Welcome Back to School Edition - 8/10/18
Welcome Back to School!
I would like to welcome our new families to the Keith Community. I look forward to meeting you and your children very soon. This is my 3rd year serving as Keith Elementary Principal and my 11th year as a school administrator.
Thank you in advance for ensuring your children are well rested, prepared, and ready to learn. We look forward to working with you and your children in having an academically and socially successful school year.
Families New to Keith and Incoming Kindergarten Students
Back to School Registration Packet
Using a Parent ID and the Walled Lake Family Access system, you will need to complete all necessary forms for the online Back-to-School packet for the new school year.
Please use the directions HERE to assist with the online Back-to-School packet.
- The annual paperless Back-to-School Packet must be completed by ALL parents online, using Family Access, prior to the start of school.
- This process must also be completed in order for parents to view their child's placement for the 18-19 school year. Class placements will be available online on Skyward Family Access after 5:00 PM on Friday, August 17th.
Beginning August 1st, parents are to login to Family Access, using your alphanumeric parent account code, to complete the Back-to-School Packet.
Parents may contact Family Access to acquire a new or lost parent account code at FamilyAccess@wlcsd.org | 248-956-2190.
2018-2019 Classroom Assignments
Class/Teacher placements for the 2018-19 school year will be posted on Skyward Family Access after 5:00 PM on Friday, August 17th.
Please remember that it is our top priority to develop appropriate classroom groupings that will provide all of our children with the best opportunity for academic and social success. Our staff has worked extremely hard in determining the most appropriate classroom placements for all students individually and collectively. It is so important to us that all of our children have the best opportunity for academic and social success this upcoming school year. As a result, no changes to class assignments will be made. Rest assured that our entire teaching staff is highly qualified, experienced and care about your child’s well-being and education. We are committed to providing each child an exceptional education and overall great school experience.
Please remember, you must have completed the Back to School Packet Information online before you can view your child's classroom placement.
Remember to consistently communicate any questions, concerns, or praise to your child’s teacher. Proactive and open communication along with a trusting and positive relationship plays an important role in your child having an academically and socially successful school year.
Welcome Kindergarten Dragons!
The beginning of Kindergarten is a very exciting time in your child’s life and we look forward to a great school year. Your child is in kind, capable hands with our kindergarten teachers and our entire staff.
To help our youngest learners transition into kindergarten, WLCSD will be utilizing a staggered start on the first day of school, Tuesday, August 28th. Please note the following information:
Students with Last Name starting with A-L attend Kindergarten in the Morning - 8:55am - 12:09pm
Students with Last Name starting with M-Z attend Kindergarten in the Afternoon - 1:00pm - 3:58pm
Kindergartners attending school in the afternoon (M-Z) can participate in the daily Dragon Dismissal Process but those attending in morning (A-L) must be picked up from the main doors of the school or take the school bus home.
Kindergarten students will NOT have lunch the first day of school. They will begin a regular lunch routine at school on Wednesday, August 29th.
The Transportation Department will be contacting ALL kindergarten families with bus information by August 23rd, and all students will be safely transported to and from school by bus drivers.
Please note the following information from our transportation department:
Bus transportation will be provided on the first day of school for those students who are eligible for bus transportation throughout the regular school year.
Bus routes will be posted on the district website and Skyward Family Access on August 15, 2018.
Bus drivers will be contacting families prior to August 23rd.
Transportation will be sending out postcards to families that indicate bus stops and times.
If your child is eligible for bus transportation, it is recommended that they start this routine on the first day of school. Parents are welcome to follow the bus to school to see your child off to their first day of school, but it is highly recommended that they ride the bus to and from school this first day if they will be riding daily during the school year.
Students who are not eligible for bus transportation will need to be dropped off and picked up at the front of the building on this first day, including students who may typically walk to/from school.
If you have questions regarding the staggered start please call the main office at 248-956-3700. Any questions regarding busing can be answered by calling our Transportation Department between 5:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. at 248-956-3090.
