NACER Community Newsletter
Welcome to the July edition of the NACER newsletter!
2020–21 School Year to Begin with Virtual Instruction
The following are all drive-through food distributions, please allow space in your vehicle for food to be loaded.
Weekly meal packs for children 18 and younger in our area
Bring student ID cards, report cards or a letter from the school if children are not present and birth certificates for children not school age yet
Tuesday, July 21, 9:00am - North Austin YMCA, 1000 W Rundberg Ln., 78758
Wednesday, July 22, 9:00am - Gus Garcia Recreation Center, 1201 E Rundberg Ln, 78753
July 20 - Dobie Middle School, 1200 E. Rundberg Ln, 78753
July 27 - Navarro Early College High School, 1111 Fairfield Dr, 78758
Saturday, July 25, 8:00am-11:00am - Nelson Field (next to Northeast ECHS) - 7105 Berkman Ave, 78752
FREE MONEY through P-EBT!!!!! - Only available through July 31, 2020
- Families enrolled in SNAP have already received their P-EBT benefits but those who do NOT receive SNAP benefits still need to apply
- If your family is not enrolled in SNAP, you will need to fill out a P-EBT application online to receive a P-EBT CARD by mail with the funds for each child in your family who is enrolled in school.
- Non-citizens ARE eligible for P-EBT and receiving P-EBT benefits will NOT hurt their immigration status. Social Security Numbers are NOT required. P-EBT is not counted under public charge.
- Click on the flyer to access the application or call the P-EBT Hotline at the Central Texas Food Bank at 833-613-6220.
The Census is a human count and everyone should participate, regardless of citizenship status. Your responses are protected by law. Your answers can NOT be used against you or your family. Complete the census online at 2020census.gov or for assistance in Spanish call 844-468-2020 to complete it over the phone.
- information about the eviction process and your rights as a tenant
- who to contact for help advocating with your landlord
Travis County CARES rent and utility assistance
Communities in Schools
While students are not physically in school, CIS remains dedicated to their well-being and continued learning. The CIS team is committed to doing everything in its power to support students and families and connect them to needed resources and services. During school closures, the CIS team is providing the following supports:
- Virtual case management with students to provide connection, emotional support and needs assessment.
- Providing referrals to available community resources, and helping families navigate the various basic needs, academic, health and other community systems of support available to them.
- Providing emergency financial assistance for families impacted by COVID-19.
What Do Parents Do With Devices If Students Will Not Be Attending Summer School?
For Seniors: If the student’s campus has a system for collecting Chromebooks, families can use that. Seniors may also bring Chromebooks to one of the AISD Computer Curbside locations.
- For students in grades 3-11, including those advancing to middle or high school: Students in these grades will keep their devices.
- Students who are withdrawing must drop off their Austin ISD devices to one of the AISD Computer Curbside locations at:
Austin ISD is retrofitting its buses with WiFi capabilities up to a distance of 200 feet. Austin ISD students who live at the locations below can access free WiFi on their school computers, 8am-2pm.
Our vertical team AVID Specialist, Anita Nuñez, and the AISD AVID team have developed and compiled resources for teachers to use for online learning. They are also hosting weekly chats with teachers to share ideas and stories. Barrington Elementary hosted a virtual learning professional development session for their teachers to practice collaborative strategies online!
Before they can access BLEND, parents & caretakers will need to set up a Parent Cloud Account. These resources are designed to support parents with this process. If a parent or guardian needs support with their account setup, they should call the Parent Help Desk at 512-414-9187
Start at the AISD Portal: https://portal.austinisd.org/
These printable documents provide parents/guardians with key information about BLEND.
NACER Resource Board
- Austin ISD Crisis Support Fund
- Telehealth Options for Families
- Board Resolution - Emergency COVID-19 March 13, 2020
The City of Austin
- City of Austin COVID-19 FAQ: http://www.austintexas.gov/COVID19
- Housing Resources: http://www.austintexas.gov/housing-resources
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- CDC on COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- CDC on COVID-19 in Texas: https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/
- CDC’s Traveler’s Health Notices: wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel
- CDC Confirmed Cases of COVID-19: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html
Mental Health / Crisis (Integral Care)
- If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis, Integral Care has a 24/7 Crisis Helpline at 512-472-HELP (4357). You can also Text TX to 741741 to connect to Crisis Text Line. Crisis Text Line provides free, 24/7 crisis support via text. Integral Care is also working with NAMI Central Texas to make sure the community has resources available during this challenging time. They will be posting helpful tools on their website this weekend, including tips and tools for managing stress and how to talk to your children about this uncertain time.
- Spectrum is offering free Wi-Fi and broadband access up to 100 MBPS to any household with K-12 and/or college students that doesn’t already have Spectrum. Installation fees will be waived for these households, and anyone wishing to enroll will need to call 1-844-488-8395 or visit https://www.spectrum.com/browse/content/spectrum-internet-assist.
- Comcast is expanding a service they already offer for low-income families called Internet Essentials. The service, which is normally $9.95 a month, will be free for new customers for 60 days and is 25 MBPS. People hoping to sign up for the services can call 1-855-846-8376 for English and 1-855-765-6995 for Spanish.
TA Brown Elementary
Walnut Creek Elementary
Dobie Middle School
Webb Middle School