Read Around the Planet 2015
Celebrate National Reading Month Around the World!*
2015 READ AROUND THE PLANET* Registration NOW OPEN!
Read Around the Planet* is a celebration of NEA’s Read Across America. Classrooms use interactive television (ITV) to connect with other classrooms “around the planet” and read to each other. The activity is sponsored by TWICE (Two-Way Interactive Collaborations in Education) and Polycom, in cooperation with NEA.
*Disclaimer: While this name is inclusive to international friends, the name does NOT guarantee U.S. schools will have an international connection. Schools "around the planet" will be matched by TWICE.
Current GenNET Districts and Buildings Signed up for Participation
- Carman-Ainsworth: CA-MS (61 Students)
- Flint: Scott ES (34 Students)
- Genesee: Genesee Jr/Sr HS (23 Students)
- Grand Blanc: Anderson ES (63 Students)
- Grand Blanc: Indian Hill ES (29 Students)
- Goodrich: Oaktree ES (24 students)
- Goodrich: Reid ES (45 Students)
- Lake Fenton: Torrey Hill IS (55 Students)
- Lake Fenton: West Shore ES (108 Students)
- LakeVille: Columbiaville ES (43 Students)
- Swartz Creek: Elms Road ES (19 students)
- Swartz Creek: MS (60 students)
- Westwood Heights: Hamady HS/MS (50 Students)
- Current total number of student participants: 635 (as of 1/15/15)
- NOTE: Registration closes January 17, 2015
How to Participate
The activity is open to ALL elementary, middle school and high school students.
- Classes will be matched by TWICE with a class from a different location, and each class will exchange reading activities.
- Important: If instructors sign up to participate, they MUST commit to the event. Unless an extenuating circumstance occurs, it is very difficult finding a replacement partner for connections at the last minute.
Read Around the Planet Activity Timeline
- Registration Dates: December 5, 2014 – January 15, 2015.
- There are a limited number of connections available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- In late January, TWICE matches classes
- Partner contact information is e-mailed to participating teachers on or before January 27, 2015 from TWICE.
- Events are then scheduled for connecting by the Genesee ISD Video Team, followed by video testing and confirmation.
- Classroom teachers do NOT need to test the connection prior to the day of the event.
- All connections will take place February 23-March 6, 2015.
Everything you may want to know to get students in your classroom ready to meet students just like them "across the planet!"
Sample Format for Connection/Presentations
- Each connection is scheduled for one hour
- 15 minutes for welcoming and introductions
- 30 minutes for the reading activity (15 mins. for each class)
- 15 minutes for exchanging information at the end about respective schools and communities, and to ask each other questions.
- Event connections will be in GenNET Interactive Television (ITV) classrooms at local district sites. However, a connection can be held at the Genesee ISD if an ITV room is not available on the date and time that has been scheduled.
Read Around the Planet Activity Ideas
- Performance of books as skits, plays, raps or songs!
- Student created illustrations of stories to go with oral presentations
- Dramatizations of favorite stories
- Student-created books
- "Battle of the Books”
- Plus many, many more!
After classrooms are matched, teachers will be sent a full information packet from TWICE, with contact information for classroom partners so planning can begin!
Share this flyer with other teachers at your school for maximum participation!