Term 4 Week 3 31st October 2022
Kia ora koutou
It has been a great few week’s back since the holiday break and the students have been working very hard on their Ag Day activities and normal school work.
Thank you to all the community that came to Ag Day/Calf Club. There was a great turn out and the students did a wonderful job with their animals and classroom displays. It was lovely to catch up with many of you, especially all the extra family like grandparents, aunties and uncles.
A big thank you to the PTA and parent helpers and families who provided the food and helped in the food tent.
Thank you to our animal judges, Marion Black, Lucinda McBeth, Bill Pederson and Theresa. It can be a hard job deciding the winners and we appreciate the effort and care you put into your judging.
Thank you to all the support staff and teachers for their efforts leading up to, on the day and the big clean up.
Paid Union Meetings
On the 25th of November, our teachers will be participating in Paid Union Meetings as part of their pay and conditions negotiations. We will be splitting our classes on the day. Half our staff with attending a morning session and the other half in the afternoon. This way school can stay open with minimal disruption. We have great teachers at our school and we think they deserve improvement in their pay and work conditions. In particular, to have true parity with our secondary school colleagues around release time and improved teacher to student ratios.
Pool out of action in the Christmas holidays
This summer break the school pool is going to be upgraded. It is going to get a full fibreglass inlay which will mean no more leaks or painting for many years. Unfortunately, this means that the pool will not be open to the community over the holiday break. The work was meant to be done before the holidays but was postponed. We will offer keys for half price, $25, for the community to use during school term only and after 5.30pm. A $50 bond for the key will still stand. Please contact Vicki if you would like a key or are keeping your key from last year if it was not returned.
We have noticed a few cars parking in the teacher's car park area while waiting for children. We would prefer you don’t park here as you cross in front of the gate which is a high risk zone. We know it is tricky finding a spot at 3pm and we are working hard towards a new car park in 2023. But in the meantime, coming a few minutes later when there are plenty of parks may be an option for you.
This Wednesday 2nd November all children will be going to Poroti School to compete in the annual athletics event. They will compete against other schools in our area and some children from Year 4 to 8 may be selected to go into the WPSSA (Whangarei Primary Schools Sports Association) athletics competition. We need parents to transport children over to Poroti School please. You are not required to stay for the day, but your help getting them there would be very much appreciated. Please fill in the permission form on our Skool Loop App and indicate how many children you can transport if you are available to help. Parking will be at the Mangakahia Sports Complex. Thank you. There will be food on sale at Poroti School on the day.
As we don't have enough transport at this stage we will have to hire a bus to get the children there.
This will be held at Barge Park on Thursday 3rd November. Calves must be registered before they are taken in due to M Bovis restrictions. Goats and lambs may be registered on the day but you must be there at 9am to do this. All children who are attending Central Day, please come and see Mrs Lye in the office for a school shirt.
Ag Day/Calf Club
It was unfortunate the weather wasn't so good for Ag Day on Saturday but it was wonderful to see so many members of our community turn up. Thank you to all for your support. We would normally do prizegiving on Ag Day but due to the weather we postponed it until today.
Everyone is welcome to come along at 2.30 today for prizegiving and the raffle draw.
The wheelbarrow grocery raffle and the BBQ raffle will be drawn today. The craft raffle was won by the Stewart's and the dwarf fruit trees by the Gray's.
The following children placed for their spectacular efforts for the indoor exhibits;
1st - Harper Bowmar, 2nd - Theia Waterhouse, 3rd - Sloane Allen
1st - Riley King, 2nd - Saydee Barge, 3rd equal - Kaliah Barge, Mason Schraag, James Templeton
1st - Journey Hughes, 2nd - Leah Powell, 3rd equal - Ethan and Louie Reynolds.
