Weekly Penguin News
Park Village Elementary - A 2018 CA Distinguished School
06/08 to 06/09 - E-Waste Recycling
06/12 - 5th Grade Promotion | Lunch Area @ 9:30 am
06/13 - Last Day of School | Dismissal @ 12:30pm
06/13 - Ice Cream Social | Lunch Area @ 12:30 pm
Go to http://parkvillagefoundation.com/pves-calendar/ for additional calendar events
Go to https://app.peachjar.com/flyers/all/schools/52513 for PVES digital flyers
Thank You for Your Library Donations!
-Mrs. Fleming, Librarian
PV is a TreeRing Green Yearbook School!
5th Graders received their yearbooks today. If you purchased a yearbook before May 25, they will be delivered to classrooms on Monday morning. Distribution is at your teacher's discretion. Forget to purchase a yearbook? To order, go to https://tr5.treering.com/createAccount/101471725840797.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
E-Waste Recycling THIS WEEKEND, June 8-9
Clean up, declutter, and bring your e-waste and paper for shredding to the Park Village Elementary's ESS parking lot (7930 Park Village Rd.) Saturday and Sunday June 8 and 9, from 9AM to 3:30PM. (They will be setting up before 9:00, so you can probably drop off earlier if needed). If you have large projection TV's to recycle but need a way to move them, email Victor at email@example.com and we can arrange to pick it up. All proceeds go directly to the school. More details from the recycling company:
Items Accepted WITH Recycling FEE
- Paper Shredding $5/banker's box
- Microwaves ($5)
- Vacuums ($5)
- Small Fridges ($20)
- Printers ($2)
Items Accepted at No Charge
- TVs (CRT/LCD)
- Computer Monitors (CRT/LCD)
- Cell Phones & Accessories
- Network Equipment
- Medical Test Equipment
- Video Game Systems & Accessories
Items NOT Accepted
- Large Appliances
- Non-Hard Drive Media (Optical Disks, VHS Tapes, Floppies, Etc…)
- Wooden Speakers
- Workout Equipment
- Alkaline Batteries*
- Medical Waste
- Auto Fluids, Paint, Toxic/Hazardous Chemicals
*Note that household batteries will be collected even though their sign says they do not. Victor personally takes them to recycle.
Box Tops Contest Results
D.A.D.S. Group School Improvements
Last Saturday, the D.A.D.S. Group replaced the preschool/kindergarten umbrella and fixed the second grade classroom shades. Thank you to Principal Mosgrove, D.A.D.S. President Victor Chan, Ryan, Bill, Geoff, Jeremy, and Steve for coming out. You too can be a part of the D.A.D.S. Group School Improvement Team! Contact Victor at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Penguin Rock - A Huge Hit!
Don't let this year be the last year! We are looking for someone to coordinate Penguin Rock next year. This has been an annual event for many years, so you won't have to start from scratch - plus you will have the full support of the Foundation (this is not a fundraising event).
Please contact email@example.com for more info.
Thank You from PTA
Dear Park Village Families,
On behalf of the Park Village Parent Teacher Association (PTA), we wanted to take the time to congratulate everyone on a successful 2018-2019 school year! Thanks to the support of our PTA Membership in addition to Student, Teacher, and Family Participation, we were able to accomplish the following:
- Going Gold Campaign for Childhood Cancer Awareness - 3 year total of $8,698 raised for Rady Children’s Hospital
- Reflections Art Award Recipients: Award of Excellence- Sengupta Suryanshu Grade 1/Literature, Award of Merit- Mia Shaphir Grade 1/Choreography, Award of Merit- Sophia Kim Grade5/Visual Arts
- Adopt-A-Family Holiday Gift Drive - 10 Families received generous donations
- Family Engagement Gatherings: Family Music Night, St. Patrick's Day Potluck
- Multicultural Fair and Variety Show: 10 Countries Represented, Over 30 talented performances
- PTA Honorary Service Awards: Clara Garrison- Very Important Person- Reflections Art Program, Marianne Sy (and the Sy Family)- Honorary Service Award, D.A.D.S. Group- Golden Oak Award (The highest PTA Distinction Award)
Thank you to all the families who helped us live out the National PTA's mission to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children. Collaboration, commitment, diversity, respect and accountability are core values of the Parent Teacher Association and we appreciate everyone’s contribution! Have a safe and restful summer!
Rosabel Agbayani- PTA President
Mike Mosgrove- Principal
Claudia Asencio- PTA Treasurer
Angie Hoar- PTA Secretary
Thank You from PV Foundation
The PV Foundation thanks you for your support this year! The Foundation's purpose is to:
- Increase every student’s ability to achieve a superior, college-ready education
- Raise funds to build and maintain our academic-based programs and community-building events
- Provide our PUSD teaching staff with the tools they need to teach our children
- Sustain our program coordinators in Art, Music, Science, and Physical Education
- Inspire excellence and encourage camaraderie throughout our school
- Support our school events and programs to foster relationships with our families and community
Specifically, we provide funding for:
Science (Mrs Nellies' salary, lab materials)
Art (Mrs. Hirst's salary, art materials)
Music (Miss LaDow's salary)
Physical Education (Mrs. Mills' salary, PE equipment)
Technology (iPads, Chromebooks, mall printers, printer cartridges, etc)
Library (Follet & Guild subscriptions, new books, etc)
Curriculum (ALEKS Math program, LEXIA Reading program, Penguin PALS, teacher training, assemblies, field trip transportation, homework folders, etc)
Outdoor classroom/learning garden (fencing, planter boxes, composters, irrigation, etc)
Family Events (Meet, Greet, & Eat, DADS Movie Night, DADS Canyon Bike Ride, DADS Astronomy Night, Canyon Quest, DADS Pancake Breakfast & Car Show, Penguin Rock, etc)
And more! We pay for staff CPR training, back-to-school and appreciation lunches for staff/teachers, supplies for school improvements done by the DADS Group, and many other things that help to keep our school running smoothly.
