European Solidarity Corps
Short-term volunteering opportunity in Sumy (Ukraine)
ABOUT THE PROJECT
This project involves 2 volunteers from Turkey and is the result of cooperation between two organizations from Ukraine and Turkey.
It addresses to the issues of cultural diversity and equality and focuses on the themes: Citizenship, Participation and Cultural Diversity.
In general the project objectives are:
- promote solidarity among people;
- develop cooperation and mutual understanding;
- promote volunteering as a tool for civic participation and a mechanism for acquiring skills;
- support populations in processes of social exclusion, including minority groups;
- promote intercultural learning.
In the realities of the global lockdown of 2020-2021this project will combine offline and online events and meetings. Nowadays the majority of the activities on NGOs are organized online, so one more issue to be mentioned is the support existing pages of the Host Organization and develop new ones in social networks (Facebook, Instagram, TikTok).
NGO "Center for Euroinitiatives" (CEI) - is public nonprofit organization, created on the principles of voluntarily participation, human rights, freedom of speech, common interests, self-government and equality of rights for its members, as well as for the protection of our legal interests, rights, and freedoms.
Goal: to assist in the reformation of Ukraine in accordance with European standards, to introduce democratic values, and to develop civil society in Ukraine using educational and informational methodologies.
More information about CEI:
WE NEED YOU IF YOU ARE:
- 18-30 years old;
- enthusiastic and energetic;
- eager to learn, enjoy working with youth and full of creative ideas;
- good in social networks, blogging, vlogging
Strong organizational skills are considered very useful as the ability to communicate in English.
IT WILL BE COOL IF YOU:
- feel comfortable living on your own;
- are able to adapt to new situations;
- have good problem-solving skills;
- have the desire to work and live in the mixed groups of volunteers from different nationalities that will have their project at the same time at CEI.
CEI does't mind to involve volunteers with fewer opportunities into the project and ready to accept such applicants with:
1) Economic obstacles;
2) Geographical obstacles;
3) Educational difficulties
You can find more details HERE.
The project is inclusive and it is open for all interested people, who are under the demands of ESC volunteering projects.
The activities of the project will be connected with the Association of School Euroclubs. Volunteers will help to organize the regular weekly meetings in euroclubs according to their aims and objectives, promote ESC programme and present their own culture and country.
Implemented by volunteers activities will include involving local school youth focused on promoting European values, active citizenship, civic responsibility, solidarity, community service.
Aslo volunteers will promote the organization in the social networks.
In the frames of the project volunteers will have the chance:
- to participate in and lead Euroclub meetings online and offline;
- to organize various workshops and activities for children and young people online and offline;
- to lead thematic youth clubs online and offline;
- to organize entertainment events online and offline;
- to fulfill volunteers' blog and network pages of the organization;
- to help organize and support the existing initiatives and events of the organization;
- support all instructors in their regular activities in the workshops;
- to prepare own workshops (once a week) online and offline;
- to prepare media and marketing materials (pictures, presentations, films, leaflets, posters);
- to organize language classes for local community;
- to carry out activities about the culture and customs of the country of volunteers.
AND you will have the opportunity to make your most creative ideas to come to the reality!
CEI UNITS WHERE TO REALIZE YOURSELF
Since 2009 the Hosting organization has the Association of School Euroclubs - the biggest organized network in Ukraine. As the today’s school and university youth will create Ukrainian’s future, main aim of euclubs is formation of a clear civic position, the development of a sense of personal responsibility, creation the positive image of Ukraine as a European state.
During 11 years euroclubs focus on:
- dissemination of information about the institutions of European Union;
- familiarization with the mechanism of functioning of democracy and civil society;
- studying culture, traditions and customs of the EU countries;
- popularizing this information among representatives of local community through the preparation of creative projects and mass events.
In the project frames volunteers will meet with euroclubs and present them their culture, share knowledge and teach themnew skills.
VOLUNTEERING CLUB SAY-TEAM
Here is the example of the activities of SAY-Team
EARSMUS+ ALUMNI GROUP
In the frames of this project volunteers could join the meetings and support youth in their learning process as well.
INFOCENTRE OF DERASMUS+ AND EUROPEAN SOLIDARITY CORPS IN UKRAINE
It provides consultations and support to organizations in Ukraine, promotes the dissemination of best practices and cooperation in the implementation of youth projects under the program.
