Renewable Sources For Electricity
The Need For Renewable Sources Of Electricity
Picture of a polluted HK
Castle Peak Power Station
Advantages Of Hydropower
- Hydropower fuel is water, so it's a clean fuel source. Hydropower doesn't pollute the air like power plants that burn fossil fuels, such as coal or natural gas. Its an environmentally friendly way to create electricity.
- Hydropower is an environmentally friendly source for electricity.
Disadvantages Of Hydropower
- Hydropower plants can be impacted because of droughts, so when water is not available hydropower plants does not have an energy source to produce electricity.
- Fish can be impacted when they try to migrate up stream and down stream as there is a big dam in there way
- Can impact local environment when building the dam, life around the area loose there natural habitats due to the building of the Hydropower plants.
Impacts because of Hydropower
- Fish cannot migrate up stream and down stream
- Wild life around hydropower plants loose there natural habitats due to building the dam
- Can cause harm to plants and animals around on in the river and on land.
Of 2 , E. 1., & U. (n.d.). Advantages And Disadvantages of Hydropower [Abstract]. Wind and Hydropower Technologies Program Advantages and Disadvantages of Hydropower. Retrieved March 13, 2016, from http://www.envirothonpa.org/documents/19bHydropowerAdvantagesandDisadvantages.pdf
Helps fish migrate down stream. Picture by https://www.internationalrivers.org/resources/do-not-pass-go-the-failed-promise-of-fish-ladders-7889
Three Gorges Dam
Currently the biggest hydropower plant located in China. Picture by http://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-enormous-three-gorges-dam-is-turning-out-to-be-a-huge-mistake-2012-4
How It Works
Diagram of how Hydropower works. Diagram by http://corporate.vattenfall.com/about-energy/renewable-energy-sources/hydro-power/how-it-works/