Andrew Johnson Weekly Updates
We Are Eagles...Watch us SOAR!
- Thanks to Ms. Thomasson and Ms. H for their work to help us kick off our One Book...One School Event.
- We are looking forward to Literacy Night this week. Thanks for Ms. Moore for coordinating this for our families.
- Thanks to Ms. Amos for her perseverance in working and reworking our extended planning dates.
Take Away from Leader in Me School
- Tornado season is upon us, so sometime next week please make time to take your class to the auditorium and practice the procedure of having students kneel and cover their heads in front of the auditorium chairs. In the event of an actual tornado, the entire school would move to the lower level of the auditorium and assume this position. Please let me know if you have any questions. Each classroom teacher will need to send Angela an e-mail confirming that you have practiced with your class. The method of conducting the drill will protect you instructional time and give you more flexibility.
- Our Leadership Team has decided that this year's problem of practice for our Instructional Rounds will be associated with our work on the 7 habits and student leadership. I will send out more information later this week. Instructional Rounds will take place this year on March 21. We will have a faculty meeting after school on this same day to share the team's suggestions for our next level of work.
- Since Monday, we have had a change in the self-scoring process for our post conferences. Administrators will no longer be given access to enter self-scores. So, teachers will need to do this themselves by logging on to the tncompass site and entering their own. Please go ahead and register and log in to expedite this process. Go to https://tdoe.tncompass.org and register. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
As warmer weather is on the horizon, Misty Keller reminds us of our KCS Coordinated School Health Wellness initiatives:
1. Denying student participation in recess or other physical activities as a form of discipline is discouraged; furthermore, the use or implementation of physical activity as a form of discipline is discouraged"
2. Encourage the use of “non-food" items when rewards are used.
From the ASC...
Survey Now Open!
It is time for the annual Homeless Education survey, where ALL SCHOOL LEVEL FACULTY AND STAFF (with the exception of SNS workers and custodians) help identify homeless students who were not initially referred. This is an annual requirement that needs to be completed for the Homeless Education program. All Instructional faculty and staff need to complete the survey by Wednesday, March 9, 2016. Click here for the survey.
An “in lieu of” form, should be signed by teachers that do not have any students to refer. The form is to be signed in lieu of completing the survey. Click here for this form.
State Farm Grants Available
State Farm® Youth Advisory Board (YAB) service-learning grant applications are available from February 29 to April 29. The grants range from $25,000 - $100,000 and are designed to create sustainable change in local communities across the United States.
Each grant request must fall under one of these issue areas, chosen by the board itself:
- Community Safety and Justice
- Environmental Responsibility
- Economic Inclusion and Financial Literacy
- Access to Higher Education
- Health and Wellness
- Arts and Culture
For more information, click here.
2016 Tri-Cities ASME Egg Drop
The Tri-Cities ASME Egg Drop will be held Saturday March 5 from 1-3 p.m. at the Kingsport Town Center. You may register as an individual or a team. Winning entries will receive a cash prize. Click here for more details.
Menu Changes Due to Inclement Weather
Pease place in your upcoming communications with parents:
Parents, Please be aware that following a school cancellation due to inclement weather, school cafeteria menus are subject to change. When this occurs, school offices will be notified of any changes. Please call the school office if you wish to know if menus have been altered.
Volunteer Hours Survey -
The deadline for completing the volunteer hours survey has been extended. It is important that ALL employees participate in this survey, so we have an accurate account of volunteer hours across the district. The survey may be accessed by clicking here. Please encourage all employees at your school to participate in this important survey!!!