Weekly Newsletter - November 19, 2020
celebrating 26 years of excellence in catholic education
Theme for the Year: Hope
Our Mission and Vision Statements
St. Joseph Catholic School provides students with a nurturing and prayerful learning environment committed to academic excellence, training missionary disciples to seek virtue, wisdom, and truth, in partnership with a community of active and faithful families.
Catholic schools in the Diocese of Fort Worth are committed to opening the doors so that our students can reach further than the walls that would otherwise enclose them and therefore are able to recognize and cherish the eternal and transcendental goods of Truth, Beauty, and Goodness.
Teaching the Mind...Nourishing the Soul
From the principal
We were also challenged by Fr. Kennedy to find new ways to celebrate Thanksgiving this year, since many of us are not gathering in groups as we normally would. He invited us to use this time to explore creative ways to help others, offering our service in thanksgiving for all we have.
We faculty and staff are thankful for all the good things happening at SJCS. Laughter in the classrooms and smiles on the playground, tell me that our students are as well. In just one more day, everyone will have a much deserved week away from the routines of school. It is my prayer for this community to experience the Thanksgiving Holiday with joy, laughter, and smiles; remembering to pray for those in need and for those who are hurting at this time.
Diane Price, M.Ed.L.
H2O For Life - Water Walk
SJCS Sponsored Project Updates
Bravo, Knights! All three of the clean water projects our families supported last school year have been completed. Click the links below for photos and information on the success of these projects.
- Friends Primary (Kenya)
- Good Samaritan Primary (Uganda)
- Knowledge Center Primary (Uganda)
Just an FYI, from our school page here, https://www.h2oforlifeschools.org/sponsors/128
Click on any of the projects we have supported, and once on the project page, click the “updates” tab to see completed info. We have served as missionary disciples for many years now on behalf of those in need of water in Africa. We are honored to serve.
Hope Bible Verse for November
A New saintly "HOPE" quote to ponder
Virtue of the Month
Here are the Greek and Latin roots we are learning this week:
act-, ag-, agit-, epi-, ep-, sed-, -sess, -sid
Reminders and Upcoming Events
- Parents, please be sure you are wearing a mask if you leave your car to assist your child in the morning or afternoon car lines. Thank you!
- November: Month Dedicated to the Faithful Departed - SJCS will read the names of loved ones who have passed from our Book of Eternal Life (a.k.a. Book of Life). Since families are not able to come to the school to inscribe names, we are offering a Sign-Up Genius for you to complete. We will write the names of your loved ones for you, and read their names aloud over announcements this month. Here is the link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0b44a5a728abf58-book
11/16 NJHS Thanksgiving Food Drive begins and continues through November 20th. See the flyer below for details. Thank you for helping those in need during the holiday season.
11/16 Online Book Fair begins and continues until December 1st. Details to follow!
- Weekly Wednesday Mass - We will be attending Mass weekly on Wednesdays, at 8:30 a.m. Distance Learners, we are attending along with you from home! Be sure to wear your dress uniform and participate by clicking on the parish link: https://stjoe88.org/ On-Campus Learners, be sure to wear your dress uniform to school on these days. Families are welcome to attend. All must wear a mask to enter the church. Students may sit with family members during Mass, but will need to be walked back to their teacher before leaving the sanctuary.
- SJCS Art Exhibit 2020-2021 - Please see the information below about the SJCS Annual Art Exhibit. Deadline for entries is set for December 9th. There is more detailed information in the Thursday Folder.
- 11/23-11/27 Thanksgiving Holiday - No School! Happy Thanksgiving!
- 12/1 iGiveCatholic - Special day of giving for the Catholic schools and Catholic churches. Any support you may give at this time is greatly appreciated. You may make a gift to the school at https://fortworth.igivecatholic.org/
- If you are an Amazon customer, please use Amazon Smile! We receive a donation from Amazon when you shop. Go to: smile.amazon.com to participate. It is a very easy way to support the school! Thank you!
- If you know a St. Joseph Catholic School alumni, please let them know we are looking to stay in contact, and would love to hear how they are doing. See the notice in our alumni section of below.
Service Hour Opportunities
- We are in need of water bottles once again. If you are able to provide a case of water to the school, you will earn 1 service hour per case.
- We are also in need of Lysol spray.
- We are in need of Clorox wipes.
- Liquid hand soap
- Disposable gloves
- STREAM Enrichment supplies (listed below)
- Also, you can earn 1 service hour by attending any Spirit Night.
Every $10 you spend will earn 1 service hour. Thank you! We truly need the help.
The 19th Annual SJCS Art Exhibit Theme is Announced!
Please see the Thursday Folder for more details and an entry form.
Weekly Mass Opportunity
Don't forget...When away from school
Home and School Association
THank you, Kendra Scott and SJCS Families!
Future HSA Events:
- 12/8 Spirit Night - Chick-fil-A
Chick-fil-A has moved to a Mobile Order Spirit Day which means we must use the app. They will count ALL orders towards our fundraiser that are ordered via their app. Make sure you download the app and use it! (Drive-thru orders will not work.) They will count ALL curbside mobile order for Tuesday, 12/8 (open to close) towards a donation to us. There is no need to identify the school in the app order or show a flyer when picking up the food; any curbside order will count from anyone. They are no longer requiring guests to identify the school because they are giving 5% of all net sells back to the school for the day!
