BY SAM HEICHEL
HIV and AIDS
- HIV and AIDS are very common in parts of africa and cause many deaths
- Sub-Sahara Africa alone accounted for an estimated 69 percent of all people living with HIV and 70 percent of all AIDS deaths in 2011.
- 91 percent of the world’s HIV-positive children live in Africa.
- Because of HIV/AIDs, the average life-expectancy in sub-Saharan Africa is 54.4 years of age. In some countries in Africa, it’s below 49.
- Between 1999 and 2000 more people died of AIDS in Africa than in all the wars on the continent.
- One in four people age 15 to 49 years is infected with HIV.
- A survey was done in 2004 reported that South African citizens spend more time at funerals than weddings, haircuts, or grocery shopping.