Mrs. Nagy's 1st Grade Class
First grade ROCKS... Come be a star!⭐️
Wow! A bit of a crazy start to our new year! Hopefully with a few full weeks coming up, we can get some great things accomplished. Here are a few things...
- Spelling list - This week's spelling list will be coming home in your child's folder (on bright yellow paper). This week's list is based on our reading program. I will also post the list on Spelling City, too. This is a great way to practice these words with your children. There is a link below to that website to practice the words.
- Book It - The children will be required to read and take AR on 2 books, since we are getting a late start and a couple of extra days off coming up! The children are to fill in the snowmen and return them to school. (Also send in the book for the AR). The children have until January 30th. We currently have 6 children that have received their pizza coupon! Way to go!!!
- Scholastic Book Order - Coming home this week will be a book order for the month of January. This is a great way to get tax free books, plus free shipping on all orders. Every dollar spent also earns points for our class to earn free books. It's a WIN-WIN! The link below allows you access to all grade level books should you want to order for siblings, too. Any questions, please let me know! Thanks!
- Winter Wishes- During Catholic Schools Week, each classroom is performing a service project. The First and Third grade will be working together with the "Warm Winter Wishes" campaign. The students will be creating signs and helping in the sale of winter wishes for 25 cents. All students in the school will be able to purchase wishes during the week. Each purchase will entitle the buyer to write a message/name on a paper snowflake. On Friday, the wishes will be delivered along with a small bag of Hershey Kisses. This is where we need your help!!!! Mrs. Waller and I are asking that each family donate ONE bag of kisses that we could use for this project. ALL MONEY RAISED WILL BE DONATED TO THE CORRIGAN FUND TO HELP THOSE FAMILIES NEEDING FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE.
- Artist of the Month - Congratulations to Mia Schmoekel for being recognized as the Artist of the Month for the K-5 classes. Super job!
- Glue Sticks - We are in desperate need of glue sticks for our classroom. If you are out and about, could you please consider picking up a package to share. Thanks!
- ARP Keep those ARP books coming in! I love to see the list getting longer and longer for all the children wanting to take a test. Congratulations to some our newest award winners recognized at Morning Gathering...Robert Butler (10 points), Aaron Breaux (10 points) and Jack Yurechko (25 points)!
- Report cards - Report cards will be mailed out at the end of this week. Conferences will be held the Week of February 9th.
That's all for now!
B Music and Technology
C Gym and Art
We have been working with place value. This is teaching them that numbers can be represented by groups of tens and ones. This gives children a concrete way of visualizing a number. Once children understand this concept, it makes adding and subtracting by tens much simpler. We will continue working on this concept as well as expanded form (i.e. 63=60 tens +3 ones).
We will also continue to work on graphing, addition and subtraction and number families and missing addends.
We will learn about the "Floss" rule. We will also learn a spelling rule, using -ve to spell the "v" sound.