Kindergarten Supply Lists
Please use the supply list listed on the website (also located further down in the Dragon's Tale) to see what supplies your Kindergartner should bring for their classroom. Any other list you may have should be disregarded. We apologize for any confusion.
1st Day of School - Tuesday, August 28th
Parents may walk their child to class on the first day of school. After the first day of school, we respectfully ask that you allow students to walk to their classroom on their own. Our staff and safeties are available to help all students during this time every day. Thank you for your help with this. We respectfully ask that any volunteers and visitors sign in at the main office.
It gives me great pleasure to welcome the following staff members to Keith Elementary!
Mrs. Diana Tyrrell is very excited to be joining the Dragon family as our new Building Secretary. She has enjoyed working for the WLCSD for the past several years, working as a building substitute and most recently serving as the building secretary at Meadowbrook Elementary School. Mrs. Tyrrell is a former Walled Lake parent herself and has two Walled Lake graduates. Please be sure to stop by the main office and introduce yourself as she is excited to meet our families.
We are so fortunate to be welcoming three new staff members to the Keith family for the 2018-19 school year.
- Mrs. Ranya Grimes will be joining the Keith Elementary School Team as well! Mrs. Grimes will be teaching in a new special education classroom this year. She is joining us from Oakley Park Elementary School and has over 10 years of teaching experience. She is very excited to be joining the Dragon family.
- Ms. Paige Myers and Mrs. Vicki Vowell, paraeducators who will be working in this new program, are also joining the Keith Dragon Family, coming to us from Oakley Park.
It will certainly be a wonderful year at Keith, full of enthusiasm for student learning! As always, please know how deeply honored I am to serve as the Keith principal and help support your wonderful children in their learning journey.
Safety Practices at Keith
- If your child needs to be picked up during the school day, he/she will only be released to a parent, custodial parent, person listed on the school emergency form or a person identified in a permission note from the parent. We will require a photo ID.
- Any legal documents containing custodial restrictions or court orders MUST be on file in our office.
- If you are visiting our school or dropping off a student, please park in our main parking lot and come through the main entrance doors to our office area to sign in. All Keith doors are locked and will not be opened by staff members or students. This includes students who are tardy to school. Do not drop off students in the parking lot if they are tardy for school. Parents must come into the office to sign tardy students in. When using the main entrance, please buzz in and the secretaries will open the door for you.
- To maintain a safe and secure learning environment, parents and visitors may not go to any classroom unless they have made prior arrangements with the classroom teacher. Parent volunteers are welcome at Keith, but must sign in each time they volunteer in a classroom or in the building. Please remember to sign out when you are finished. Parents may not visit classrooms unexpectedly when volunteering or visiting the school. Students walk to their classrooms on their own each day and will be called down to the office if leaving early. We will deliver to classrooms or call students down at a convenient time for any forgotten items brought in to the office.
ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL PROCEDURES
- If you are dropping off your child at the beginning of the day, they must be dropped off in our Car Rider loop area. Parents may drop students off by car starting at 8:40 AM each morning. Mr. Marianovich, Dr. Augenstein, and our fifth grade safeties will be there to assist students if needed.
- Parents should stay in their cars in the Car Rider line and students should exit their cars on their own on the sidewalk side. Students will enter the building and report to the designated hallway area each morning and sit by grade levels. Dr. Augenstein, staff members, and safeties will be on duty each morning in this area.
- Students may not be dropped off before 8:40 AM. Parents and children should remain in their cars until the Car Rider door is opened at 8:40 AM each morning. Students may not be dropped off in the bus area at the south end of the building or in our parking lot.
- The doors at the Car Rider entry will be opened at 8:40 AM and closed and locked at 8:55 AM each morning. If students arrive after 8:55 AM they are tardy for school and will need to be checked in by an adult in our main office.
