By: Christie Pollard
1) Ernest Hemingway's mother was very stubborn and wanted Ernest to be a musician and forced him to play the cello. Ernest hated the cello.
2) His home is a museum.
3) Ernest suffered from depression and alcoholism. He received treatment in Ketchum, Idaho for high blood pressure and liver problems, and also Electroconvulsive Therapy (ETC) for depression and continued paranoia. He attempted suicide and took ETC treatments again. Then committed suicide.
4) Hemingway attempted to join the U.S. army so that he can fight in World War I. The Army rejected him because of poor eyesight, so he volunteered as a driver with the Red Cross Ambulance Corps.
5) He had a 6 toed cat.
6) Ernest started his career as a writer for the newspaper in Kansas City at the age of seventeen.
7) When he returned to the U.S. from the war, he became a reporter for Canadian and American newspapers and was soon sent back to Europe to cover events like the Greek Revolution.
8) Hemingway was a great sportsman, and liked to portray soldiers, hunters, bullfighters, etc.
9) He was good friends with Scott Fitzgerald, Ezra Pound, Pablo Picasso, and James Joyce.
10) Hemingway had 4 wives and 3 children.
11) He had had many injuries during adventures, even surviving multiple plane crashes.
12) Ernest was pictured on a 25 cent U.S. commemorative postage stamp in the Literary Arts series.
13) Hemingway once won a bet by saying he could write a short story in six words. He did and it was "For Sale: Baby Shoes. Never Worn."
14) He was a fan of deep sea fishing. He loved to fish for huge fish like sharks and marlins.
15) Ernest worked while standing up.
16) Hemingway used a machine gun to fish for sharks.
17) He had a huge drinking problem. He was said to drink three or four bottles of liquor a day, plus wine with dinner.
18) As a child, Hemingway's mother would often dress him up as a girl, forced him to have long hair, and call him Ernesta because his mother wanted a girl and was disappointed when she gave birth to
19) He often slept with a night light, haunted by the things he had seen in Italy.
20) Ernest bought the gun that he killed himself with at Abercrombie & Fitch, which at the time was a camping and firearms store.
Mini BIO - Ernest Hemingway