Welcome Back to School!
Message from the Principal
I am absolutely thrilled to welcome everyone back to campus for the 2022-2023 school year! It has been lovely meeting new students as well as seeing familiar faces these last two weeks. My summer went too quickly, but I was able to enjoy time with family on the East coast, watched my daughter play a lot of water polo, saw my son play in baseball games all over the state, surfed a bunch, and enjoyed quite a bit of live music. I was also able to reconnect with friends I haven't seen in person since Covid started.
Last week, the MEA staff began the new school year at a retreat at Mt. Laguna where we also reconnected and came together to share our plans and aspirations for leading teaching and learning this year at our amazing little school. We can't wait to reconnect with returning families and warmly welcome all of our new families this week.
If you couldn't tell, the theme for this year is connection. The staff at MEA are educational partners with you in the truest sense and our goal is to support you. Please do not hesitate to reach out with questions or suggestions. We want to continuously improve to best serve you.
Here's to another great year!
Meet the New MEA Staff!
I’ve been a teacher for 9 years in both special education and general education. My philosophy for working with students is that all children can learn; it’s my job to find the how to create a learning environment filled with differentiated instruction that meets each child’s unique learning needs. I enjoy traveling, love dogs, and never met a oyster I didn’t like. I am looking forward to a wonderful school year at MEA.
I am excited to be starting at Mount Everest Academy for the 2022-2023 school year! This year I will be teaching Biology, AP Biology, AP Environmental Science, Art, Color & Design and Ceramics. I feel extremely fortunate to be able to help such a diverse group of learners on their academic journey! I have been a classroom teacher for 23 years, with the last 22 of those years at Morse High School in the San Diego Unified School District. Prior to entering the teaching profession, I spent several years as an environmental consultant and park ranger and love to bring those experiences into my classes.
Outside of the classroom I love to surf, paddleboard, hike and play with Kona, my newly rescued dog. I am married to a writer and college essay coach who was previously a teacher for over 15 years. My two children are currently entering 6th and 9th grade in San Diego Unified and are excited to take on the challenges of their new schools. This is going to be a great year here at MEA, and I am really looking forward to meeting you all.
- If you need a student ID and password, please ask any of your teachers to print it out for you.
- For Google related products, your username is yourIDemail@example.com.
Month 1 elementary art sign up:
- Please enter your child's name on the form linked below if he/she would like to attend Elementary Art for month 1 on 9/6 and 9/13 from 12:30-1:30.
- PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP IF YOUR CHILD CANNOT COMMIT TO BOTH CLASSES. In order to attend, you MUST sign up.
- Sign up for art here
- For more information, please see the art website here: https://mrssinkmea.weebly.com/elementary-art.html
Music with Mr. Johnson from VAPA (all grades)
- Mr. Johnson is back and adding a uke class to the schedule!
- Please see the schedule here.
- Information about renting instruments is forthcoming.
- Mr. Johnson will be available on campus from 8:15-11 and 1:45-3 on Tuesday 8/30 to answer any questions you may have.
- Please complete the interest form here so we can best plan for the classes and what instruments may be needed.
Do you like creepy crawlies?
Do you want to be a mealworm farmer? Mrs. Sink needs help taking care of the mealworms we are raising for the chickens. If you are interested in helping, contact Mrs. Sink at firstname.lastname@example.org
Meetings with supervising teachers and classes without a meeting time
Meetings with supervising teachers for all students in grades 9-12
- Friday 9/2
- Your supervising teacher will send you an invite or see their website
High School Courses without a regular class meeting (ie. Food and Nutrition, Personal Finance, Human Psych, etc.)
- Orientation meetings will take place Friday, 9/2
- Check your teacher's website on 8/29 for course information and/or Month 1 work to get started