During his life, Hemingway survived exposure to anthrax, malaria, skin cancer, and pneumonia. He lived through diabetes, two plane crashes, a ruptured kidney, hepatitis, a ruptured spleen, a fractured skull, a crushed vertebra, and the only thing he could not stop was himself
During his 62 years, he married four times and divorced three times (Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gellhorn, Mar Welsh Hemingway). Martha Gellhorn never liked being Hemingway’s third wife and required that interviewers not mention the man.
Ernest stole a urinal from his favorite bar claiming that he had “pissed away” enough money into it that, as a result, he should own it. He ended up sticking the urinal in his house.
1. He was a failed KGB Spy
2. Ernest Hemingway was charged with war crimes under the Geneva Convention when he took command and led of a group of French militia into battle against the Nazis.
3. In the Florida Keys, there are a lot of 6-toed cats, because Ernest Hemingway’s cat “got around” a lot.
4. Ernest Hemingway grew paranoid and talked about FBI spying on him later in life. He was treated with electroshock. It was later revealed that he was in fact watched, and Edgar Hoover personally placed him under surveillance.
5. The FBI was right to watch Earnest Hemingway. He was a failed KGB asset named Argo according to the book, ‘The Rise and Fall of the KGB in America’ that was released in 2010.
6. Irish Novelist James Joyce and Ernest Hemingway were drinking buddies in Paris. James would sometimes pick fights in Paris, then hide and call Ernest Hemingway to beat the shit out of the guy.
7. Ernest Hemingway used to machine gun sharks to stop them from eating his catch and that in 1938 he established a world record by catching seven marlins in one day.
8.Ernest Hemingway used to hunt German U-Boats in his fishing boat with direction-finding equipment, a machine gun and hand grenades.
9.Ernest Hemingway’s mother disliked his first book, The Sun Also Rises, apparently claiming that he was “prostituting a great talent” and “pandering to sensationalism
10.American actor Orson Welles and Ernest Hemingway became great friends after getting into a fist-fight with each other in a theater
11.Hemingway wrote a 6 word short story because of a bar room bet. It read, “For sale: baby shoes, never worn.”
12.Hemingway’s wife lost a suitcase at a train station in 1922. In that suitcase was just about every piece of writing Hemingway had completed up until that point. Having lost it all, he essentially had to start from scratch
13,On one instance, when his plane burst into flames on the runway and with his door jammed, Hemingway used his head as a battering ram, butted the door twice and got out.
14. In Florida theres a annual ernest hemingway contest.
15.Hemingway got once drunk, lived and slept with a bear,