Articles of Confederation
- declare war and make peace
- coin and borrow money
- detail with foreign countries and sign treaties
- operate post offices
- National government could not force the states to obey its laws.
- They didn't have the power to tax
- Couldn't enforces laws
- Congress lacked strong and steady leadership
- No national army or navy
- No system of national courts
- Each state issued its own paper money
- Each state could put tariffs on trade between states
I believe the designers created a weak central government because they were so focused on making sure no one person had so much control over them again. They didn't realize that they did need a leader but also needed to be unified.