DEARBORN STEM ACADEMY NEWS & NOTES
May 20, 2019 Vol. 1, No. 35
The Dearborn STEM Academy is a grades 6-12 Boston Public School supported by the Boston Plan for Excellence.
STATE testing (MCAS) continues this week. Our grade 8 students will be assessed in Science and our Grade 10 students will be assessed in mathematics on Tuesday and Wednesday, May 21, 22.
We remind students and parents and guardians of the following:
- Students need a good night sleep. Please make sure our middle school students are ready!
- Students should eat a good breakfast. DSA starts serving breakfast at 7:00 am each morning.
- Students need to be in school on time. Students need to be in testing rooms at 7:30 am.
- We will provide a snack during the test to every student.
Thank you for your support and cooperation.
For all of our other students I'll keep sending the following reminders as we near the finish line:
The fourth quarter will move quickly; it's time to stay focused or get back on track:
- Come to school every day and on time.
- Attend all classes.
- Pass in all assignments and on time.
- Ask for extra support if you need it; you can get support after school or during WIN Time.
CALENDAR-LOTS GOING ON!
City Councillor At-Large Michelle Wu to visit the Dearborn
Please join us for the final DSA Artists Club Exhibit of of the year, Thursday, May 23 at 4:30 in the Atrium.
Secretary of Education Jim Peyser to join BAM at DEARBORN
BAM (BECOMING A MAN) is scheduled to host Tony Richards, Chief Deputy of Staff for Governor Baker, and Jim Peyser, MA Secretary of Education, for a DSA BAM Circle on Wednesday, May 22, 2019.
The schedule for the visit will go as follows:
- 11:45 am – 12 noon – Arrival & Introductions
- 12 noon – 12:57 pm – BAM Circle with Dearborn HS students
- 12:57 pm – 1:15 pm – Debrief and Q&A
Shawn Brown, BAM Boston Executive Director, Kevin Ross, BAM Supervisor, along with two BAM Boston Advisory Council Board members, Ed Powell of Justice Resource Institute and Joe Feaster of McKenzie Law, are also scheduled to participate in the visit.
UPCOMING MONTH OF MAY EVENTS FOR MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS, FAMILIES AND COMMUNITY MEMBERS
May 20, City Councillor At Large Michelle Wu visits the Dearborn.
MAY 21, 22 GRADE 10 MCAS MATH, GRADE 8 MCAS SCIENCE
Secretary Peyser to visit the Dearborn
ART CLUB EXHIBIT, 4:30 PM
MIDDLE SCHOOL ATHLETICS CEREMONY, 5:00 PM
SLIFE ZOO Trip (DURING SCHOOL DAY)
MAY 28 SENIOR BREAKFAST
MAY 29 SENIOR LUNCHEON AT MAGGIANO’S
DSA MUSIC END OF YEAR PERFORMANCE, 9:30 am (GUESTS WELCOME)
POETRY SLAM, 6:30-7:30 PM
MAY 31 PROM AT LOMBARDO’S
1st DSA Car Wash a Success!
- 5 students created a promotional video to get kids to come help and participate that was spread on snapchat and facebook
- 12 students showed up at 8 am on a Saturday morning to help! One of whom was an 8th grader who just wanted to help
- Washed over 40 cars in 3 hours and made over $400
- Our first customer helped teach students how to wash the cars...(only one of 12 had ever done it before...)
- Our second customer got out a wrench and washer and fixed our leaky hose
- Principal Brown, Mr. Dixon, Jesse Solomon, Paul Merino, Ms. Knight and Ms. Hughes all donated and got their cars washed
- One customer came from Roxbury Presbyterian who said they wanted to get more involved with things like this at the school
- Many customers donated over the $5 car wash fee.
- Students said, "a lot of work but we did good. I would do this again." So...now they are planning their next one :)
Reflection in Action: Building Healthy Communities (RIA) at Harvard Medical School on June 5, 2019.
Seen in the picture below: Grade 8 students working at the Dearborn on their presentation for the program Reflection in Action: Building Healthy Communities (RIA) at Harvard Medical School on June 5, 2019.
The students were able to select a topic near and dear to them: Environmental Justice Work Within Our Community - what it is and what it looks like.
Aneesia DeCarvalho will be the workshop facilitator for this workshop, along with some of our students. Students from grades 6 and 8 will be participating in the trip over to Harvard Medical School on June 5, 2019.
Some workshop facilitators have met with their students before the workshop date to select a topic and to get students' feedback. Students and facilitators are looking forward to attending Harvard Medical School on June 5
Students and staff on the move!
- 9th Grader Jorge Carrasco taught a Zumba class for students and teachers with Sonie Felix after school:
- We got a GREAT workout and Jorge is now thinking about running these classes more regularly.
-Some six graders joined for the class so they are hoping to maybe teach like this in the future too.
-Running his classes Jorge raised $175 for the 9th grade trip!
PARTNERS HELP OUR STUDENTS!
Theater at DSA!
Our students had a blast onstage, made many new friends, and received a whole cast award for Excellence in Ensemble Performance, based on their ability to work together onstage as a group and to help each other out when a line or an entrance was not quite right.
Elijah Diaz also received a special award for Excellence in Comedic Performance!
The students are eager to finish this play and show it to our community at DSA. Be on the lookout for more information soon. Thanks to all the DSA faculty and staff for their support!
DSA Computer Science Teacher Jon Loporto nominated for award.
Striving for excellence at DSA...
DEARBORN STEM ACADEMY GRADUATION
Wednesday, June 12th, 6pm
36 Winthrop Street
Here are the early-release (11:30 am) days for the remainder of the year!
Wednesday, June 12, Regular Professional Development for Staff
On June 18th and June 19th all DSA students will be dismissed at 11:30 am per BPS regulations.
What we are measured by as a school!
Here are the accountability areas of focus for schools in Massachusetts. As a turnaround school we are acutely aware of our status and are determined to make progress in the areas below.
If you have any questions about how the Dearborn is addressing these issues please do not hesitate to contact us.
- MCAS scores in English language arts, math, and science
- Student growth percentiles in English language arts and math
High School Completion
- Four-year cohort graduation rate
- Extended engagement rate (five-year cohort graduation rate plus the percentage of students from the cohort who are still enrolled)
- Annual dropout rate
Progress Towards English Proficiency
- Percentage of English learners meeting annual targets in order to be English proficient in six years
- Percentage of students missing 10 percent or more of the days they were enrolled at a given school during a school year
Advanced Coursework Completion
- Percentage of 11th and 12th graders completing advanced coursework (Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, dual enrollment courses, and other selected rigorous courses)
In partnership with the Boston Plan for Excellence the Dearborn STEM Academy will host a Summer Learning Academy!
We will communicate by newsletter with you each week. It will be distributed at the beginning of each school week. The purpose of the newsletter is to inform Dearborn STEM Academy students, staff, and families as well as the greater Dearborn community.
If you would like to add something please submit the contents to the appropriate principal; High School Principal Dana F. Brown, firstname.lastname@example.org or Middle School Principal Shelley Olsen, email@example.com
Stories, pictures, calendar reminders, club, activity, and classroom notes are all welcome.