Fork Shoals Library Ledger
News for the week of December 10th
Looking for the perfect holiday book?
- The Jar of Fools: Eight Hanukkah Stories from Chelm by Eric Kimmel
- My Hanukkah by Monica Hughes
- Chanukah by Trudi Strain Trueit
- How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Chanukah? by Jane Yolen
- Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins by Eric Kimmel
- Chanukah Lights Everywhere by Michael Rosen
- When Mindy Saved Hanukkah by Eric Kimmel
- Papa's Latkes by Michelle Edwards
- A Child Was Born: A First Nativity Book by Grace Maccarone
- Merry Christmas, Everywhere! by Arlene Erlbach
- Feliz Navidad: Two Stories Celebrating Christmas by Jose Feliciano
- A Pioneer Christmas by Barbara Greenwood
- The Miracle of the First Poinsettia: A Mexican Christmas Story by Joanne Oppenheim
- 12 Days of Christmas by Rachel Isadora
- 'Twas the Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore
- A Pirate's Night Before Christmas by Philip Yates
- A Bad Kitty Christmas by Nick Bruel
- The Gingerbread Pirates by Kristin Kladstrup
- Pete the Cat Saves Christmas by Eric Litwin
- Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas by Jane O'Connor
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
- What Child Is This? by Caroline B. Cooney
- The Christmas Genie by Dan Gutman
- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
- and dozens more!
- Seven Candles for Kwanzaa by Andrea Davis Pinkney
- The Story of Kwanzaa by Donna L. Washington
- Celebrate Kwanzaa by Carolyn Otto
- My First Kwanzaa Book by Deborah M. Newton
- The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Wendy Pfeffer
- December by Robyn Brode
- Winter Celebrations by World Book
- How Do You Know It's Winter? by Allan Fowler
- When Winter Comes by Nancy Van Laan
- and many more!
Our December PTA meeting is Monday, December 10th, at 6:30 PM. Please join our 2nd graders as they perform their play entitled, “The Unity Tree”. You will see many IB attitudes learned in this production!
4th/5th grade chorus holiday concert
Our chorus will perform on Tuesday, December 11th, at 6:30 PM. You do not want to miss this performance to see and hear how creative and balanced our students are as our Honors Chorus performs!
Book of the Week: Polar Opposites by Erik Brooks
Polar Opposites by Erik Brooks, a nominee for the 2012-13 South Carolina Picture Book Award, is about a polar bear and a penguin and how they are opposites in every way. One lives in the Arctic; the other lives in the Antarctic. One is neat; one is messy. The list goes on and on, and there are even some "opposites" that are not outright mentioned. I especially enjoyed learning that one is a Republican while the other is a Democrat (glimpsed in campaign posters on their walls). Both are baseball fans, but one pulls for the Red Sox while the other roots for the (hated) Yankees.
This book teaches lessons on opposites as it lets readers know that it's okay to be different; we can always meet in the middle. (In this case, the Galapagos Islands!)
The text in this book is very easy to read, and the illustrations are absolutely charming and have tons of little details that older readers will appreciate. A definite winner!
Help 5th grade!
Dates to remember:
- December 10 - PTA meeting & 2nd grade play
- December 11 - 4th & 5th grade chorus holiday concert
- December 14 - Spirit Day; Labels for Education collection day
- December 16 - Deadline to order a yearbook
- December 20-January 1 - Winter break