- If you will be picking up your child at the end of the day, you must use our Car Rider system or Dragon Pick Up system. Parents who had a number last year will keep their same number for this year. Should you need new signs for your vehicles, please email our Interventionist, Julie Palermo or our secretaries Andrea McFarland and Diana Tyrrell. Parents picking up their child with their car must have a Car Rider sign displayed in their car every day on their visor. Parents may request these signs by emailing our Interventionist or the office secretaries. The Car Rider sign will be sent home with your child in the first days of school. Parents that are picking up their child by car should be in our car rider line by 3:50 PM. Parents should stay in their cars and students will be called out to you. Dr. Augenstein or a designated staff member will come put to radio your children's numbers in to the school. Mr. M. and other staff members will be in the parking lot to help direct traffic and ensure safeties are helping students to their vehicles. Please have your Car Rider sign on your visor and in full view for us. This makes the line go much faster! Thank you!
- For the safety of everyone and efficiency, parents may not walk up to the Car Rider door to pick up their child. We want to keep as much foot traffic in one area, and car riding traffic in another. All parents that do not wish to wait in the car rider line must park in our main parking lot. Parents that park should walk up to the front/main entrance door and proceed to the side gym door to pick up their child. A teacher and safeties will be there to assist you. This is our Dragon Pick Up area. Parents should bring their Dragon Pick Up Sign/number with them to the pick up area. Signs will be collected by a staff member. When your child arrives to the Dragon Pick Up door, your Dragon Pick Up Sign will be returned to you and students will be dismissed to their parents. Parents should wait outside on the sidewalk area for students to be dismissed. Parents and students will then walk to their parked cars.
- Thank you for helping us maintain a safe, secure and efficient arrival and dismissal at Keith. Parents have been awesome about this and are very helpful for new parents. Thank you for helping!
Additional Arrival and Dismissal Information will be sent closer to the first day of school.
WLCSD 2018-2019 Calendar
For the Walled Lake District Calendar, please click HERE
For a Yearly List of Major Religious and Other Holidays, please click HERE
For a list of middle school delayed start dates, please click HERE
For middle school late start dates and high school PLC dates, please click HERE
Fall - Save the Dates for the 2018-2019 School Year!
The following calendar dates and times for Keith Specific events are TENTATIVE for the 18-19 School Year. The 2018-2019 District Calendar dates for school breaks and no school days is set and that calendar can also be found on the WLCSD website and is linked above for your convenience.
August 27 - Welcome Back to School Night - 3-5pm
August 28 - First Day of School
August 29 - PTA Meeting - 7pm Keith Media Center
August 31 - No School
September 3 - No School
September 4 - Grades K-1 Curriculum Night 6pm
September 5 - Grades 2-3 Curriculum Night 6pm
September 10 - No School
September 13 -Grades 4-5 Curriculum Night 6pm
September 14 - Taste of the Garden 6:30pm & Family Movie Night 7pm Keith Playground
September 18 - 1/2 Day of School
September 19 - No School
September 25 - Grades K-2 VIP Mileage Club Day
September 26 - Grades 3-5 VIP Mileage Club Day
September 28 - Keith Fun Run
Week of October 1-5 - 5th Grade Camp Week
October 2 - PTA Meeting - 7pm Keith Media Center
October 9 - Elementary Open House - 6pm
October 12 - WLN Homecoming - Keith Dragons to march in the Homecoming Parade!