This year’s operating budget was $162,484 for all of these programs. We achieve this goal by the following avenues:
Annual Fall Pledge Drive & Corporate Matching
Friends of the Foundation Sponsors
Family Game Night & Spring Online Auction
Disneyland, parking space, and spring basket raffles
Restaurant Nights, Spirit Wear, Yearbook, Book Fair, BoxTops, amazon.com
The PV Foundation is composed of Principal Mosgrove, two teacher advisors, and parent volunteers serving on the board. Our non-program, or administrative, expenses are only a small fraction our total operating budget. We do everything in-house, thus maximizing the reach of your dollars. With your participation, we are able to meet our fundraising goals. Any monies raised over our budget are used to enhance the education of our Penguins (ie, additional gifts to the library to update the collection, and additional weeks of music instruction with Miss LaDow). You make the difference in providing this enriched curriculum and experience at Park Village. THANK YOU!
2019-2020 PV Foundation and PTA Board Officers
We are pleased to announce the following new Board Officers:
Park Village Foundation Board 2019-2020
President - Allison McClay
Executive VP - Rachel Quinto
Secretary - Carol Ochoa
Treasurer - Kari Marshall
VP Fundraising & Events - Jim Buchmiller
VP Character Development & Recognition - Loralee Daines
Directors - Jenny Senior, Victor Chan, Jose Reyes, Monique Uyeda, Holly Rhubottom, Nikki Blackburn, Geraldine Lapid, Cami Hansen, Ashley Zahalan, Cheryl Sifferlan, Sandi Kerkhove, Melena Sands
Advisor - Darshana Patel
Teacher Advisors - Ally Ives, Ron Parks
Principal Advisor - Mike Mosgrove
Park Village PTA Executive Board Officers 2019-2020
President - Rachel Quinto
Treasurer - Jenny Senior
Secretary - Carol Ochoa
Historian - Sandi Kerkohove
Shop at Amazon and Earn Money for PV
Even though school is coming to end, our fundraising programs continue all summer long! Don’t forget to click our link to Amazon every time you make a purchase so our school can receive a cash-back percentage of your total order. Better yet, bookmark our Amazon link and use it as you buy those needed last minute items for family vacations, camp, or summer fun here at home. It’s a win-win! Plus, if you designate “Park Village Elementary Education Foundation” as the charity for AmazonSmile, you earn an additional 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible AmazonSmile purchases for PV Foundation. https://smile.amazon.com/?ie=UTF8&tag=wwwpveefcom-20
School Supply Kits for 2019-2020
Contact Allison at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Volunteer Opportunities for 2019 - 2020
Park Village prides itself on our programs and events. However, they are all run by parent volunteers, and we need your help! We have opportunities of all types and sizes. Even one hour can make a difference!
- D.A.D.S. Group - Dedicated and Determined Support. We’re dads of Park Village Elementary students who volunteer our time and resources. We complete projects around the school for the benefit of the students who attend here. We also host fun events like Movie Night, Canyon Bike Ride, Canyon Quest, and Pancake Breakfast & Car Show. We help out at Foundation Events like Family Game Night and Penguin Rock. Please contact us at email@example.com for more info.
- Penguin Weekly News Editor(s) - Help create (layout) the weekly newsletter in the Smore website, using articles that are submitted by various school chairs/coordinators. The website is super easy to use, simply cut & paste, drag & drop - no experience necessary! Multiple editors welcome. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Marquee Editor in Chief(s) - Update the marquee in the front of the school with our PVE news, and help keep our families informed! Contact Gigi in the office.
- Library - Help reshelve books. This task is constant and can happen any time of day. Perhaps you can help after morning drop-off or while waiting to pick up your child in the afternoon? You can make a difference in as little as 15-20 minutes. I just need folks to stop by regularly. Many hands make light work! No experience is required. If you’re interested, please email me at email@example.com, or stop by the library to chat.
- Recycling - Help sort and crush recycling. Second Wednesday of every month, 8-9 am, ESS Parking Lot. Even 15-30 minutes before school is a big help!. Contact Victor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Book Fair - Help students find books, keep displays neat, and work cash registers. Occurs in October and April. Keep an eye on the Penguin Weekly News for the signup.
- Vision & Hearing Screening - Distribute and collect Information Cards to students, assist students in lining up for vision/hearing screening, managing student flow/calling classrooms to notify teachers to come to location. Keep an eye on the Penguin Weekly News for the signup in the spring.
- Various fundraising events throughout the year - Keep an eye on the Weekly News and Room Parent emails for signups and more info.