Update on LIP Learning
Tuesday, September 22nd
Dear Eagle Families,
Thank you for an amazing start to the school year! Our teachers are so thrilled to be seeing their students each day, and I’ve been excited to pop in and say hi to them – even though they aren’t in the building, it fills our hearts to be with our students.
This email contains a LOT of information regarding Limited In-Person (LIP) Learning schedules and logistics. PLEASE read through it very carefully and reach out if you have any questions at all. We want this to be as smooth a process as possible.
LIP Learning is:
- Designed to support the learning students are doing at home
- Designed to engage students in learning with safety precautions in place (face coverings, social distancing, etc.)
- Limited to 2 hours per day
- Limited to no more than 10 students in each classroom/group at a time
- Dependent upon our community remaining COVID-19 free – if we have a positive case, we must shut down our LIP learning program for 14 days.
- An accommodation we are able to make because our teachers and staff trust our community to be safe and follow protocol
What LIP Learning looks like at St. Therese:
- Monday – Thursday from 9 a.m. – 11 a.m. ONLY
- Students divided into “cohorts” and assigned meeting days by the classroom teacher
- Remain optional for families – we can’t require students to attend, but encourage participation
- All students in the family/car must pass the health screening and temperature check upon arrival in order to participate
- Groups will begin meeting on Monday, September 28th, depending on what group your child is in.
I appreciate the feedback you provided your teachers during our Welcome Week conferences. This allowed me to work with St. Therese staff to make decisions that will best support our community. I know that this time will not be as accessible to everyone, and I wish we could accommodate the diverse needs of our families, but we simply do not have the capacity to run online learning and LIP person learning simultaneously for more than 2 hours each day. Please remember that while your child is at the school for their LIP Learning time, there are students in the class who are at home learning independently.
Depending on the size of the class and the number of “cohorts” or groups that a teacher must create in order to make this work, your student may be asked to attend one session, or perhaps even two sessions. The classroom teachers will communicate this to you on Wednesday. I urge you to work with other families to create a ride-sharing agreement, either with families in your child’s class, or other St. Therese families who might be accessing LIP Learning on the same days. We are happy to help in any way that we can!
The latest on our “daycare” program was that we were denied because we are not allowed to offer a school-age learning program during the operating hours of distance learning. Someone from the childcare office called last week to offer us a workaround, and we are waiting on those details. While we don’t have the final approval at this time, we are hopeful that this will be an option available to our families who can’t access LIP learning otherwise. In order to accommodate all families in need of this service, it will only be available on the day that your child is scheduled to access Limited In-Person Learning.
Drop-off and pick-up for LIP Learning will follow the same pattern as our health checks during the Welcome Week conferences - follow the flags and signs to the front of the school where we will do a health screening and temperature checks. The health screening questions are attached – we ask that you complete a self-screening before coming to school and stay home to protect our community should you have any of those symptoms.
Please feel free to contact the school with any questions you have. I’ll be available to answer questions in person tomorrow during our supply drive-thru pickup, and sincerely look forward to seeing you all!
Rosemarie El Youssef
Principal, St. Therese School
Drive-thru Supply Pickup
Wednesday, Sep. 23rd, 2-5pm
1260 Northeast 132nd Avenue
We can't wait to see you!
RSVPs are enabled for this event.