October 31 - 1/2 Day of School and Halloween Parade 10:30am
November 1-9 - Fall Book Fair
November 5 - PTA Fall in Love with Reading Book Fair Event - 6pm
November 6 - No School
November 7 - PTA Meeting - 7pm Keith Media Center
Week of November 12-16 - WLCSD Diversity Week
November 22-23 - No School - Thanksgiving
December 11 - PTA Meeting - 7pm Keith Media Center
December 13 - 1/2 Day Elementary Parent Teacher Conferences (Dismissal at 11:09am)
December 21 - Winter Break begins end of day
January 3 - School Resumes
January 8 - PTA Meeting - 7pm Keith Media Center
January 21 - No School - MLK Celebration at WLN
February 5 - PTA Meeting - 7pm Keith Media Center
February 7 - 1/2 Day of School
February 13 - Jump Rope for Heart Event - 6:30pm
February 14 - Valentine's Day
February 18-22 - Mid-Winter Break
March 5 - PTA Meeting - 7pm Keith Media Center
March 12 - Kindergarten Orientation - 6:30pm
March 15-22 - Spring Book Fair
March 22 - 1/2 Day of School
March 19 - Breakfast with Someone Grand
March 21 - Keith STEAM Night
March 22 - 1/2 Day of School and All School Read In
March 25 - PTSA Reflections Celebration & FFE Tuition Expedition Raffle Drawing 6:30pm Walnut Creek Middle School
April 1-5 - Spring Break
April 9 - PTA Meeting - 7pm Keith Media Center
April 19 - No School
April 29 - PTSA Council Meeting at Keith 7:00pm
May 6-10 - Teacher Appreciation Week
May 7 - PTA Meeting - Keith Media Center 7pm
May 20-24 - Eat-A-Rainbow Week
May 24 - 1/2 Day of School
May 27 - No School
May 31 - Senior Walk for WLN Dragon Alumni - 10:30am
June 6 or June 7 - Tentative Field Day Dates
June 12 - 5th Grade Ceremony 9:30am
June 13 - 1/2 Day of School, Final Day of School, 11:30am 5th Grade Clap Out
2018-2019 School Supply List
Taste of the Lakes to support LAYA!
Authorization to Administer Medication Form
VOLUNTARY SCHOOL ACCIDENT INSURANCE
Kroger Rewards - $$$ For Keith!
Amazon Smile Gives Back!
When you shop at AmazonSmile, Amazon donates 0.5% of your AmazonSmile purchase price to the charitable organization of your choice. Sign up to Support Keith Elementary and support your favorite charity every time you shop. Learn more Please see http://smile.amazon.com/about for complete program details.
August Lunch Menu
Lunch and Food Service Information
Our hot lunch program begins on Tuesday, August 28th for students in grades 1-5.
The cost for a hot lunch will be $2.75 this year. The cost for a reduced lunch will be $.40.
Breakfast will be available every day and will also begin the first day of school. The cost for breakfast will be $1.25. Breakfast is $.30 for eligible free and reduced lunch students. .
Please click HERE for the August Elementary Lunch Menu.
Invisible Dad Lunch Program
Hunger has many faces. In the United States, 2 out of 10 children suffer from a form of hunger that is not readily portrayed in the media but it is also a kind of hunger that we can put an end to right here in our own communities. This kind of hunger is called Food Insecurity and it takes the form of children being forced to skip meals, eating cheap unhealthy snacks to fill their stomachs between “meals”.
In Walled Lake Schools, the 12 WL elementary schools have adopted the Invisible Dad program which entitles all children to a school lunch, even if a student’s lunch account does not have money in it. Invisible Dad accounts have been set up at our schools to cover lunch for children whose parents have forgotten, are unable, or for whatever reason have not kept their account up-to-date. Parents receive a confidential notification that their child has accessed the Invisible Dad account and they are given an opportunity to update the account, complete a Free and Reduced Lunch form or to talk to a school administrator.
TO DONATE: Please make a check out to your Walled Lake School with Invisible Dad in the “memo” line. This money will keep the account for your school able to continue this important program.
In the News:
Metro Detroit "Invisible Dad" ensures all elementary students get lunch - WXYZ Ch. 7
Commerce dad stands invisibly in school lunch lines - Spinal Column
Invisible Dad Campaign helping children who can’t pay for lunch - Oakland Press
Peanut Free Practices, Birthdays, and Snacks PEANUT FREE PRACTICES, BIRTHDAYS, AND SNACKS
Peanut Free Classrooms
Please be aware that we have students at Keith Elementary that may have a life-threatening allergy to peanuts and/or tree nuts. Some students may not eat, touch, or even inhale the aroma of peanuts or tree nuts without having life-threatening consequences. As a result, it is imperative that we all keep this in mind when planning for any food brought into school. This year, your child’s classroom may be designated as a nut free classroom. If your child's classroom is designated as a nut free classroom, please do not send in food items that contain peanuts, tree nuts, or nutmeg. ANY non-labeled foods (home baked items included) for class parties cannot be ingested, either. This also includes food that is manufactured in facilities that process peanuts/tree nuts. Many food items are safe for consumption, but may require a different brand if the product is manufactured in a facility that processes tree nuts. Your child's teacher will notify you if your child's classroom is a nut free classroom, and will give you a suggested snack and party list of foods to help guide you with food choices. There are also nut free areas designated in our cafeteria.
