Miller Elementary Weekly Update
October 23, 2022
Mrs. Goodman's Message
Hello Miller Families!
This weekend has been absolutely beautiful and I hope your family enjoyed some time getting outside! It looks like the next few days ahead are looking just as amazing so we can hold onto some of the final warm, sunny days of the year!
We are excited to share that we have filled our Greenmen PBIS POM POM JAR! We have been working hard as a school learning our expectations and many classrooms have enjoyed some special celebrations. Now it is time to celebrate as a school! We are going to have a HAT DAY or CRAZY HAT DAY on Thursday, October 27th! Please send a hat with your child on Thursday so we all can enjoy a special treat together. We also will enjoy some fun music and dance parties to celebrate our success!
I want to give a gentle reminder about the safety in our parking lot and dismissal area. As you know, our parking is very limited. Please try to find a space that will not block others as well as we need to save our handicap-accessible spaces for those with the correct signs. Additionally, our front steps and walkway are not suited as a play area. There is a lot of traffic and commotion with arrival and dismissal and we don't want to see any accidental injuries. Thank you for your cooperation!
As a reminder, Mr. Roberto shared earlier this week that we have moved our full-scale evacuation to this Monday, October 24th. Our staff participates in ongoing safety training and this is one of many required activities to ensure we are continuously preparing for emergency events. Like fire and tornado drills, we approach the situation with kid-friendly language and developmentally appropriate measures. We will be evacuating to Leighton Elementary school and you will receive communication about the event once we are concluded. We shared a social story with your child this previous week which tells about the event and what to expect. Please see the link below if your child was absent or you would like to view the story as a family.
Our fall festival and costume parade are quickly approaching! Please see the important communication about these events below.
Have a wonderful week!
Miller Elementary School - Principal
330-954-2189 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall Festival Party
This year, we want to celebrate the fall season with our students as well as enjoy the traditions of dressing up in costumes at school. I want to share some of the guidelines that we will be implementing for our Fall Parties so you can plan accordingly.
Preschool Fall Festival: Monday, October 31st, 10:30 AM & 2:30 PM
Kindergarten Fall Festival: Monday, October 31st, 10:30 AM (AM Kinder) & 2:30 PM (Full Day & PM Kinder)
Save the Date and Time:
AM Preschool and AM Kindergarten Costume Parade will be at 10:20 AM
PM Preschool and Full Day/PM Kindergarten Costume Parade will be at 2:30 PM
(A family viewing map will be shared next week!)
- At Miller, we are asking that your child brings their costume to school in a bag and they will change before our party times. If your child needs to wear a portion of their costume (specific pants, leggings, or shirt) throughout the day, that is perfectly OK. Please advise that costumes need to be functional, school safe, no weapons can accompany a costume, and no full face coverings. Children will wear their costumes home on the bus.
- We will be working with our PTO headroom parents to plan fun games or activities, and specific visitors will be allowed into our school for the Fall Festival Party. All visitors will be checking in and no other siblings or guests will be able to attend. Thank you for your cooperation.
- We will have a weather-permitting outdoor costume parade where you can come up to the school and view all your wonderful children! A specific map will be shared next week! If the weather conditions are poor, the outdoor parade will be canceled and we will not hold an indoor event.
- The PTO will be supplying regular or gluten-free Oreos as a sweet treat for our party. If you do not wish for your child to have this snack or have a specific request, please reach out to your child's teacher or our school nurse and we would be happy to assist!
Please advise that our costume guidelines are different than the other buildings this year. Our children will not be wearing their costumes all day due to some challenges with restroom breaks throughout the day. We have learned from past experience that many costumes zip and snap in the back and children cannot manage this in the restroom independently. We will help them change before our party times and they can wear their costume home! Thank you!
No Glass Containers or Water Bottles
Scholastic Book Fair is Coming to Miller
SAVE THE DATE:
We will be hosting a Family Shopping Night on Wednesday, November 9th from 5:00-7:30PM.