This is the only Infocentre in Ukraine.
In the project frames Volunteers will present the European Solidarity Corps for young people of Ukraine and give tips how to be chosen for the project.
The EU citizens and the citizens of countries members-candidates DO NOT need to make a visa for legal stay in Ukraine for period up to 90 days.
For crossing the Ukrainian border it is required:
- a valid international passport;
- Cigna Insurance;
- project documents (provided by Hosting and Sending organizations): invitation, volunteering agreement;
- COVID-19 insurance.
IMPORTANT: Before arrival to Ukraine check the necessity to have a negative COVID-19 test. For now Turkey is in a GREEN zone for Ukraine but the situation can change at the moment of the arrival.
TRANSFER TO SUMY
You can get to Sumy from 3 main airports in Kyiv and Kharkiv:
There will be the instruction letter, provided by the Hosting Organization, with the transfer information to the place of venue as soon as the Hosting Organization gets your travel plan. You will get to Sumy either by train or by a minibus. The price of the tickets to Sumy from Kyiv or Kharkiv will be around 300 - 450 UAH (8 - 15 euro).
HERE you can check the schedule of the trains. If you need Hosting Organization will support you in booking tickets.
A seat in the minibus will be booked for you if you choose this means of transport to Sumy.
CEI will create the appropriate conditions for working and living in the hosting community.
Volunteers will live in a shared apartment and accommodated in the double room in the rented flat in the city center area together with a male volunteer from Turkey and a female volunteer from Italy. All the rented flats are in 15 minutes on foot from the office. This is an average modest flat which contains all necessary things for living: a washing machine, a fridge, bed linen, kitchen utilities and kitchenware available for cooking, Wi-Fi router.
All volunteers will have shared flat responsibilities.
CEI office has a Volunteering room where the volunteers may prepare for their activities, language clubs etc. Each volunteer has a personal key from it. There is Wi-Fi access so if volunteers have a possibility we would recommend you to bring your laptop or a tablet for personal use. It is better if you have your own laptop in order to work at home. Volunteers may use the technical equipment available at CEI to prepare for your activities (printer, projector, scanner, speakers, stationary). The activities themselves could take place in different locations (schools, youth center, etc.).
The first week after volunteers' arrival will be an adaptation week. Volunteers will see the place of work, get to know the people and the current volunteers, get acquaintance with people from the community.
The working schedule is flexible but no more that 32 working hours per week. If the volunteers are involved at weekends, they will get free days during the week.
- living money (100 euro per month in UAH*) + pocket money (3 EUR per day in UAH) + local transport money (5 EUR per month in UAH**);
- internal trainings of CEI (integration week, regular upgrades);
- coordinator’s, mentor's, staff support;
- educational workshops offered by a coordinator, mentor, staff members;
- study visits to partners' organizations;
- Cigna insurance (responsibility of Sending Organization),
- Youthpass certificate;
- round way trip reimbursement according to Distance Calculator of Erasmus+ Programme (responsibility of Sending Organization);
- work in the international volunteering team;
- a lot of funny extra work activities.
*UAH - Ukrainian currency. 1 Euro = 32 - 34 UAH
**Local transport's price in Sumy is 0,12 - 0,15 EUR per trip
Sumy (Суми [ˈsumɪ]) is a city in north-eastern Ukraine, and the capital of Sumy Oblast (region). Population: 250 000.
The city of Sumy is located on the banks of the Psel River, at its confluence with the Sumka River. There are several versions of the origin of the name of Sumy. According to the first version, the name of the city comes from the name of the rivers it was founded on (the Sumka and the Suma).
According to another version, Sumy received its name after the 3 “bags” (“suma” means “bag”) with gold coins found on the site of construction. Today, these “bags” are reflected on the coat of arms of Sumy.
The architectural appearance of the central historical part of Sumy was formed in the period from the end of the 18th to the beginning of the 20th centuries. Today, Sumy is famous for its wonderful pedestrian areas with historical buildings, cathedrals, and monuments.
The City Day of Sumy is celebrated on the first Saturday of September in memory of the fact that the city was liberated during the Second World War on September 2, 1943.
The project is financed by the TURKISH NATIONAL AGENCY under the EUROPEAN SOLIDARITY CORPS programme.