Mapping the Nation
Center for Intl Understanding & The Longview Foundation
Call for Proposals Re-Opened!
The Center for International Understanding is seeking proposals for developing lesson plans using Mapping the Nation to reflect North Carolina’s global connections. Mapping the Nation is a new interactive map that pulls together demographic, economic, and education indicators—nearly one million data points—to show that the United States is a truly a global nation.
Our goal is to create a series of resources (lesson plans) for educators that highlight the importance of global engagement and understanding to help prepare North Carolina’s students to succeed in the global marketplace. Whatever subject you teach — math, social studies, science, art, English, etc. — Mapping the Nation can be used to infuse global content into the classroom. Help your students draw connections between global and local communities.
As you develop your short proposal, think of ways that your lesson plan can create awareness about the importance of North Carolina’s connections to the world.
Proposals should include the following:
1. Narrative (1-2 paragraphs) outlining the following:
- Description of class (subject / grade level)
- Central focus of the lesson(s)
- Time requirement for lesson(s)
- Highlight the importance/relevance of global competency for North Carolina
- Initial ideas about using global data to help students understand North Carolina in the global context
- How you would like to see your lesson plan have an influence beyond the classroom
- Links to prior learning
2. Abbreviated learning plan should reflect the following:
- Alignment with NC content / Common Core Standards
- Measurable learning objectives
- General plan of instruction
- Methods to assess student learning and measure impact
- Submit proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, February 16th.
Up to 8 winning proposals will be selected by CIU and education partners.
Each winning proposal will receive a $500 stipend upon successfully executing the lesson plan in the classroom and delivering required content to CIU.
Highlighted topics may include:
Using global data to demonstrate trends, correlations and statistics
Using global data to discuss current events, demographics and related topics
- Using global data to identify economic opportunities for your county or state
For sample lesson plans, refer to the Mapping the Nation Toolkit.
This project is made possible by a generous grant from the Longview Foundation.