Our Future Economy
JOBS! JOBS! JOBS!
Success in the world today requires creativity and collaboration. Community leaders have a responsibility to ensure organizational effectiveness so they can optimize opportunities in a global economy.
The regional business community invites you to look at the merits and feasibility of a new integrated regional economic development model. Please join us!
Information Session: Regional Economic Development
Thursday, June 5th 2014 at 3-5pm
Maitland Recreation Centre, 120 East MacLean Blvd, Maitland, Ontario
Brockville and District Chamber of Commerce
Click here to register for this free event: http://www.brockvillechamber.com/Calendar/calendar.php?ID=51&command=view&t=1&year=2014&month=06&day=05
3:00 pm: Meet & Greet
3:30 pm: Presentations by Panelists, Q & A
4:30 pm: Facilitated Discussion on Next Steps
Chair: Ian McFall, Burnbrae Farms
- Jay Amer, Certified Economic Development Professional, Amer & Associates
- Chris King, CEO, Quinte Economic Development Commission
Jay Amer, Ec.D. President, Amer & Associates Economic Development
Jay Amer is a Certified Economic Development professional who established Amer & Associates Economic Development in January 2010. Prior to forming his own consultancy he was responsible for delivery of a wide variety of economic development services for the regional economic development corporation in Peterborough, Ontario.
Amer & Associates has provided interim management services to the Ontario East Economic Development Commission (OEEDC) since January 2013 and has served as chair of the Marketing Committee and the Advanced Manufacturing Investment Attraction Program, bringing diverse rural and urban communities together in a collaborative marketing effort to support investment attraction initiatives in sectors that include tourism, aerospace, automotive, agri-food, nuclear and green technologies.
Involved in several non-profit organizations as an executive board member, Jay has an interest in effective board governance and has contributed to the development of dynamic delivery models for economic development organizations.
Prior to joining the economic development profession Jay had a successful career in engineering, public affairs and communications with Ontario's provincial electrical energy utility. He is a Past-President of the Economic Developers Association of Canada (EDAC) and a recipient of Bell Canada Ontario East Economic Developer of the Year award presented for contributions to his community and the economic development profession.
Chris King, CEO, Quinte Economic Development Commission
In his role as Chief Executive Officer, Chris oversees all activities of the Quinte Economic Development Commission, a regional economic development organization that represents the City of Belleville, The City of Quinte West (Trenton) and the Municipality of Brighton. Some highlights include;
- Instrumental in assisting local business grow and expand in his community as well as attracting new manufacturing investment to the Bay of Quinte Region including Vantage Foods, Research Castings, Kellogg and others.
- Earned the Economic Developers Association of Canada / University of Waterloo - Professional Economic Development Designation -Ec.D. as well as BA (Economics) Carleton University
- Under Chris’s leadership the Quinte Economic Development Commission was the lead organization in developing programs to support the local manufacturing labour force. Since 1999, the Quinte EDC has accessed and administered over $8 million in funding on behalf of the local manufacturing sector.
- Recognized for his efforts by his colleagues when he received the VIA Rail Canada / Ontario East Economic Development Commission Economic Developer of the Year for 2000.
- In February of 2007 Chris was presented with top award for the Province and received the economic development achievement award for Ontario at the Economic Developers Council of Ontario annual conference.
- In September 2008 QEDC under Chris’ leadership was recognized by the Editors of the US based Site Selection Magazine and the Economic Developers Association of Canada as one of the top 10 economic development organizations in Canada.
Chris is active on a number of boards, committees and has led a number of initiatives including:
- Co-developer of the Workforce Development Initiatives
- Ontario East Economic Development Commission Marketing Chair 2002-2004.
- Team Leader for the Eastern Ontario Food Processing Sector Marketing Initiative
- Leader of several investment missions to major US Cities
- Ex-officio Trenval Community Development Corporation Board of Directors
- Member of the Trenton Rotary Club
- Chair of the Board of Quinte SailAbility, a not-for-profit sail training school offering sailing to people of all ages with disabilities
- Chris is married to Yvonne and proud father to his girls – Carina and Makena