- Please Note - There are no HSA Meetings in November and December.
*Don't forget to scan your receipt using the Box Tops app if you have items in your grocery basket with the Box Tops logo!
Monday Morning Prayer Service Zoom Invite
This link should also be found in your family's Seesaw Account or Google Classroom.
Diane Price is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Monday Morning Prayer Service
Time: 08:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 839 3372 6239
Knights in Action!
8th Grade Student of the Month Award
Monday Morning Prayer Service
Little Gobbler - Preschool and Kindergarten Virtual Open House
8th grade team
6th/7th grade team
5th grade team
feasting with gratitude
Displays on Campus
Our Upper School has been learning how to use Morse Code in Computers, thanks to Mrs. Grove. These turkeys' wings are expertly filled with what our students are thankful for...all in Morse Code!
Ms. Brennan's students have been writing "How To" essays, which are very challenging to do. These are very good, and neatly done with a lot of problem solving and writing skill involved. Well done! You are learning to express yourselves in new ways.
Is that a Turkey?
Ms. Lara's preschool students have also been hard at work hiding their turkey in a clever disguise. Do you see a turkey?
This week in art
Our art teacher, Mr. Julio Suarez, has shared two week's worth of art with us. Check out all of these fabulous pieces:
2nd Grade: Advertising Art - Drawing School Supplies
6th Grade: Action Figures: Mannequins holding objects
3rd Grade: Paper Collage Animals
4th Grade: Paper Portraits - Collage Faces
Thank you for your dedication to art, Mr. Suarez. These are fabulous, Knights!
Updated STREAM Wish List
- Mini candy canes
- Baking Soda
- Styrofoam plates
- Small Marshmallows
- Gum Drops or Dots Candy
- Aluminum Foil Sheets
- Small Dixie Cups
THANK YOU from the STREAM TEAM!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!
NCHS Marching Band Recognition
St. Joseph Graduates currently in the Nolan High School Marching Band did very well at the TAPPS State Championship! The NCHS Marching Band are the US Bands Division 1 Champions!
Ryan Lien - Class of 2020...Kanaya Carter - Class of 2020...Roland Rodriguez - Class of 2020
Congratulations, Sophia Rodriguez (and child of our very own Mr. Rodriguez) - SJCS Class of 2017, for making NCHS Assistant Drum Major and Social Officer! Look at that smile!
And congratulations to Angelica Gamble - SJCS Class of 2017, for making the NCHS Tenor Line! Looks like we have some very musically talented Knight Alumni!
COVID-19 Daily Home Screening Required for Students
Parents: Please be sure to complete this short screening each morning. If none of these apply to your child, you may come to school. Please contact the school if your child is sick or has been exposed to a positive COVID-19 individual. We will guide you on what next steps to take regarding your return date to campus.
SECTION 1: Symptoms
If your child has any of the following symptoms, that indicates a possible illness that may decrease the student’s ability to learn and also put them at risk for spreading illness to others. Please check your child for these symptoms:
1. Temperature 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher when taken by mouth
2. Sore throat
3. New uncontrolled cough that causes difficulty breathing (for students with chronic allergic/asthmatic cough, a change in their cough from baseline)
4. Diarrhea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
5. New onset of severe headache, especially with a fever
SECTION 2: Close Contact/Potential Exposure
1. Had close contact (within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes) with a person with confirmed COVID-19
COVID-19 Mental Health Support Line
Many More Health and Wellness Resources May be found here
Meet our parish priests!
Join Fr. Kelley for Mass-live
Daily Mass is open to the public. Attendance limited to first 40 people. Temperatures will be checked at the door. Please maintain social distance from others. Also, the Parish Office now has limited office hours: 8-10 a.m. Monday-Friday. Parishioners may schedule Mass intentions, purchase a candle or refill Holy Water. Most staff will continue to work from home, and are available via direct dial office phone and email 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- The faithful are dispensed from the obligation to attend and to participate in Sunday Mass, but not dispensed from our faith.
- People in attendance at Mass must wear masks or scarfs over their mouths and nose inside the buildings to help prevent the spread of the virus.
- All attending are to practice proper social distancing, wear masks and use hand sanitizer upon entering the church.
- The Bishop asks to be considerate in charity of your neighbor and receive Holy Communion in the hand for the time being.
St. Joseph Catholic Parish
- Please watch this important video message from Fr. Kelley: https://youtu.be/sO3CFan_kM8
- Please join the parish for daily and weekend Masses at this link: https://youtu.be/LxIRBSew1yI
- Please continue tithing to your parish. St. Joseph Parishioners may go to this link to give: https://stjoe88.org/giving
- Be sure to look into FORMED.org. The parish has paid for your subscription to this vast library of inspiring videos and essential reads to help grow your faith. Just go straight to the "Enter Code" button and enter 4BDX9H to begin the process. You may also access this through the parish website link below. Enjoy!
St. Joseph Catholic Church Events
Join Bishop Olson for mass
Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth link:
ST. JOSEPH, PROTECTOR OF FAMILIES, PRAY FOR US.