Pleasantdale Middle School LRC
December 2014 Newsletter
Upcoming events in the middle school LRC
Hello parents and guardians of Pleasantdale Middle School!
I wanted to share some upcoming events in the LRC.
Please read below for more information about:
- Parent/child book club
- Rebecca Caudill Young Readers' Book Award
Parent/child book club
We would love for the students at Pleasantdale Middle School to have another opportunity to participate in a book club and we would really love for their parents to join them! Mrs. Steinmetz has a list of books that would be great for parents to read and discuss with a group of students, such as The Outcasts by John Flanagan, Incarceron by Catherine Fisher, The Apothecary by Maile Meloy and many others. Let her know if you are interested in participating in this fun event and she will get you the complete list of books to select from.
- This family literacy night will take place on Thursday, January 15th at 6 p.m. in the Pleasantdale Middle School LRC.
- Please select your book and group members and let Mrs. Steinmetz know before winter break begins on Friday, December 19th in order to distribute the books and allow everyone a reasonable time to finish reading.
- Each group is welcome to have just one adult or multiple adults as the group leader(s), but please keep the group total between 4 and 8 members.
Rebecca Caudill Young Readers' Book Award
Every year, there is a list of 20 excellent books selected for students in 5th-8th grade. The students have the opportunity to vote for their favorite of the 20 books in a statewide book vote during the month of February. The only qualification is that they must have read at least 3 of the titles as a way to compare and select their favorite. All of these books are available at the Middle School LRC for students to borrow and most of them have multiple copies available. Please encourage your children to read from the list below and participate in this great event. The winner will be announced in March and next year's list will be available in April. Please let Mrs. Steinmetz know if there are any questions!
- The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
- Saving Zasha by Randi Barrow
- Almost Home by Joan Bauer
- Chuck Close: Face Book by Chuck Close
- A Diamond in the Desert by Kathryn Fitzmaurice
- Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George
- Unstoppable by Tim Green
- Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading by Tommy Greenwald
- Never Say Die by Will Hobbs
- One For the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
- The Clockwork Three by Matthew J Kirby
- Ungifted by Gordon Korman
- Legend by Marie Lu
- The False Prince by Jennifer Nielsen
- A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park
- Dogs on Duty: Soldiers' Best Friends on the Battlefield and Beyond by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent
- Slob by Ellen Potter
- The Five Lives of Out Cat Zook by Joanne Rocklin
- Bomb: The Race to Build - and Steal - the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin
- Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool