December 11, 2015 (Volume 12)
*IN THIS ISSUE*
- Do you have nominations for Boys State??
- Local Career Center open houses
- Summer experience deadlines approaching quickly!
- MAKE IT! contest
- MDHE monthly reminders (Nov./Dec.)
- Upcoming college Rep visits
- College fairs/events throughout the Metro & beyond
Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Financial Aid Night @ LSN - Jan. 14, 2016
- The Scholarship "MASTER" (+ NEW Tips & Tricks for using it)
- Scholarships with quickly approaching deadlines & those that are new to the "MASTER"
The American Legion Boys State of Missouri (aka: "Boys State")
LSN has been asked to nominate just six young men who fit this "leadership" potential. I am primarily reaching out to teachers, staff, student peers, etc. who may have a young man in mind to send me their informal nomination; collectively I'm sure we can come up with an amazing selection of leaders! Please email me: Jessica.Keltner@lsr7.net, and be sure to include: the student's name, your relation to them, and any stand-out facts/stories that you would consider sharing, initially.
Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Local Career Center Open Houses
RSVP below for one of the Summit Technology Academy Open House Nights @ Attention Sophomores & Juniors!
The time is nearing to begin thinking about course selection for the 2016-2017 school year. As a junior or senior at LSN, students have the opportunity to apply to one of our three surrounding career centers: Summit Technology Academy, Herndon Career Center, and Cass Career Center.
Summit Technology Academy (STA) in Lee’s Summit and Herndon Career Center in Raytown will be holding open houses in November, January, and February. Students interested in any STA or Herndon programs and their parents/guardians are encouraged to attend these events. RSVP is not required, but encouraged for the STA Open Houses; http://sta.lsr7.org/rsvp/.
Summit Technology Academy Open Houses:
Come check out the amazing opportunities @ Summit Tech Academy during any of the STA Open House Nights: Wed., November 18, 2015, Thurs., January 14, 2016, OR Tues., February 2, 2016. Sessions run as follows:
- 6:00-6:30 PM "Early Planners" session for Middle School Students and their parents
- 6:30-8:00 PM STA Classroom Open House (come-and-go style)
- 6:30-7:00 PM & 7:00-7:30 PM Missouri Innovation Campus (MIC) Program Presentation**
**At each of these open house events, current sophomores and their parents will also have the opportunity to learn more about the Missouri Innovation Campus. Students that fit the MIC profile...Algebra I in 8th grade, interest in STEM careers, great attendance, and the desire and determination to take college courses while in HS and complete at 3-year, paid internship with a great corporate partner...should attend these informational sessions.
Herndon Career Center Open House:
- Wed., January 20, 2016 from 5:00-7:00 PM
- Parents/students are not required to RSVP for the event. They can come and go as they like. Students are encouraged to tour the program(s) that most interest them.
Cass Career Center:Students interested in any Cass Career Center programs should visit with their counselor. There will be opportunities to tour Cass Career Center in the spring.
Summer Experience Deadlines Approaching Quickly!
*Contest* MAKE IT!
- Deadline: Mar. 25, 2016
- Prizes include (2) HD Digital Camcorders + more
- Music Video, Narrative, Documentary, Animation
- 1-10 mins. in length
- Original Material of from the Public Domain
- You may submit more than one project
Columbia College Scholarship Day
Monday, Jan. 4th, 8am
1001 Rogers Street
To RSVP for Jan. 4th - Click here
To RSVP for Jan. 16th - Click here
You would be competing for
Columbia College Scholarship (5) = full tuition, room and board
Presidential Scholarship (5) = full tuition
See what other scholarships are available with the Scholarship Finder.
Who is eligible to participate?
· Incoming Freshman (HS Senior)
· Minimum 26 ACT (1170 SAT) and 3.6 GPA
If you are interested in attending Scholarship Day, you must be admitted and submit all application materials two weeks prior to the day you compete. This includes:
- Completed application for admission with $35 fee (fee waived if you applied prior to January 1st)
- High school transcript
- Any college transcripts (this includes dual credit)
- ACT or SAT scores
- Resume of high school, community and leadership activities
- Two letters of recommendation
Auditions will be held at the end of scholarship day for students interested in competing for music talent award scholarships. If you are interested in auditioning, please indicate interest on the RSVP form and we will schedule an audition time for you.
Future Teacher & International Advocacy Day @ Avila University
Thursday, Feb. 18th, 9am-2pm
11901 Wornall Road
Kansas City, MO
Financial Aid Night @ LSN
Thursday, Jan. 14th, 6:30-8pm
FAFSA Frenzy 2016
Sunday, Feb. 28th, 2-4pm
850 Northwest Chipman Road
Lee's Summit, MO
Join us to get FREE assistance completing your FAFSA!
The Scholarship MASTER
I challenge you to take some time over the December break to complete as many scholarship applications as possible. Statistics show that, on average, you will earn one scholarship out of every 10 applications. Ready....and.... GO!
Mizzou Alumni Scholars Program
- Deadline: Dec. 15, 2015
- (HS Senior) Incoming [MU] Freshman who has been accepted to the University of Missouri
- Rank in the upper 20% of 2016 class
*JUST IN* Missouri Society of CPA's Scholarship
- Deadline: Feb. 26, 2016
- HS Senior, MO resident (or child of an MSCPA member)
- Majoring in Accounting at a Missouri higher education institution
- Must be an MSCPA member (join here: http://www.mocpa.org/students/student-membership/hs-app)
- Complete application (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/23RKBCY)
- Recommended by teacher or administrator (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2FRLVJR)
(Test Date / Registration Date / Late Registration Date ($25 late fee)
February 6 / January 8 / January 9-15
April 9 / March 4 / March 5-18
June 11 / May 6 / May 7-20
See below for LSN Prep Course Info!
YOUR LSN GUIDANCE TEAM
Rebecca Seitz (A-D) 986-3036 firstname.lastname@example.org
Robin Gray (E-La) 986-3020 email@example.com
Laura Hillbrand (Le-R) 986-3018 firstname.lastname@example.org
Shelley McCain (S-Z) 986-3021 email@example.com
Tina Faulker (Social Worker) 986-3003 firstname.lastname@example.org
Karla Barnhill (Registrar) 986-3017 email@example.com
Valerie Meuschke (Admin. Asst.) 986-3003 firstname.lastname@example.org
J. Keltner (College & Scholarship Coor.) 986-3051 email@example.com
Harris Deutsch (ReDiscover) 986-3087 firstname.lastname@example.org