Oregon trail journal

Entry #1

We set out on april 25th 1854. Everyone was really happy about the fact that we were going to Oregon, but we were also rather skeptical. But in the end the excitement died out the skepticism, and by the time that e set off we were all singing and cheering. Mostly thanks to the kids, who are very young and didn't really understand the dangers we were about to face. We had another 5 wagons with us and they were cool fellas. We also had to elect a wagon train leader, which we all voted.

Our first major challenge was the Missouri river crossing. We were anticipating it, and wishing it could wait. But when we finally saw the waters we were relived. There was a native with a ferry. We paid him 25 bucks and he got our wagon safely across. A few miles from that point, we saw a few animals and i decided to go for a hunt. Unfortunately, my years as a blacksmith didn't treat my aiming very well, nevertheless, I got 15 pounds of meat. We came across a indian and our wagon train took a gamble, we all won 25 dollars from the tribe chief.

Entry #2

After the gamble with the chief we spent a while in a peaceful way without encountering anything really. But then we came across a second indian tribe, and the tribe's chief challenged our wagon train leader for something. Our leader won the challenge and we were all rewarded with a few ammo boxes, which was fortunate because I was running out of ammo. After that we came across another water crossing, with another native with a ferry. But due to the increased deepness in water compared to the last crossing, he was charging more money. Nonetheless I paid him the 45 dollars fee and we crossed safely. Some people in our wagon train decided to ford the river, but fortunately, they crossed safely too.

Following on, we came across another patch of ground with animals for hunting. Most of us decided to hunt, I did but this time, failed and didn't get any meat. While someone on our wagon train got 50 pounds of buffalo. I congratulated him on the good shot, and he even offered me some of the meat due to my large family, I thanked him but turned down the offer. After that we came to a dilemma. The trail split into 2. The first option was shorter, but the natives there were more dangerous. The second option was longer, but safer. We decided to go the shorter, more dangerous way.

Entry #3

As the trail we picked was the dangerous way, it wasn't long before some native americans demanded us to turn back, and go another way. We had a discussion about the dilemma and in the end we decided to just keep going and ignore the natives. That was a great decision, because we had no further problems with those native americans. Even though the natives left us alone our family had our first major problem. My 4 year old son fell from our wagon and got run over by one of the wheels. We had to stop and tend to his injures. He had broken his leg, and hurt his head on the fall. My wife was anxious and very tense. There was a good chance that he was never going to walk again. But fortunately for us, one of the members on the wagon train knew how to deal with this type of injury, and in a few weeks he was able to walk again.

Following the incident with my son's leg we had a relatively peaceful time. But then we came across another dilemma. We had to cross a desert. We made a count of how many barrels of water he had left and figure that we could make it across. Even though it was a tough, harsh, difficult time and we were tired more often then not, we made it across.

After the desert we were faced with a second trail splitting. But this time it was split into three parts. Again the shortest way was the most dangerous, we heard from travelers that wagons on that trail rarely made it. The longest way was again the safest and the middle one had a few hostile natives and was the second fastest. After a long debate, we decided to go again, through the dangerous way. A trail called Massacre Canyon.

Entry #4

The Massacre Canyon Trail proved to be quite a challenge, we encountered numerous hostile natives and had a few problems. One of the problems was not a problem but the worst day in my entire life. We had a problem with cholera and a few people in our wagon train caught it. My 10 year old daughter included. We knew that Cholera on the Oregon trial was almost certain death, so when my little girl started showing the clear symptoms we were all devastated. We knew that we could treat it, so we did our best to do so. But we knew, deep down that she was very likely to die. Every day she grew weaker, and we, grew sadder. We tried to keep her spirits up with games and jokes, but that didn't work, because she had to either throw up or poo more often then not. When she finally perished we buried her and then we moved along, sadly.

Our destination was now close, but winter was now here and we were faced with our last dilemma. We heard from travelers that the passage leading to Oregon itself, might be covered with snow. If it was we were going to be trapped there with no way out. If it wasn't we could make it into Oregon. So the question was, should we head straight for the passage and hope for the best, send scouts ahead to check, or double back to a homestead we left a few weeks ago and be safe for certain. The only downside of going back was that if the passage was intact open, we could lose all the good land. After all the members in our wagon train stated their opinion, we decided to head straight for the passage. When we got there, under heavy snow, we managed to pull through and cross the passage without anybody getting hurt. Which is almost a miracle. We then made it into Oregon. And with that I concluded my experiences on the Oregon trail.