The Future of Education
Reforming Time Spent in School
Structure of School Year
- The current 3 month summer structure is outdated.
- Students can retain year much more efficiently.
- Teenagers students typically need 9 hours of sleep per night
- Studies showed tardiness and absences significantly decreased with later start times
- More Variation For Teachers in the Classroom
- Increases the Amount of Information Covered
Open Campus/ Career Exploration
- Having an open campus offers the lessons needed in transitioning students to adulthood. Such lessons included: maturity, decision making, and independence.
- Career exploration programs give students an opportunity to experience the real-world workplace.
Blazer, Christie. "Delayed High School Starting Times." EBSCO. EBSCO Industries, Oct. 2009. Web. 11 Nov. 2014.
Calendar Slides. Digital image. Visual Communications. M62, 16 Oct. 2012. Web. 16 Nov. 2014.
Gruber, Charlotte D., and Anthony J. Onwuegbuzie. "Effects of Block Scheduling on Academic Achievement among High School Students." High School Journal 84.4 (2001): 32-48. EBSCO. Web. 16 Nov. 2014.
Hollingsworth, Jana. "Duluth High School Principals Want to Stick with Open Campus." EBSCO. ESBSCO Industries, 15 May 2013. Web. 11 Nov. 2014.
Lyttle, LeighAnne. "Year-Round versus Traditional Schools." EBSCO. EBSCO Industries, 3 Mar. 2011. Web. 12 Nov. 2014.
McGeorge, David. "Sleepless in America: School Start Times." EBSCO. EBSCO Industries, 1 July 2012. Web. 11 Nov. 2014.
Mitchell, Aric. 9 Frustrating Things About High School (According To Students). Digital image. 4tests. 4tests.com, n.d. Web. 16 Nov. 2014
OK- When Am I Ever Going to Use This? A Classroom Strategy. Digital image. Vimeo. Vimeo, 27 Oct. 2014. Web. 16 Nov. 2014.
Person Sleeping. Digital image. The Holistic Approach. The Holistic Approach, 7 Sept. 2012. Web. 16 Nov. 2014.
Reese, Susan. "Exploring the World of Work Through Job Shadowing." EBSCO. EBSCO Industries, 2 Feb. 2005. Web. 11 Nov. 2014.
Sally, Gary. Last Day of School. Digital image. Wordpress. The Hatch Theme, 25 May 2012. Web. 16 Nov. 2014.
Substitute Teacher. Perf. Keegan Key and Jordan Peele. Comedy Central, 2012. Television.
Will, Madeline. "Popularity Grows Anew For Year-Round Schools." EBSCO. EBSCO Industries, 08 Oct. 2014. Web. 12 Nov. 2014.
Williams, Charles, Jr. The Impact of Block Scheduling on Student Achievement, Attendance, and Discipline at the High School Level. Diss. Argosy U, 2011. N.p.: n.p., n.d. EBSCO. Web. 12 Nov. 2014.