With concerns for food allergies, parents may not send in food items for birthday treats. Other items such as pencils, erasers, stickers, a book for the class, etc. are excellent choices for honoring birthdays.
Snacks and Water
Time will be allotted in your child's classroom for a snack each day. We encourage students to eat healthy snacks-preferably fruit, vegetables or a source of protein if possible. Parents and students should read labels carefully to avoid snacks that may have been manufactured in non-nut free environment or contain products that some students may be allergic to. To help with recycling, it would be best to have a reusable water bottle for your child to use for water if needed.
As always, the health, safety and well-being of each and every child at our school is of the utmost importance to all of us. Thank you for your continued support .
Welcome to Scouts - Pack 36 Event Information
Pack 36 welcomes everyone to join us on Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 6:30 pm at Keith elementary gymnasium for join scouting night. Pack 36 promotes family scouting where we welcome all children grades k through 5. We have several exciting activities planned this year. We have team building activities, sporting and stem activities. We will be having camp outs, a harvest happening, cake bake and cabin camping with winter sports. Families are welcome to learn to build a car from a block of wood and race it at our pinewood derby. We have an annual Blue and Gold banquet where we gather and celebrate our scouts hard work and achievements. We build a float each year and ride on it for the Memorial Day Parade. We build rockets and launch them at our annual picnic. Scouting helps children learn to reach their full potential. Scouts develops skills including team work, time management, leadership, initiative, planning, communication, self-motivation, cultural awareness, and commitment. If you plan join but are unable to make it that day, please contact Ruby Mayville at 248.891.8759 or email at email@example.com. We hope to see you there.
Announcements From our Keith PTA:
The Next Keith PTA Meeting is Wednesday, August 29th at 7pm in the Keith Media Center
PTA Reflections Contest 2018-2019
Please be sure to take some time to get creative this summer! If you have any questions, please reach out to Keith Elementary PTA Reflections Chair:
Now that summer vacation is about to start, it’s a great time to start looking for inspiration for your projects! Start thinking about the people in your world who are heroes. Are they someone whose job is to help people? Are they someone who volunteers in the community? Are they kids helping grown-ups? Or grown-ups helping kids? Are they people helping animals? Or animals helping people?
We can’t wait to see how those heroes inspire you through the arts! Review the current standing rules at the Michigan PTA Reflections website: https://www.michiganpta.org/page/Reflections201718
We’ll have finalized rules provided later for the 2018-19 school year. For more info, please contact Keith PTSA Reflections Chair, Kate Tomasik, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Giving Garden Info:
We need families to help out with our beautiful Giving Garden while the kids are off. We are asking you to consider adopting the garden for a week sometime during the summer. We will meet with you at your convenience to go over what's happening in the garden and answer any questions you might have. Then, you'll need to come to the garden 2-3 times during your week to:
- water (great job for the kids!);
- do a little weeding (also a great job for kids!); and,
- harvest (the kids' favorite part!).
Please consider signing up for a week - by contributing a little of your time and energy, you are helping share a love of healthy living with the all our students and the entire Keith community.
If you can't take a whole week, consider tag teaming with friends. Or, come out on a Monday at 9am to help us with our weekly garden tasks. Any questions? Email us at KeithGivingGarden@gmail.com, visit our facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/TheGivingGardenKeith) or drop-in to the garden on any Monday starting June 18th.
To signup, click the link and pick your week! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0c4cadae23ab9-20189
Thank you so much for supporting the Giving Garden at Keith.
Elizabeth Belcher and the Garden Committee
Keith Elementary School
Andrea McFarland - Principal's Secretary
Diana Tyrrell - Building Secretary
Julie Palermo - Interventionist
Marci Augenstein, Ph.D. - Principal, Keith Elementary