This Week @ PS 88Q
November 29, 2021
A Message From Mrs. O'Shaughnessy
Happy Thanksgiving! I hope the past four days have been a wonderful time to slow down, spend time with family and reflect on the changes since last Thanksgiving. We all recalled how all NYC Public Schools were closed last November. I still can't believe most days how much has transpired over the last three school years, but I continue to be proud of how PS 88Q has navigated these unforeseen events.
This year we have a lot to be thankful for! All of our students and staff are under one roof, together. And what a wonderful week it was. As a staff, we celebrated with a Friendsgiving Breakfast, a STEAM inspired parade with student created balloons, (thank you Ms. Williford) class celebrations, gratitude activities, thank you letter writing, and of course, reflections. I am grateful for all of the PS 88Q community each and every day.
As we head into the month of December this week (how did that happen!) here are a few reminders:
- Spirit Week Kicks off Monday-Friday
- Picture Retake Day is Tuesday, November 30
- Report cards will be released Thursday December 2. Report cards will be released on your NYCSA https://www.schoolsaccount.nyc/ and teachhub. Please see below for the Grading Policy as well as how to access
- Our school has been designated as a pop up vaccine clinic for second doses of the Covid 19 vaccine. Please see family letter and information below. Please note that NO ONE WILL RECEIVE A VACCINE WITHOUT A PARENT. Any questions, always reach out to me.
- Our Student Council has created our first Spirit Week for the 2021-2022 School Year. This is the first of the many projects and initiatives they have for the school year. Looking forward to returning to this amazing Student Created Week!
Have a wonderful week!
How To Access Report Cards
- Report Cards will be send Thursday December 2, 2021. There are two ways to see your child's report card:
- Log into your NYC School Account https://www.schoolsaccount.nyc/
- Go to https://teachhub.schools.nyc/Home/Index
- Login using your child's @nycstudents.net account.
- Click on the “K-12” tab.
- Find and click on the “Student Documents” icon.
- Click on “Report Card.”
Our Student Council Begins Their Work
On November 17th, our Deputy Superintendent visited our school and met with our Student Council. All I can say is wow! They were amazing. They spoke about what they love about PS 88Q and they spoke about what they would like to improve. Their ideas, their motivation, their genuine passion was palpable. They spoke about creating partnerships with current students and new students, for social supports as well as translation. They spoke about the need for more brain breaks, more project based learning, and more student voice. Their first project was to connect with the students and create our first Spirit Week for the school year. Their initiatives will get more student centered and focused on what the students need and want. Stay tuned.
Attention Kindergarten Families
Dear PS 88Q Families,
Tuesday is the last day to opt out of the NYC Kids Rise program. If you want to be enrolled, there is nothing to do. For more information, click below.
You’re leaving nyckidsrise.org. You are now leaving the NYC Kids RISE website (nyckidsrise.org) and entering a third-party website. The website you are entering is not endorsed, controlled, owned, or operated by the NYC Department of Education or the City of New York. nyckidsrise.org
You’re leaving nyckidsrise.org. You are now leaving the NYC Kids RISE website (nyckidsrise.org) and entering a third-party website. The website you are entering is not endorsed, controlled, owned, or operated by the NYC Department of Education or the City of New York.
Who is qualified for this program?
Kindergarten students who:
- begin kindergarten during the 2021-22 academic year, and
- are enrolled in a participating school.
In partnership with our nonprofit partner, NYC Kids RISE, this free program will provide incoming kindergarten students with NYC Scholarship Accounts including the first $100 deposit into each account, opportunities to earn additional rewards and access to Community Scholarship, as well as supporting financial education and college and career readiness activities. infohub.nyced.org
In partnership with our nonprofit partner, NYC Kids RISE, this free program will provide incoming kindergarten students with NYC Scholarship Accounts including the first $100 deposit into each account, opportunities to earn additional rewards and access to Community Scholarship, as well as supporting financial education and college and career readiness activities.
If you have any questions, please feel free to re
Second Dose Pop Up
Happy Hanukkah: November 28-December 6
PS 88Q FM-LY Season 2 Episode 7
Our amazing team has highlighted awareness for Bullying and Domestic Abuse. As a school community, we wore purple to raise awareness as well as viewed the latest episode of PS 88q FM-LY. Children discussed this topic in class. To follow our channel, subscribe to our Counseling Channel (link below)