Standing Bear News
December 19, 2019
Message from the Principal
Standing Bear Families,
I wish everyone a safe and relaxing winter break! OPS winter break is scheduled for December 23, 2019 through January 6, 2020.
As I reflect on the first half of the year, I am asking parents to provide some feedback. We will be revisiting our Mission and Vision Statements for Standing Bear Elementary. Below is a link to a brief survey, regarding the positive things at Standing Bear and any need for improvement. Please take a minute to complete the 3 question survey. Your input is important to us, working together is what makes our school great!
Kindergarten Round-up: If you know a child who will turn 5 years old by July 31, 2020 and who resides in the Standing Bear Elementary Attendance Area, please encourage them to attend Standing Bear's Kindergarten Roundup on JANUARY 16th at 10:00 AM.
Parents of eligible students should contact the school office to get your name on the informational list. You may call the school at 402-827-4362.
You will need to bring the following items with you on January 16th to the Kindergarten Round-up:
* Birth Certificate
* Proof of Address (OPPD, MUD bill, etc)
* Current Immunization Records
We look forward to meeting you and your student!
- Below is a link to information regarding the OPS Two-Hour Late Start and Early Dismissal
Alice Buffett Outstanding Teacher Award:
School Choice 2020-21 Information
Calendar of Events
Mark Your Calendars!
* 7th- Classes resume
* 16th- Kindergarten Round-up at 10:00am. If you have an incoming student, we look forward to seeing you then!
PAWS at Home & Winter Swim Lessons
Standing Bear Students- During your winter break, remember to continue working on positive choices/good behavior at home. You received a PAWS Chart to use during the break (example below). Bring those back to school completed to receive PAWs here at school.
During the break- play outside, read some good books and play some board games! Enjoy your time and be ready to hit it hard when you get back on January 7, 2020!
Winter Swim Lessons- Below is a link to the Omaha Public Schools Winter Swim Lessons.
Enjoy the great outdoors!
Enjoy a Good Book!
It is important to take some time to read a few good books over the break!
Board Game Fun!
Play some games with family and friends!
Cool cubs spotlight..
Standing Bear Singers
Standing Bear Singers!!
SBS shared numerous songs for public to enjoy!
Well done GRACE HENSON!
She has worked very hard to learn 2 holiday songs on the guitar and performed them both!
SBS Rock Stars!
Please bring in your Hy-Vee receipts to school, even after you have TAGGed them! This is a great way to help support Standing Bear. All you need to do is bring them to the front office or send them with your student.
Earn Cash for Standing Bear Students!
Continue to submit Hy-Vee receipts, you can also TAGG those in addition to submitting them to school.
TAGG App Makes it Easy!
See below the TAGG Business List and help support our school.
TAGG App: QR Code
Use this code to go right to the app or download from the Play Store.
Earn Cash for Standing Bear Students!
Standing Bear Student Council
Stuff the Turkey!
The Student Council collected warm winter items to donate to the Open Door Mission. They collected 118 hats, 63 pairs of mittens, and 2 scarves.
Pictured below: Kimberly Divett, knitted 81 of the donated hats. Thank you for all of your support!
* PTO Meetings are held on the 2nd Tuesday of every month @ 6:30pm in the school library. Parents are welcome to attend.
Strive For 95!
Good Job Standing Bear Students! We are continuing to show good attendance each month. Classrooms have a chart outside of their doors indicating the percentage of students in attendance for the week. We continue to STRIVE FOR 95%!
Remember, every minute counts!
Cold and Flu Season is Still Here!
Here are a few reminders and tips that might help cut down on the spread of illness in your home and at school.
- Wash your hands! This is probably one of the easiest things we can all do. Germs on your hands can easily spread to anything or anybody we touch. Using warm water and soap will drastically reduce the spread of germs.
- Stay away from others who are obviously ill. A phone call to a friend who is ill is better for both of you. You won't run the risk of being exposed to their illness, and they won't be exposed to more germs when their immune system is already busy fighting an illness.
- Stay home if your temperature is 100 degrees or more. Don't return to school or work until you have been fever free for 24 hours (without fever reducing medication). It takes our body a while to recover from a fever.
- Change your toothbrush every two months or more often if you have had an illness. Buying a new toothbrush will help cut down on re-infecting yourself.
- Don't share drinking glasses or eating utensils. Even family members should follow this rule. Not only are colds and flu spread through the air by coughing and sneezing, body secretions such as saliva and runny noses can also spread them.
- Again, wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands!! As a general recommendation, it is most effective to wash your hands completely with warms water and soap for a minimum of 30 seconds.
Important Information from Standing Bear
We welcome all parents to visit Standing Bear Elementary. For the safety and security of our students and this building, we require that all parents get a visitor badge from the office when going past the main entrance. If you enter through the cafeteria doors, please also stop by the office if walking your child to their classroom. Thank you for taking the extra steps to help ensure our school is a safe place to learn.
Drop Off Zone
We ask that you please continue to pull all the way down to the second crosswalk if possible (by main front doors). We can then unload around 10 vehicles rather than 5. Also, we have some very excited and responsible "Ambassadors" to assist with opening your car doors for easy drop off.
We will be using the School Messenger (Robo call or email) to communicate this year. Please make sure to contact the office if you need to update your contact information.
We ask that you contact your child's teacher to determine if there is a good time to bring in birthday items. We ask that all items be non-food items, due to student allergies. Thank you!
Standing Bear Elementary School is committed to creating a positive atmosphere for academic, social and behavioral success for all students.
"Our hands are not the same color....our opportunities are the same."- Chief Standing Bear
The staff, parents and community of Standing Bear Elementary will educate each student to his/her greatest potential through differentiated learning to become life long learners. The foundation provided at Standing Bear Elementary will encourage respect and responsibility both academically and socially while maintaining high expectations. Students from Standing Bear Elementary will be successful in a diversified society.
Omaha Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, citizenship status, or economic status in its programs, activities and employment and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following individual has been designated to address inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Superintendent of Schools, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131 (402-557-2001).