BHS School Counseling Newsletter
2016-2017 Volume 3 Issue 4
It's hard to believe that the fourth quarter is upon us! While it is exciting to enjoy the longer days and nice weather, it is important that we stay on top of all of the academic demands that come along at this time of year. In addition to the PARCC, NECAP, and AP exams scheduled, there are also proficiency assessments and final exams. As school counselors, we are here to support our students throughout this process. We would like to remind students that they can exercise healthy habits during this quarter that will help minimize stress and increase preparedness for assessments. Here are some suggestions:
- Develop a schedule to begin studying early and avoid “cramming”
- Organize class notes and do practice problems before in-class reviews for exams
- Ask teachers and/or peer tutors for extra help if needed
- Review previous tests and quizzes taken during the semester
- Organize a study group and prepare questions beforehand that you can ask your group and help keep the group on task (compare notes, quiz one another, etc.)
- Eat a good dinner and get enough sleep the night before a test
- Eat breakfast and arrive to school early on the day of the test
- Remember to BREATHE!
Upcoming Dates & Deadlines
May 1st-12th - AP Exams
May 5th - Last day to register for the June 10th ACT
May 6th - United States Service Academy Day at CCRI Warwick, 9:00 am - Noon
May 8th - 2017 Providence National College Fair at the RI Convention Center 5:30-8:30 pm
May 9th - Last day to register for the June 3rd SAT
May 15th-17th - PARCC testing - Algebra I, Algebra II and Geometry
May 17th - Senior Project Presentation day
May 22nd-24th - NECAP Science testing - Grade 11
May 26th, 30th and 31st - Senior Final Exams
June 3rd - Senior Friendship Service, 2:00 pm
June 4th - Graduation, 2:00 pm
June 20th-23rd - Final Exams - Grades 9-11
Save the Date! - September 28th, 2017
- Complete the “Personality Interest Profiler” on Naviance if you have not done so already.
- Update your resume on Naviance.
- Use the results of your “Career Interest Profiler” on Naviance to identify 2 careers of interest.
- Update your resume on Naviance.
Junior Workshop — Planning for Your Future: College & Career Development
The School Counseling department will be running a workshop for juniors during advisory on May 25th. Counselors will provide students with an overview of the following:
- Pathways after graduation
- Continuing to explore career and college opportunities
- Completing a strong resume
- The Common Application
- Creating a Common Application account online
- Requesting teacher recommendations
- The College Essay
Our goal is to make all juniors aware of the steps that they can take before the end of their junior year, as well as over the summer, in order to continue planning for their future career and/or college studies.
- Continue to check the School Counseling Website to view available scholarship opportunities.
- Prepare for your Senior Project Presentation
- Finalize your ILP by completing your Graduation Survey on Naviance (Available as of May 11th)
- You have worked so hard — Best wishes to you as you move on to the next phase of young- adulthood!
Senior Transition Groups
- Are you feeling nervous about life after high school?
- Do you get stressed out about big life changes?
- Are you worried about the substance use on college campuses?
- Do you feel like everyone around you has a plan for next year but you?
If you answered yes to any one of these questions, you may want to consider joining one of the senior transition groups that the School Counseling Department will be running during the fourth quarter. Please contact your school counselor if you are interested in learning more about these groups and may want to participate.
Student Assistance Program News
FLEX YOUR FACE IS COMING TO BHS!!!
Barrington, RI 02806
Follow us on Twitter: @bhsri_guidance