Ms. Larrabee's 1st Grade Class
The Buzz This Week (1/11 - 1/15)
Writing: We've received our pen pal letters from our 3rd graders in Eudora! We'll spend the first part of the week writing back to these new friends. Later in the week we'll work on our informational writing pieces.
Reading: We're beginning a new unit in reading this week, poetry. This week we'll be introduced to poetry by reading a variety of poems and visualizing what we read.
Word Work: Our studies in vocabulary will be with the long vowel sounds "u"and "a" in words like lake and cube. The new sight words we'll be practicing include: bike, bed, feet, puppy, basket.
Social Studies: This will be our last week for our studies in Geography. This week we'll be making a map of our classroom and learning our cardinal directions with a scavenger hunt around the building!
Science: Later in the week we'll begin our next science unit, Patterns in the Sky. This week we'll define what a cycle is and what we notice about the sky.
Math: We've begun our new unit of Measuring and Place Value Strategies. The students are exploring how to measure a variety of lengths with cubes. This week we'll begin adding our measurements with tens and begin exploring addition strategies when adding with two digits.
"Buzz Worthy" Things to Look Out For...
- Scholastic Book Orders were sent home today for the month of January. You can order online or with the paper form. If you would like to order online my classroom code is: P8W3C. The due date for this order is Friday, January 22nd.
- Our class has received our own account for Raz-Kids and we will no longer be sharing an account with Mrs. Jansen. Your child will be coming home with a special note explaining how they can log in and use Raz-Kids at home tomorrow.
- January homework calendars were sent home today. I am still waiting for our January reading logs. I'll send them home as soon as I get them.
- Your child's grade card and a conference schedule note will be sent home on Wednesday, January 13th. Please contact me if your conference time does not work and I'll help find a time that works for your family.
- Registration for Trivia Night opens tomorrow, Tuesday, January 12th. I'll be forwarding flyers about Trivia Night via email as well.
- There is a Town Hall Meeting Tuesday, January 12th from 6:30 - 7:00. This meeting will be about our district's budget cuts and how it will impact Keysor. There will be a PTO meeting following the Town Hall meeting.
- Kindergarten registration will occur during parent-teacher conferences from 5:00 - 8:00 each evening conferences are held.
- Mr. Hayman is hosting a Chess Club, which starts this Thursday, January 14th before school. Contact Mr. Hayman or myself if your child would like to participate.
- Keysor is hosting a movie night on Friday, January 15th. Doors will open at 6:30 and the movie, Paddington Bear, starts at 7:00. It costs $5 per family.
- There is no school Monday, January 18th for Martin Luther King Jr. day.
Happy new Year!
We spent a lot of time last week reviewing our classroom expectations and routines. It paid off because we earned FOUR Pawfect Awards last week. Our first one was from coach Widamen, two were from our Teaching Assistants and one was from Mrs. Ems. We started the new year off on the right foot and I'm looking forward to learning and growing the rest of the year with your child!
I do not have pictures to share from last week. Apparently, it was hard for me to get back into my routine, sorry!