The Top 4 Coolest Trees at TMS
4 Awesome Trees
Southern Live Oak
- Common Name: Live Oak Height: 2 feet per year untill a max height of about 8 feet
- Climate: Southern
- Lifespan:100-200 years
- Leaves: Broad and Thick
- Fruits: Acorns
- Reproduction: Acorns
Many Organism are dependent on the Live Oak like birds and squirels for shelter and food. Some of the limiting factors are need of space, pollution, and predators. Some Scales and insect larvae feed of the tree parasitically. Some adaptations to help the tree is quick growth rate and high reproduction chance. The tree needs space, water, soil, and sunlight to grow. Some short term affects can be pretty and attract many animals. Some long term affects are even more trees and less CO2 emissions.
- Common Name- White Cedar
- Growth Rate- 1-2 ft. per year Maximum Height- 40-50 ft. (15 ft. or less at TMS)
- Climate It Grows Best In- It grows best in uplands, lowlands, swamps and seepage areas
- Life Span- 40-60 yrs.
- Leaves- Its leaves are scale-like evergreen leaves. They are 1/4" long at the longest point and 1/8" long at shortest point
- Produce Flower- A cone
- Reproduction Method- It drops Its cones which spreads the seeds
Texas Red oak
- Common Name- Texas Red Oak
- Growth Rate- 2 ft. per year Maximum Height- 18-25 ft.
- Climate It Grows Best In-It grows best in lowlands, doesn't need very much water
- Life Span- 400 yrs.
- Leaves- 7 lobes, pointy lobes, the lobes are opposite
- Produce Flower- The Texas Red Oak tree produces acorns
- Reproduction Method- Every Spring the tree produces a female and a male plant. These little plants (almost impossible to see) produce acorns. Eventually the acorns turn into oak trees once they go underground
- The Texas Red Oak needs a lot of space in order to grow. It needs a lot of sunlight, but not a lot of water, the soil can be dry. In the process of planting the Texas Red Oak you will need to make a big hole so the the roots aren't damaged.
Some of the animals that depend on this tree are the Gray Squirrel, lots of insects, spiders, Opossums, and Some frogs. Some limiting factors for the trees growth are smoke, candy wrappers, shade, and bad soil.Some of the parasites that Affect this tree are ball moss, lichens, and mistletoe: pest or nuisance. Some of the abiotic factors this tree needs are rain, sunlight, and soil. A long term affect of this tree is that it provides oxygen and reduces the amount of CO2 in the air. A short term affect the tree has is that the leaves turn a beautiful red in the Fall.
- Common Name- Southern Magnolia
- Growth Rate- 1-2 ft. per year Maximum Height- 40 ft.- 100 ft.
- Climate It Grows Best In-
- Life Span- They commonly live to be around 200 yrs.
- Leaves- the leaves are reddish-orange and have about 7 lobes withe a vein running into each from a central lobe
- Produce Flower- Acorns
- Reproduction Method- It drops the acorn on the ground which distributes the seeds and they then grow into new Southern Magnolias