Squalicum High School
Storm Forecast for June 7 - 11
from principal miguel perez
It is June 4th!!! We are in the homestretch and that means there is a mix of emotions this time of year.
- Seniors, we have one week left with you -😥 Let’s finish strong and enjoy our time together next week. I am really excited for June 12th!
- Grades, 9, 10 and 11- we have two more weeks to showcase your awesomeness! Please reach out to your trusted staff members for assistance. We are here to help.
- Keep up the great work on those AP exams!
We have two weeks left to an interesting school year. I consider ourselves extremely fortunate to be wrap up this year with opportunities to be in person for school and graduation. This school year has been an excellent example of what we are capable of accomplishing together. Thank you all for climbing this mountain with us!
We have a lot happening in a short amount of time. We hope these dates may help with your planning. Please let us know if you have questions.
**NOTE- We are excited to announce that this year’s yearbooks are at no cost to students and families!!!!
- Monday, June 7th- Senior Clearance Begins
- Monday June 7th- Seniors only- Yearbook distribution with Senior Clearance Packet
- Tuesday, June 8th – AP Human Geo Test
- Wednesday, June 9th- AP Calc AB Test
- Wednesday, June 9th- AP Physics 1 Test
- Thursday, June 10th- Senior Class ‘A Night at the Movies’- Mt. Baker Theater
- Thursday, June 10th- AP Chemistry Test
- Thursday, June 10th- AP Stats Test
- Friday June 11th- AP Env. Science Test
- Friday, June 11 – all work/assignments due for B-day cycle (periods 5-8) except final activities
- Friday, June 11- Senior check out
- Friday, June 11- Senior graduation rehearsal
- Friday, June 11- Yearbook inserts distributed to Seniors only.
- Friday, June 11- Senior Celebration
- Saturday, June 12- GRADUATION
- Monday, June 14- Yearbook distribution grades 9-11
- Tuesday, June 15 – Finals periods 5 & 7
- Wednesday, June 16 – Finals periods 6 & 8
- Thursday, June 17 – Laptop Collection
- Friday, June 18 – Laptop Collection
- Friday, June 18th- LAST DAY OF SCHOOL- 12:30 pm.
- Friday, June 18th- Last chance for yearbook grades 9-11.
- Friday, June 25th- Grades available/posted to Skyward (after 4 pm)
- 1st week of July- paper copy of report card arrives in the mail.
Important Senior Survey
A Message from the Department of Teaching and Learning
Dear 2021 seniors and families,
Each spring, we survey our outgoing seniors to look back at their high school experiences and look forward at plans for the future. We use the survey data to help us better understand what works well for our high school students and what we could do better.
We realize that the seniors of the class of 2021 have experienced an incredibly unusual junior spring and senior year, and we are so proud of all of you for persevering. Seniors, please take a few minutes before June 10 and complete our survey.
The survey is confidential and the results will remain anonymous.
Thank you, class of 2021! We are thinking of you and cheering you on!
Esta es información sobre la educación de su hijo/a. Solicite traducción o interpretación gratis si necesita al 360-676-6456
Reminders about safety protocols and attendance
Teachers have three methods of reporting attendance. A student can be marked present, present-remote, or absent.
If your child is attending school in person, they will be marked present. When students report to school, they are to go directly to their advisory class and check in. Then, they attend each of their classes throughout the day. We want to remind everyone that we do not have the ability to allow students to congregate outside of class. Students who are on-campus are expected to be in class.
If your child is attending remotely, they should be signing into all their classes from home.
Students who are unable to attend to live instruction on any day are invited to attend their classes remotely from home so they will not be marked absent.
Students who need to leave campus for any reason are reminded to check out with our attendance office. Once you arrive on-campus, you are expected to attend your classes on-campus.
We are continuing to review our safety protocols with all students and staff. As a reminder, masks are to be worn from the time a student arrives on campus (or gets on the bus) until they are off campus. This includes all sporting events (for all individuals attending).
We ask that all students entering campus use hand-sanitizer and request regular hand-washing between classes.
We have directional signs in the hallways and stairs and all individuals on campus are requested to honor those signs in order to promote effective social distancing.
Anyone with symptoms is asked to remain in remote learning. If you have any questions, please reach out to the administrative team.
End of Year Information
End of Year Activities (device/texts/materials returned and collected)
Textbooks/supplies/class materials returned
- Outstanding texts and materials (Seniors dig out those textbooks from 9th grade! 😊
- Please feel free to begin turning those in now to the library.
- Textbooks and materials from A Day (period 1-4) can be dropped texts off at the Library any time.
- B Day (periods 5-8) cycle texts/materials: June 7th – June 18th
Device Collection (laptop, power cord, stylus, carrying case)
Return to Library or STORM teacher when you no longer need it for class.
End of the B-day cycle (periods 5-8)
- Friday, June 11- All work turned for B-day cycle.
