AIS Friday Flash
Friday, October 16, 2020
Virtual State of the School
Thank you to our community members who joined our virtual State of the School presentation last night. Here is the slide deck for your review. Please reach out to the board, Jacques, or April with any questions.
Spirit Night @ Modern Market-TONIGHT, 10/16, 5:00 - 8:00 pm
We hope you can join us for the first Spirit Night of the school year at Modern Market in the Arboretum tonight! Enjoy a night free of cooking and dishes and order online to have it delivered or pick it up curbside. Here's how to participate:
- Order online: Make sure to enter "giveback019" so your order is tracked to AIS, or
- Via phone at 512-401-3694 and mention that you are with Austin International School before placing your order, or
- In-person with limited outdoor seating.
- Modern Market will generously donate 30% back to AIS.
We thank you for participating in these community fundraising events. See the attached flyer for other upcoming Spirit Nights. These are easy ways to give back to the school as we launch our season of giving and Annual Fund Campaign. Stay tuned for more information in your inboxes soon.
Thank you Chow & Strub Families
We would like to extend a big thank you to the Chow/Conway family for the donation of chairs, whiteboard, and installation of our outdoor classroom space. The students love learning underneath the Oak trees. And thank you to the Strub family for donating 5 of the standup hand sanitizer stations! We are getting much use out of both this year.
For other families looking to donate in-kind supplies, the school can use paper towels, cleaning wipes (clorox or lysol), boxes of tissues, and gallons of hand soap. Thanks for considering us on your next shopping run.
Please remember that for the safety of our children and staff, the speed limit is 5 miles per hour or less while driving on campus.
Please be advised that only staff members are permitted to use the back parking lot during school hours (i.e., from 7:45 am to 6:00 pm). Though we have placed a barrier with a stop sign reminder, please be sure to pass this information along to any people authorized to pick-up your child(ren). Thank you for your understanding and cooperation with our traffic patterns at school!
Reminder: Regular School Days on October 22nd and 23rd
Please be reminded that Thursday, October 22nd, and Friday, October 23rd are regular school days. In mid-August, we published a new one-page 2020-2021 school calendar to the community with adjusted progress report and report card dates. This adjustment required us to move our fall Parent-Teacher conferences from October 22nd (half-day) and 23rd (full-day) to November 5th (half-day) and 6th (full-day). To make sure you have the right version of the 2020-2021 one-page calendar, look in the bottom left corner at the “Last revised” date. The most recent version is August 20, 2020. If you have one that says December 19, 2019, then it’s safe to throw it in the recycling bin! Remember that you can always link your smart devices with our interactive calendar by visiting the school calendar on our website and clicking on the green calendar in the upper right corner. Thank you for your understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience caused.
MAP Assessments Begin-Mon., 10/26
We will begin our first term Measure of Academic Performance (MAP) Assessments on Monday, October 26th. We will update you with more details as it gets closer.
Halloween at AIS-Fri., 10/30
While we can't have our typical costume parade or classroom parties, this year we are taking it mobile. The school looks forward to celebrating with you as a community.
- Students in CP and up may wear Halloween costumes to school per the following guidelines.
- no scary, bloody, or gory costumes
- no weapons or anything that resembling weapons
- no alcohol, tobacco or drug-related props or accessories
- no suggestive costumes inappropriate for children
- all students must wear regular face masks (not Halloween masks).
attire and colors. If desired, parents may help them change into costumes after pickup
before our Spooktacular Car Parade.
Drive Through Spooktacular Car Parade
- Join us for a drive-thru car parade from 4:15 - 4:45 pm starting at the Millwood Library and following the parade route as shown.
- Trick your rig out! We will host a contest for the Best-Themed Car, the Spookiest Halloween vehicle, and Best in Show judged by Mr. Jacques, Ms. Emily, and Ms. April.
Save the dates
We will continue to build out our school calendar and will update you with more event dates as they approach.
- 10/16 Spirit Night at Modern Market
- 10/26 MAP Assessments Begin
- 10/27 PTO Mtg 5:30
- 10/27 Board of Directors Mtg 6:30
- 10/30 Halloween Car Parade
- 11/2 Progress Reports Disseminated
- 11/5 Coffee with the Head of School
- 11/5 Half Day of School/Parent-Teacher Conferences
- 11/6 No School & Parent-Teacher Conferences continued
- 11/12 Middle School Info Session
- 11/12 Alumni Night