1st - Zoe Hayes, 2nd - Eva Gray, 3rd - Jordan Donker, Coby Mills, Emma Lee Delemare, Caitlin Riley
1st - Chloe McMurchy, 2nd - Holly Gourlay, 3rd - Jack McBeth and Brooke Donker
Yvie Pye - Champion Calf, 1st Leading, 3rd Rearing
Alex Boys - 1st Rearing
Zoe Hayes - 2nd Leading, 2nd Rearing
Tristan Woolston Boys - 3rd Leading
Harper Bowmar - 1st Rearing Junior
Zoe Pugh - Reserve Champion, 1st Leading, 2nd Rearing
Kaliah Barge - 2nd Leading
Louie Pugh - 3rd Leading, 3rd Rearing
Journey Hughes - Champion Goat, 1st Rearing, 2nd Leading, 3rd Calling
Leah Powell - Reserve Champion, 1st Calling, 2nd Rearing, 3rd Leading
Avery Powell - 1st Leading, 2nd Calling, 3rd Rearing
Eva Gray - Champion Lamb, 2nd Leading, 2nd Calling, 2nd Rearing.
Coby Mills - Reserve Champion, 1st Calling, 1st Rearing.
Paige Thompson - 1st Leading, 3rd Rearing.
Emma-Lee Delemare - 3rd Calling.
Ryan Delemare - 3rd Leading.
Ava England - 1st Leading, 1st Rearing, 2nd Calling.
Amelia-Rose Hape - 2nd Leading
Caedyn McMurchy 2nd Rearing, 3rd Calling
Eli Phimester 3rd Leading
Eden Phimester 1st Calling, 3rd Rearing
Congratulations to Toni Hughes for winning the Wheelbarrow Grocery raffle and to Rachel James for winning the BBQ.
Please note the change of date for the PTA Quiz Night. It is now being held on Friday 25th November at 6.30pm at the Kara/Kokopu Hall.
Drink Bottles. Our water issues have be rectified but it would be good to send your child with a drink bottle full of water each day.
Hats. Please remember this term all children will be required to wear a hat when outdoors.
Year 7 & 8 Technology Training. Every Monday for term 3 and 4 our Year 7 and 8 students will be taking the bus into Manaia View School to do Technology Training. Please ensure they are at school before 9am when the bus leaves and also that they are wearing their Kokopu School Tee Shirt.
- Carpark and gate. Please come to the gate in the carpark to collect your children at the end of the day. We do not want children walking through the carpark without an adult as it is unsafe with the amount of cars and limited parking. We have a teacher on duty at the gate each day to supervise. Can we ask parents and visitors to make sure they close the gates if you use them? We have a few children that may be prone to walking out an open gate. Thank you. Please don't park by the entrance gate or teachers carpark area. Also please avoid parking by the letterbox at the front of the school. This is a dangerous area with several close calls lately.
- Absences. A reminder that it is important to contact the school before 9.30am when your child will be absent. You can either phone, email or let us know via our Skool Loop app. We need to know where your children are so we know they are safe and can mark them correctly on the roll. See details in this newsletter on how to download our Skool Loop App.
- Iceblock Sales. Ice Blocks are for sale again to raise funds for the school. Many children who come to school with $2 like to buy their friend an ice block. Please could you send a note to say they are allowed to do this? The Room 6 children do ask but a note would be easier for them.
- Term Dates. Term 1 03/02— 14/04 Term 2 02/05— 08/07 Term 3 25/07— 30/09 Term 4 17/10— 15/12
- Term 4 17/10 to 15/12
- 31 October - BOT Meeting 5.30pm
- 2 November - Poroti Athletics Day
- 3 November - Central Ag Day
- 4 November - Super Hero Day
- 5 November - PTA Quiz Night
- 10 November - Mangakahia Kapa Haka Festival
- 11 November - Kokopu Athletics
- 23 November - WPSSA Y7&8 Athletics
- 30 November - WPSSA Y4-6 Athletics
- 5 December - BOT Meeting 5.30pm
- 13 December - Prizegiving
- 15 December - Reports home and last day
- Term 1 2023
- Thursday 2nd February 2023 - Start school
School Policies and Procedures Schooldocs
Maungatapere Community Hui
We are running a community hui in November to help create a safer and more connected community.
When: 19 November from 3-5pm, afternoon tea included
Where: Maungatapere Community Hall, 1257 State Highway 14
New local website
Maungatapere also has its very own website with everything local. It includes local information, community and business directories, history, and events.