20 Fun Facts of Ernest Hemingway
- Ernest was born in Oak Park, Illinois.
- He wrote a play called "The Fifth Column" which took place during the Spanish Civil War.
- He was awarded a bronze star in the army for his bravery under fire.
- His brother, sister, and his father committed suicide.
- Ernest and his 4th wife are buried in Idaho.
- His first book was published in 1924 and was called "In Our Time."
- Ernest received the Nobel Prize in 1954.
- Hemingway survived 2 plane crashes.
- His birthday is July 21, 1899.
- Hemingway moved to Canada in 1920.
- Hemingway's face was on a postage stamp in 1989.
- Ernest wrote over 8,000 letters in his lifetime.
- He enjoyed bug game hunting.
- He was a major alcoholic.
- Hemingway was very popular and athletic in High School.
- His nickname was "Papa."
- His writing career started in High School where he wrote for the school newspaper.
- He is criticized for his writing because many people believe kit is too short and basic.
- He committed suicide on his birthday.
- His novel "The Old Man and the Sea" won the Pulitzer Prize in 1953.
Ernest Hemingway Documentary