had on the Native Americans. Next week students will be writing an essay in class about this period in our history.
Age of Sail
Students will be preparing for their voyage aboard the Balclutha during the coming weeks by learning how to tie square, bowline and cleat hitch knots with Mrs. Cobb, singing sea chanteys, and practicing working together as a team.
Check out Ms. Jackson's website to see what's currently happening in art.
- Dec. 17: Holiday Brunch in class at 11:15 a.m.
- Dec. 17: Minimum Day
- Dec. 18-Jan.3: Winter Break
- January 7 & 8: Age of Sail field lesson for Chastain-ians