CLX Buzz 1/30/20
The Claxton Elementary Family Newsletter
What's the Buzz?
- Coming Soon at Claxton...
- High Five to Our Volunteers! THANK YOU!
- After School Arts Classes -- Sign Up Ends Sunday
- Book Fair Feb 10-14
- Info and RSVP for Valentine's Day Lunch and Shop!
- 3rd-5th Grade Valentine's Dance Info + Sign Up to Donate or Volunteer!
- Please Help with Food & Drink Donations for the Jubeelee Celebration!
- 3rd-5th Grade--Girls on the Run Registration Coming Soon!
- ACS Magnet School Enrollment
Volunteering at Claxton
- CLX on Social Media
- Quick Links
Coming Soon at Claxton...
Thursday Flyers (Check your Claxton folders!) - Book Fair, Valentine's Lunch, and Jubeelee Info
Registration Ends for Spring After School Arts (ASA) - Sun 2/2 @ 8pm
PTO Meeting - Tues, Feb 4 (6-7pm) in Media Center
Spring ASA Begins - Week of Feb 10-13
Book Fair - Feb 10-14
3rd-5th Grade School Dance - Thurs, Feb 13 (3-4pm)
NO SCHOOL - Feb 20-21 (Parent/Teacher Conferences)
Classroom Group + Spring Pictures - Tues, Feb 25
Student Career Day - Wed, Mar 11
Early Release - Fri, Mar 13 @ 12pm
Jubeelee Celebration + Fundraiser (formerly CLX Auction) - Sat, Mar 14
Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast - Thurs, Apr 23
Thank You Volunteers!
January has been a big month at Claxton and we've had incredible support from our Claxton families! Thank you for everything you do. A special high five to our volunteers for our 5th Grade MLK Day of Service, our Staff Appreciation Luncheon hosted by 2nd/3rd grade families, and our Open House and also to our regular classroom volunteers! Your support makes a huge difference every day!
Final Call to Sign Up for After School Arts!
Our spring enrichment classes begin the week of Feb 10-13. Registration is open online at https://claxtonafterschool.jumbula.com until 8:00 pm this Sun, Feb 2. We encourage all students to participate, regardless of ability to pay. If needed, a scholarship can be requested during online registration. Call 828-419-0327 or email claxtonASA@gmail.com with questions or help with registration.
Click here for class info in English and Spanish:
3rd-5th Grade Valentine's Dance Info + Sign Up to Donate or Volunteer!
Please Help with Jubeelee Food & Drink Donations!
Each year local restaurants and businesses donate food and drinks that can be served at the Jubeelee. It is a special part of the event to have an abundant buffet of delicious foods and a variety of drinks representing some of the best restaurants in town. It is a great opportunity for local restaurants to be seen by our friend-and-family network of 650 Claxton and Asheville Primary families and anticipated 250 Jubeelee attendees (and all donations are tax deductible).
If you are a restaurant owner and would like to donate food or drinks to be served at the event, please contact Amy Aiken at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you know a restaurant owner and are willing to ask that owner for a donation, please do so and contact Amy Aiken with the details.
Thanks for your help in making this event a success!
Girls on the Run Coming to Claxton This Spring!
Magnet School Enrollment for 2020-2021
Chaperoning and Other Volunteering at Claxton
1) Whether you're a new or returning Claxton volunteer, an online background check is needed each year to volunteer in any capacity with students at school or as a supervising chaperone on field trips. It takes about 5 minutes to start your background check but can sometimes take 2-3 weeks for checks to be approved. You cannot volunteer until your background check has been approved, so jump over to this link to get yours started. https://bib.com/SecureVolunteer/Asheville-City-Schools/
2) Also, all volunteers need to attend a brief (~30min) Level II volunteer training with Asheville City Schools before you can volunteer at Claxton. The training is a one-time requirement (not needed each year) and this year's schedule is set so you can go ahead and check the calendar. Please see below for the next training sessions or check this year's full calendar HERE. Trainings take place in the Boardroom at Asheville City Schools' Central Office at 85 Mountain Street unless otherwise noted. No registration is required to attend the training.
Wednesday, February 12, 2020, at 12:00 PM
Wednesday, February 12, 2020, at 6:00 PM
Wednesday, March 11, 2020, at 12:00 PM
Wednesday, April 22, 2020, at 12:00 PM
Wednesday, May 6, 2020, at 12:00 PM
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or are interested in exploring volunteer opportunities at Claxton!