By : Zarius Urquhart
- The American Socialist Party was founded in 1901 at its peak in 1912.
- the party had 118,000 members the largest socialist newspaper the Appeal of Reason published in Girard Kansas, had a weekly circulation of 761,000 in the 1912.
- election Socialist presidential candidate Eugene Debs received 800,000 votes and Socialists captured 1,200 political offices including the mayors of 79 cities.
- Progressive-Era reformers had three main goals
- To strengthen democracy by giving local populations more control over the government.
- Toward this end progressive introduced referendums initiatives and recalls.
- To eliminate corruption particularly at the municipal level. They thus created institutions to monitor city governments.
- To protect laborers children and mothers with labor regulations and social provision.
The Third Great Awakening sought to reach people outside the United States and set up missions and schools to educate the populations they believed that Christ would not return to earth until everyone was saved.
The Social Gospel Movement was a movement brought on by Protestants in the Progressive Era they believed that Christ would not come until all social ills were exterminated, which included drinking and gambling.
- The presidential election of 1912 was a four way race that brought out third party candidates and a former president learn about the candidates their platforms and Woodrow Wilsons major accomplishments.
- During the Progressive Era from approximately 1900 to 1918 progress for many African Americans was hard to come by explore some of the inequalities African Americans faced and learn about notable African American leaders of the era including Ida B. Wells Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. Du Bois.
- One of the most eye opener invention of the progressive era is The Wright brother's first successful airplane they made the first practical fixed wing aircraft which was able to control a mechanical fixed wing which made flight possible.
- The brothers made a fundamental breakthrough was their big invention of the three axis control which mad it able for the pilot to steer the aircraft effectively and to maintain its equilibrium in the air this method became standard on fixed wing aircraft of all kinds.
- From the beginning of their aeronautical work the Wright brothers focused on unlocking the secrets of control to conquer the flying problem rather than developing more powerful engines as some other experimenters did.
- Their careful wind tunnel tests produced better aeronautical data than any before enabling them to design and build wings and propellers more effective than any before which helped them make a successful airplane.
- There breakthrough made it possible to fly all over the world fight in wars and enjoy this incredible invention that is still use to this day.
Characteristics of the progressive era include purification of the government modernization a focus on family and education prohibition and womens suffrage.
Many Progressives sought to rid the government of corruption and muckraking became a particular type of journalism that exposed waste corruption and scandal on a national level.
Two of the most important outcomes of the Progressive Era were the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Amendments the first of which outlawed the manufacturing sale or transport of alcohol and the second of which enfranchised women with the right to vote.