- Tuesday, June 15 B-day Finals (recommendation periods 5 and 7)
- Wednesday, June 16 B-day Finals (recommendation periods 6 and 8)
- June 17th and 18th Wrap up for all B block
UPDATES FOR SENIORS
Watch this space for critical information over the next few weeks.
B-DAY FINALS FOR SENIORS
- Monday, June 7 – Seniors may turn in device if they don’t need it for classes
- Tuesday, June 8 – Seniors may turn in device if they don’t need it for classes
- Wednesday, June 9 – Senior Finals (recommendation periods 5 and 7)
- Thursday, June 10 – Senior Finals (recommendation periods 6 and 8)
- Friday, June 11 – Seniors are at graduation rehearsal all day and…
- 9:00 rehearsal
- Outdoor PTSA event at 10:00 – 11:00 AM
- Return devices and get signatures
- Bus for those who need it at 12:30
- Students testing in Adv. Placement. can leave their device at the end of the test.
- Friday June 11th - Last day for Seniors
- Saturday June 12th at 10 am- Ceremony
- Civic Field
- More information to plan and figure out- stay tuned for updates.
LAPTOPS AND OTHER SCHOOL ITEMS
Please return your laptops to your STORM teacher June 7-11 as soon as you are finished with your courses.
Please return all missing/overdue items (books, laptops, etc.) to avoid fines and to release your final transcript.
GRADUATION REHEARSAL JUNE 11 AT 9:00 am (TENTATIVE)
GRADUATION IS JUNE 12 AT 10:00
Last day of school for Seniors is Friday, June 11. This day will include graduation rehearsal tentatively scheduled for 9:00.
In-person graduation at Civic Field on Saturday, June 12 at 10:00 am (tentative)
Tickets will be available and the event will be live-streamed for those unable to attend in person. (It will also be recorded and will be available afterward.) More information to come.
Note: Plans may be adjusted if our phase designation or other guidance changes.
CAPS AND GOWNS
Come to the main office to pick up your cap and gown NOW. (or to get help if you haven't ordered)
Change to AP Test Fees
Dear SQHS Students and Parents/Guardians,
We are excited that so many SQHS students have taken the challenge of taking an AP class. We have over 500 students registered for over 700 AP for 2020-2021. And great news, we are able to pay for ½ of the AP costs for every student again this year! NEW UPDATE: We also have received a grant this year to reduce the cost even more!
If your student is taking an Advanced Placement (AP) course, please read below:
- Full payment fee = $32 per exam
- Qualify to receive free/reduced lunch? If so, your fee = $0 per exam
- Cancellation/Unused exam fee, normally $40, waived ($0) for 2021
To pay for AP tests for the 2020-21 year:
Please click on the link https://wa-bellingham.intouchreceipting.com/ choose “Items At Student’s School” then click on AP Testing fees, click Buy next to the AP test you will be taking and click on checkout (upper right hand corner) and pay.
You can also mail a check made out to SQHS and send to SQHS Attn: Shawn Flaherty 3773 E McLeod Rd, Bellingham WA 98226 (please indicate which AP tests you wish to purchase in the memo)
If you have any questions about payments please contact Shawn.Flaherty@Bellinghamschools.org
All exams are scheduled for May and June. Teachers have communicated dates/times with the students. Students must tell their teacher if they choose to do their AP exam remotely at-home or on-site at school. Spanish, French, German, Physics 2 and Music Theory exams will be on-site only.
Katie Jones, SQHS AP Administrator
Leanna Bailey, SQHS AP Coordinator
ADVANCED PLACEMENT TEST SCHEDULE
Reminder: Register now for fall 2021
Registration for fall 2021 is still open for kindergarten and all grades. Families can register students via this webpage. Registering now helps us hire staff, balance our classes, connect with families and ready our schools to welcome our students.
Registration is for students new to our district or who want to return after transferring to a school or program outside our district. You do not need to register current students; we automatically re-enroll them.
A special note about kindergarten: All children who will be 5 before Sept. 1, 2021 can be registered for kindergarten. We plan to start in-person learning at every school this fall with strong safety protocols in place.
To find out more about attendance areas, registration and childhood immunization schedules, please visit bellinghamschools.org/kindergarten or contact our elementary schools directly. Feel free to let a friend or neighbor with a future kindergartner know the registration window is open and ready for them!
The HUB = student support
Click here to schedule an appointment with a tutor or drop in for general academic support.
Heidi Covington- Student Success Coordinator Heidi.email@example.com
Erin Neisinger- Class GEAR UP Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
Cam Retherford- GEAR UP advocate email@example.com
Update from the Library
LINKS FOR COLLEGE/CAREER INFORMATION
Weekly Covid Updates
Please remember to do your part. Please remember to wear your mask, physically distance, wash your hands frequently, and stay home if you are sick. Please visit our site for more information.
Links to other supports
SQHS Counselors: https://squalicum.bellinghamschools.org/counseling/
District Help technicians: firstname.lastname@example.org
Resouces (meals, childcare, mental health and more) : https://bellinghamschools.org/resources/