School Counselor Updates: Mrs. Ambrosia
Greetings Miller Families! I had the pleasure of visiting the Kindergarten classrooms to introduce myself and review playground expectations this month. I’m sure your full-day Kindergarten student would love to show you their favorite activities on the playground using these Miller Playground Safety slides. All students did a great job explaining how they can be respectful, responsible and problem-solvers while on the playground!
Aurora City Schools also partners with several community organizations, including our very own PTO, to connect with families in need of community resources, food, clothing, funds for book fairs or holiday shops, and assistance with holiday gifting or celebrations. This form can be completed when a need arises. As always, please contact me at any time for more information.
Mrs. Lindsey Ambrosia
330.562.6199, ext. 5414
330.562.3175, ext. 1260
Important Dates and Events
Monday, 10/24 - BOE Meeting at the Aurora Conference Center @ 7:00 PM
Tuesday, 10/25 - Parent Teacher Conferences
Monday, 10/31 - Fall Festival & Costume Party - 10:20- AM Parade & 2:30 PM/Full Day Parade
Monday, 11/14 - Picture Retake Day
Wed. 11/23- Sun. 11/27 - No School- Thanksgiving Break
School Wide PBIS Skill of the Week
Don't worry, this is part of the social development of the young child. They are now at the point where they can recognize what the expectation should be, and they can identify when it is not happening. The challenge with "Tattle-Tales" can be the constant repetition of the reported events.
We work to help children know when something is an emergency and they need to get adult help versus when they see something they can "ignore and worry about themselves." We explain that the adults are here to notice all children and we will help anyone that needs assistance with the expectations. This skill can take months to develop, but we do like to stop and directly teach what to do when a child notices something that is not quite right.
Our PBIS skill is reinforced with a Greenmen Proud Pom. When we see a child "being a good role model" they earn a pom and help to fill our class bucket and school bucket.
We ask that you call Miller School at 330-562-6199 to either speak with Vicki Wolf or leave a message. Please share your child's first name, last name, teacher, and the reason for the absence. If they are going to an appointment, please ask for a doctor's note to have on file here at school. Thank you!
If your family will have a planned absence due to an event or vacation, you will need to fill out a planned absence form for our schools. Please send in a note requesting this form as soon as you know your anticipated date.
If your child is experiencing illness symptoms and you have questions for our school nurse, Jackie Pawlowski, you may call 330-954-2286. She can help answer any questions.
Important PTO Information
Hello Millier Families!
1. Monday, October 24 (11:00am-9:00pm) - Community give back day at Lee Angelos! Lee Angelos is giving back 20% of all sales on 10/24 to AEPTO.
2. Monday, October 31 - Fall Festival!
If you would like to volunteer for the class party, you can still sign up below. Please read all information on the sign up sheet.
3. Deadline to join the Aurora Elementary PTO is Monday, October 31!
4. Wednesday, November 9 at 6:30pm - AEPTO Meeting at the C&I Building (off Pioneer, in front of the High School)
5. Save the dates for AEPTO winter family fun events!!
Saturday, January 28, 2023 - Join us for a family night at the Cleveland Monsters Hockey game! Please see the attached flyer for more details. Additional information will be sent out later.
Thursday, February 16, 2023 - Join us for a family night at Kalahari indoor water park! Please see the attached flyer for more details.
School Nurse: Jackie Pawlowski
- Check your child each day for illness symptoms. If they begin to feel ill, please know she will assess your child and make contact with a family member when necessary.
- Students sent home with a fever, may not return to school until they are fever free without medication for at least 24 hours. This means if your child was sent home on Tuesday at 12:00 p.m. with a fever, he/she may not return to school until Thursday. If your child does return the next day, our school will be calling for you to come and pick him/her up. Please help to support our efforts in this area.
- Please make sure your Final Forms medical information is up to date. We will closely read the health sections to address any medical concerns.
Finally, please make sure your child has extra clothes in his/her backpack. Accidents and spills happen all the time and it's safe to always have their own clothes in their book bag instead of wearing our spare clothes.